Should I invest into a lead sled before going further?

because factory ammo is ready to go no working up loads just to shoot milk jugs. But when i dont shoot the factory up fast enough and try to use it for other things, like paper punching, it usually sucks.

I know not all guns will shoot touching groups at 100 yards but if this is the best i can expect then this gun isnt staying around for long.

Just keep switching ammo untill you find what your gun likes. A hundred strokes of JB bore cleaner might settle it down. You also might pull the action out of the stock and look for anything like a bur or trash around the action or recoil lug. Retork the action screws to 60 inch pounds. This thing ought to be a shooting machine. If all else fails have a gunsmith check it out. Take him targets and cases when you take him your rifle. You still haven't eliminated the scope as the problem.

If you mess with rifles long enough you'll run across a lemon. Somtimes they can be fixed buy the least little adjustment, but sometimes they make you pull all your hair out!

Don't give up yet!

Quote:I know not all guns will shoot touching groups at 100 yards but if this is the best i can expect then this gun isnt staying around for long...Noobie, Don't let yourself get frustrated too soon...I know it's a pain in the neck, but lets eliminate most of the normal factors to inaccuracy before giving up on the rifle...

There are lots specific ideas that don't cost an arm and a leg to solve a problem, if you are willing to adopt an investigative frame of mind and utilize a degree of patience..

I recently acquired a nice .308 that started out giving me fits in the accuracy department, but I had installed a scope that I had sitting on the shelf (not expensive, not cheap) and I couldn't get Lake City military or Federal hunting rounds to stay on the paper(we're talking about a one foot group)...It has a great blue printed and bedded action, sniper grade barrel, and a trigger that you just breath on...

004.jpg

I've replaced the scope and waiting for this heat wave to pass to get it to the range, so I'm going to be going through some of what you are dealing with..especially if this different scope has the same results..

I really want to start working up loads for it, but it will be a waste of time until I'm confident that I know it's general capabilities..And YES, I will Lead Sled it throughout the process...
grin.gif

I just reread this thread and looks to me like there are several people that want to see ol' Noobie be successful, and that is sure good to see. Hang in there, Noob, and keep in mind that the your gun just needs to minute-of-critter that your shooting at. It is great to get to shooting 1/2 inch groups like what all of us on the internet are guilty of gabbing about at one point or another, but don't let it get you down that it isn't happening as quick as you hope. Burning powder is always more fun if you can remember that your working on your own project and not someone else's. (read that as job) Good luck.

haha its just frustrating because i was hoping to get the gun shooting good so that i can make a trip to the summit gopher hunting. Ive got about 2 weeks left untill its wortless gopher hunting but i was up there last week or the week before and they were EVERYWHERE and they have no fear of humans, I rode my dirtbike within 10 feet of quite a few and they just got down on all 4's but never ran. My usual hunting spot for gophers you cant drive within 200 yards before they are gone. I can still take the 10/22 but i want both guns because if i was capable i could easily shoot out to 200 yards at gophers. If i could just get the groups to shrink even 1/4" of an inch and just become more consistant then i wouldnt worry.

Anyone got some recomendations as far as what factory ammo to try? i was thinking about getting some 40 or 45 grainers 55 and 68 grain loads just to cover the spectrum or should i just get 3 different types of 55 grain bullets?

Cabelas has some Fiocchi 50 grain Vmax loads on sale for $22.00 per 50, then im looking at some hornady superformance, but they are $20.00 per 20.

EDIT: OldTurtle you restocked your SPS Tactical, do you think a new stock might help shrink the groups? pending its not a major scope error? I was reading the reviews of stocks online and guys were putting new stocks on there SPS Varmints and claim to have shrunk some of their groups by half. Like I said earlier at this point in my shooting life im not after 5 shots through 1 hole. I just want a consistant group similar to like what i shot with my dads .22-250

Last edited:
Quote:OldTurtle you restocked your SPS Tactical, do you think a new stock might help shrink the groups? pending its not a major scope error..I bought the rifle from RePete and he had already put the HS stock on it, so I don't know exactly what improvement it made..

But it shoots great with most of my loads from 40gr-60gr...(1.25" groups at 200yards off of a front rest)..and that's probably more my error than the rifles..

I've never put factory rounds through it, so I don't really have a baseline from that standpoint..

anyone else have any favorite factory loads?

Im planning on

Hornady Super Formance
Winchester Ballistic Silver tip (yea that expensive stuff in the shiny case with black bullet)
Then probably the Fiocchi

I have always got along real well with the winchester white box 45 grain hollow points. Cheap, accurate, and make a mess out of little varmints. Shot about .75 out of my 9 twist savage .223

I would suggest letting someone else shoot the gun, preferably someone that you know can shoot.

You group with the .22-250 wasn't bad.

The difference could also be in the trigger. Heavy triggers make it easier to flinch while you are taking up the slack. New shooters will be prone to this. How does your trigger compare to the other gun?

Hearing protection is important because a flinch is often due to the blast and not the kick.

I got bored and clean the barrel out nice and good, Those cleaning patches were coming out whiter than when they went in!
lol.gif

Still no chance to get factory ammo but when I do im taking my dad shooting and having him shoot it.

Would this be a good or bad sign? I ran a brush with hoppes on it through the barrel then filled the barrel with gun slick foaming bore cleaner and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Came back and pushed the foam out like stated. I had no visible evidence of copper fouling (blue foam i think?) there was plenty of black foam but none was blue? would you consider this a good sign or a bad sign?

The trigger on the 250 felt quite a bit lighter but i wouldnt know for sure unless i sat down and fired them one right after the other. For being "adjustable" the Xmark pro trigger that came in the gun sure doesnt feel like it gets lighter

Last edited:
Ok I went and got a box of Fiocchi ammo loaded with 50 grain V-Max bullets (forgot to grab a box of 55 as well untill i got out to the car) I also got a box of 69 grain BTHP Prvi Partizan. Yea i know the prvi is not match ammo like it claims but its all they had in the heavy bullet weights. Cabelas was flat clean out when i was in there.

Anyways i shot a 10 shot group with the Fiocchi and a 6 shot with the Prvi.
IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

Still not the results im looking for. and now instead of shooting a bit high and a bit to the left its shooting high and far to the right ([beeep]). The PRVI looks like it grouped a bit better. Im about to mount the old scope back up and go shooting again.

Oh and both of these groups were shot after i shot two 25 shot groups out of the 10/22. I was Very calm after shooting the .22lr groups calm enough that when i thought i had one more shell in with the first 10 shot group and really didnt i didnt flinch at all when the gun didnt go off.

Old scope was a no go. It only goes to 8x and its crosshairs were so thick that i couldnt even see the bullseye. The group was even worse than before. Not worth taking a picture of. So now i dont think its the scope i think its either the gun or me or both. Didnt want to get a lead sled but it looks like ill be ending up with one here in a few weeks.

Quote:I ran a brush with hoppes on it through the barrel then filled the barrel with gun slick foaming bore cleaner and let it sit for about 30 minutes...Noobie, I've found that if I'm cleaning copper out of the barrel, I'll use the foaming bore cleaner, but fill the barrel and tilt the rifle with the muzzle down, so the barrel will drain down on a clean patch or cloth, and let it sit overnight, just to give the cleaner time to work on any layers of copper that might be present..It's a "patience" thing..
rolleyes.gif

Then ten strokes with a nylon brush and patch it out.. Be sure to wipe down your rod between brushing and patching, as failure to do so can leave a residue transfer..Seldom does it take more than three or four patches...

To offset your thick cross hairs in the reticle,,,try using a larger aiming point that allows you to center the reticle on it,,,Save one of you mother's tin can lids, etc and make some equidistant marks at four points around the edge for reticle alignment...even the same idea on a milk jug would work...If you can hold the same sight picture on your point of aim, the group should be consistently tight....
thumbup1.gif

Quote:For being "adjustable" the Xmark pro trigger that came in the gun sure doesnt feel like it gets lighterYou need to remove the barrel\l/action from the stock and make the adjustment,,,,using the instructions that came with the rifle...Mine is down to about 1.5#....

Last edited:
Well that would be why its not adjusting. but how come the remington video on youtube says to take the included allen wrench with the gun and twist the screw thats on the trigger to lighten trigger pull? is that screw thats on the outside just fake so that people think they are adjusting the trigger?

I dont have the manual for my gun, when i sent it back to cabelas to have the smith dull the feed ramp edges he somehow lost my manual and couldnt find it.
glare.gif

The gun wasnt really that dirty, it had a fair amount of powder coming out but copper wasnt even showing up. Maybe it would if i soaked it over night but i would think that after two 30 minute soaks i would have at least seen a hint of copper colored foam coming out.

New scope is back on the gun (with the old one the way i was aiming was taking the crosshair of the gun and matchng it witt the cross hair lines on the target, they intercepted right at the bullseye so that was the best i could do) and im going to give some 75-77 grain bullets a try just for fun. Maybe see if the gun doesnt just like the heavy bullets. My dads taking it shooting tomorow.

Noobie, HERE is a You Tube video on one adjustment...I think the one you're talking about...
Here are some more comments on the subject..

Last edited:
Yup thats the video i watched.

Looks like im not the only one thats not a huge fan of the trigger. If i end up restocking the gun its deffinately going to get a new trigger. It will probably just end up being a Timney but it should hopefully be a bit better. Just so many IF's that i dont know yet.

Back