Side arm for grizzlies

Most folks carry a .44; by far the most popular. Then comes the mighty .500 S&W. Buddy of mine carries the .44 mag Desert Eagle and loves it.

Spray doesn't work in the sense you would think. The big cloud of stuff and the loud hissing sound are what stops/turns the bear. It doesn't burn them like a human.

Last edited:
you all need to study and do your home work a grizzly will try avoid a human not unless you give them a reason. Bear spray would be more effective if you happen to encounter any than you trying to pull you hand gun out and trying to kill it. I have hunted black bear in the middle of grizzly country in Wyoming this year both spring and fall and every grizzly I seen or encountered stay away from humans if possible. Bear Spray all the way.

Originally Posted By: KizmoTranslation: He missed, but it was caught on camera, so we had to come up with something.

You hit it on the head amigo! Gotta love the "spin" that media will put on anything...

Here's a bunch of scattered thoughts from a Flatlander that has done enough hunting, fishing, hiking, working around the country in "bear country" to have seen a few things that have changed my opinions about bear defense. I don't tend to believe everything I read in gun mags or on gun forums, so I take the time to ask the locals whenever I have a chance to go somewhere. I'm no expert on bear defense (and I may not be convinced there is such a thing), but killed a pair of bear, and I've spent about 15yrs in and out of different bear country, talking to local folks, hunters/fishermen, and guides (hunting and fishing both), and 20yrs burning powder in big bore handguns, DGR's, and "mid-bore rifles". I've also used these weapons on game a lot heavier than bear enough to know how they perform.

There's a lot of "theory" out there, but there surely aren't a lot of folks that have real experience defending themselves against attacking bears... There's also a lot of cynicism out there to criticize any given technique. "File down the front sight so it doesn't hurt when the bear shoves it up your hind end..." "Guides carry rifle so they can shoot the bear from a distance while it eats their customer..." "Buckshot only [beeep] them off..." "Use pepper spray, bears like a little seasoning with their meals..." None of it is well proven OR DISPROVEN, because it just doesn't happen on a daily basis.

We also see that a LOT of what gets spewed around the lower 48 about what happens in Alaska just isn't true... "bush pilots carry Ruger Alaskans in 454..." "Guides carry Marlin 1895's..." I've done a bit of Salmon fishing off of the coast up north, and spent a summer working in a fish cannery in Naknek, as well as a bit of time hiking in parts of the southern Range (still need to get up to the northern reach of the Tanana Valley). After those experiences, I pretty much threw everything that the gun mags told me about bear defense out the window. While part of me still hangs onto those 'legends,' I guess I'm more prone to believe 99% of all of it is over-hyped, and have become more accepting that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I'll also say that in the time I have spent around the US in bear country, the ONLY locals I have ever seen that carried bear spray were eastern US folks in black bear country. Maybe that's due to local laws about handguns, maybe it's because black bears are so unlikely to attack, or maybe it's just a cultural thing. BUT, I think it says something that everybody I've seen out west or north carry guns. I've drank beer with local guys that made fun of "tourists" for hiking with "bug spray and sleigh bells" on their belts. The guys I fished with in Alaska also said that if you ever see a "snubby in a chest rig" (i.e. Alaskan in a "Guide's Choice"), you can be assured it's not a local - as they said most of them actually carried 4-6" barreled single action revolvers, or hauled a long gun.

So, if you're just picking and choosing what YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN, then there's only really a few things that you need to consider when it comes to your decision. The reality is that only a CNS hit is going to immobilize a bear.

1) Missing means nothing you just did matters. Time is precious, ammo is limited, and blowing a big hole in the dirt won't save your life (other than hoping that the muzzle blast discourages the bear).

2) Only a CNS hit will immobilize the bear "instantly". Vital hits will assuredly kill it, but you might be dead first. The profile of the CNS when a bear is charging you is a pretty [beeep] good shot, especially with one panicked hand. Whether we all agree that a grizzly on "kill mode" LSD can keep fighting after its heart is blown out its hind end or not, any hunter knows that vitals hits aren't instant killers. Even if it's 30 seconds for the bear to drop, that's much longer than it takes for them to rush and inflict a killing blow on a human.

3) Standing still is the best way to shoot accurately, but it's also the best way to get caught. My line manager at the cannery said the best advice he could give in the event of a charge was "don't stand there with your d*** in your hand". Having spent a lot of my life fighting bulls, I can vouch for the fact that while almost ANY animal with 4 legs can outrun a human with two legs, it's simple fact that a human can TURN our 2 legs faster than they can turn 4. My old bosses advice was to get the F out of the way by moving to the sides (much like bullfighting), then if it keeps engaging - very rare after an initial charge, supposedly, then you have the opportunity to place your shots where you want them with better presentation to the SIDE view CNS (see note 2). Grizzly's predominantly aren't hunters, whereas running from a wolf might incite a predatory drive, griz are more apt to be rushing you out of territorial infringement (not that they won't eat you afterwards, of course), so they're prone to advance until the "intrusion" is relaxed. At least that's what they told me, I've been fortunate to never have to test it out.

4) One problem with pepper spray is that it means at least one of your hands are on something OTHER than a lethal solution. One handed shooting is less accurate than two handed shooting, and drawing a less-lethal solution first means you DIDN'T draw your lethal solution. So it would never, in my opinion, make sense to carry both. You're only going to have time to use one. Maybe you can use your handgun to shoot a bear off of your partner when his pepper spray fails/misses? Also, it's not a unidirectional weapon. I HAVE used pepper spray (and been sprayed in training as well), and whether you're the sprayer or the sprayee, your day sucks, and most of the next week...

5) Access speed to your weapon needs to be proportionate to the proximity that an attack could come from. If you're out fishing on a sandbar in the middle of the day and can see for miles in any direction, you probably don't need to have your weapon at low ready. When we were riding atv's on trails through thicker brush in hilly terrain with visibility measured in tens of feet, my buddy kept his 35whelen across his lap.

6) If you're in Canada, especially as an American, your options are shotguns and rifles, no handguns. So if you would spend much time in BOTH US and Canada, it might make more sense to pick a long gun than a handgun so you're not reaching for your revolver when your carrying a rifle over your shoulder instead.

7) Finally, the real reality is that the likelihood of needing ANY type of defense is less-than-minimal. The rumor-mill would have you believe that you're more likely to have a grizzly encounter than not, and of course, the stories make it seem like bears only have one speed - full on charge. As much time as I spent LOOKING for bears in the open, it's been a rare and fortunate chance to actually see them (not including guided hunts, of course). Even at the cannery when it was at least one or two bears a week would stroll through, they're just not that prone to attacking/charging.

When I've been fishing up in AK, I carried either a Marlin 1895 45-70 (because I bought the gun magazine hype that EVERYONE in Alaska had one) or a Rem 870 12ga, always with a 44mag on my hip (as I can be found most days that I'm OC'ing). The fishing guides we went with said it was overkill to have both, but never said anything negative about any of those options.

The hunting guides I have worked with to hunt up there have suggested 7mm RM, 300wm, or 338wm rifles as "standard," but I have asked 4 of them whether they would recommend AGAINST that Marlin 1895GS 45-70. None said there was anything wrong with it, just that the range might be short (with a confident FIELD range of 300yrds, they all conceded that I'd be just fine).

I'm not necessarily convinced, after owning them, that super short heavy magnum revolvers like the Alaskan in 480 or 454 make sense for that purpose. Rightfully so, as I mentioned, the local AK'ers criticized 'tourists' for carrying them, because they can't shoot them well. You more often hear local guys say they cut a Ruger SRH down to 4-6", rather than 2.5", if you handle one, you can see why. They're not really inaccurate, but they're [beeep] hard to shoot accurately, especially quickly.

Enough of my rambling. If you pick a 44mag and you can shoot it well, you'll be just as safe as you can be, considering the circumstance that you're facing a large animal that can kill you instantly. If you pick a bolt action rifle and can mount it fast, you'll do just as well as anyone can in that situation. If you haul a 12ga shortbarrel scattergun and can get it off of your shoulder quickly, same deal, it's a crappy situation, so your odds are as good as any...

Last edited:
Well thot out post Varminterror ! Thank you for bringing up the comments about filing off the front sight. .
There are some points I disagree with you on, mostly on the amount of encounters. This year there have been several mailings in Anchorage and its surrounding area . Places like Sitka have a very high rate of bear encounters many of which result in some form of harm to the person.
I have little idea of the total number of times I've hid behind a gun in a bear encounter/ attack attack but its well above 70. My current 458 I've hid behind the most behind my primary rifle for many years. Hence " gumboot 458 ".
I've run off bears with 9 mm, 40 S+W , 357, 44 mag, 45 Colt, 480 Ruger hand guns. Most times never having fired a shot . Bears are smart and will figure out real quick if you are going to stand and kill them. They are illiterate [beeep] and haven't read that a 9 mm pistol won't kill them. . Maybe growing up where and when I did gives me a leg up in a fight. And trust me an encounter with a bear.IS A FIGHT. Bears fight and kill to live. They are programed to take what they want by force. A person just needs to convince them that they will loose the fight. . Some people " feel" they can live in a symbiotic relationship with nature. I really don't. If they are going to mess with me or mine I'm gonna kill them. But. I don't bother them much if they don't bother me. I don't fish on rivers and criks and they don't show up where I am. Once they figure that out we get along fine. If someone wants to fool around fishing in their fishing holes, well, just understand you are where they Need to be.
Besides fresh water caught salmon are less than tasteful for a saltwater guy. .

My advice on bear protection, . Have the mind set that you will win every bear encounter you will have, then arm yourself as best you can.
I think the SRH Alaskans are great pistols. However a short barreled single action 454 or larger revolver like a Model 83 4 5/8" is really an experts handgun. Where as a G20 loaded with BB 220 gr cast TC is easy to hit with. And hits are what count.
A chambered rifle in your hands is faster to get a good shot off than a handgun in a holster.

Last edited:
Big bore hand guns all have one the same huge down side, "No Sight Picture" after first round is fired. Personally I would choose a firearm that allows for continuos target site picture, and rapid firing of more rounds.

M.

Originally Posted By: crapshootWhat ever you choose, remember to save the last round for yourself.

That is just bs. And I've shot for my life with a 44 mag on a brown bear!!!
I'm not trying t be mean or arrogant, but really.

Last edited:
Said mostly in guest but there could be an ounce of truth to it. I'd rather eat a bullet than be pulled apart by a grizz and turned to scat.

Quote:Said mostly in guest but there could be an ounce of truth to it. I'd rather eat a bullet than be pulled apart by a grizz and turned to scat.....The reality of it though is that even by eating a bullet, you will probably still be pulled apart by the Griz and still be turned into scat...The nicer part is that you won't be aware of it at the time it happens...
tongue_smilie.gif

I know at least 6 people that have been hit by to severely mauled by brown bear. Everything in their being was fully concentrated on surviving. . To the extent of walking out holding their intestines and private parts inside. Putting their scalp back up on their heads and holding in on ect. . . Go spend a bunch of time in densely populated brown bear country. Gollleee. Man up heck women up. As one of the most severely mauled person was a woman in her 60 s.
Not everyone is as out to lunch as Tim treadwell.

Besides. A big bear will just pop your skull like a watermelon which leads immediately to lights out.

Stupid side is just NOT A VIABLE OPTION and all the people I know that have been under a bear will tell you how precious life is. !!!!

Again, sorry for being rough but.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gumboot458
Besides. A big bear will just pop your skull like a watermelon which leads immediately to lights out.

if you get lucky that is what will happen. if you not lucky you end up like the ones you talk about with guts hanging out, scalp off and shredded apart before dieing and getting ate.

Originally Posted By: gumboot458There are some points I disagree with you on, mostly on the amount of encounters. This year there have been several mailings in Anchorage and its surrounding area . Places like Sitka have a very high rate of bear encounters many of which result in some form of harm to the person.
I have little idea of the total number of times I've hid behind a gun in a bear encounter/ attack attack but its well above 70.

Gumboot, I don't mean my comments before to make it seem like "contact" doesn't happen, especially for folks like yourself that live in the thick of it, but rather trying to point out that the "if you go to Alaska, you'll have to fend off a real attack" is highly overstated. Sure, I'd never argue that contact happens a lot, but on a relative basis - especially for 'tourists' like myself that don't spend every day living within a hundred yards of 'bear woods,' it's a lower rate of occurrence than gun mags or youtube would have you believe. When I was at the cannery, we 'ran into bears' regularly as well, even though most of the time we were a lot more alarmed about the encounters than the bears.

And I think it's a good point to bring up that not all "bear country" is created equally. "Bear country" in your neck of the woods means an area where "you're going to see bear, and they'll be some species of brown that would love to eat you". "Bear country" in Yellowstone basically means "bear live around here, if you see one, it'll probably be a bruin, but grizzly are around". "Bear country" in the Appalachia's means "you probably won't see one, but you might accidentally sneak up on a bruin". So unfortunately for you, you're in one of the areas with highest rate of contact and highest risk of becoming lunch.

Originally Posted By: gumboot458My current 458 I've hid behind the most behind my primary rifle for many years.
I've run off bears with 9 mm, 40 S+W , 357, 44 mag, 45 Colt, 480 Ruger hand guns.

I snipped this apart because this was more of what I was trying to point out. You're obviously a local with a lot of experience with "bear contact," and you've chose to carry at least 7 different weapons as "bear medicine." I was more trying to point out that there's more than one way to skin a cat, and as you said, it doesn't take a minigun to deal with bear. Gun mags and online forums would have the rest of us that don't live there believe that ALL of you local fellas are carrying 338WM or 375H&H bolt rifles, and there's rarely any differentiation made between what someone needs to carry in Alaska compared to West Virginia.

Originally Posted By: NorthBig bore hand guns all have one the same huge down side, "No Sight Picture" after first round is fired. Personally I would choose a firearm that allows for continuos target site picture, and rapid firing of more rounds.

I can't say I agree with this bolded section, as it has not been my experience. If this is true for you, then you just need more range time with your revolver. Big Bore Revolvers do come with a steep learning curve and take practice to develop the skill/mental toughness to manage them effectively - which can equally said for "mid to big bore DGR's".

In the context of this conversation/thread, I don't believe that a proper "bear medicine rifle" or DGR exists that "allows for continuous target sight picture". Maybe your DGR's weigh a lot more than mine, or you're shooting a lot lighter loads, but I can't say that I've ever owned a rifle 338wm or larger that didn't jump off of target when fired (or even 30-06+). I've owned enough of them to know what it means to pull off a "fast follow-up" with one. Even if a guy is fast on the sights and can get his muzzle down quickly, there's still a matter of the time it takes to run a magnum length bolt throw on top of that.

It hasn't been my experience that a DGR has an advantage over a big bore revolver in terms of either sight/target re-acquisition or shot-to-shot follow up speed (read "Split time"). I'd put good money against any one that they can't put up a 6" group at 25yrds (reasonably relevant for bear defense, no?) with a bolt action DGR in 458WM/Lott, 375H&H/Rug, 416Rig/Rug/Rem, or 338WM faster than I can with a 44mag or 454Cassull Revolver. And I'm nothing special with a revolver! He11, I wouldn't even feel bad about it if I lost, because I'd love to meet the man that can run a DGR that fast (and without question, even if that was accomplished by a female human being, she's more MAN than I am).

There ARE advantages for a Bolt Action DGR over a Big Bore Revolver, but sight acquisition and follow up speed aren't among them.

Now, if you're meaning to imply a semiauto rifle in a lower recoiling round like AR-10/LR308, M-1A, CETME etc in 308 or an AR-15 in 450BM/458Soc, or 500beo then again, I don't agree that these "allow continuous target sight picture." I will concede that they can run just as fast or a bit faster than a big bore revolver, but not significantly so. The recoil and muzzle jump is still there. If you're talking about anything smaller like an x39 or 5.56 semiauto, or any of the 6.5/6.8/x47 or 300blk, then I'd say that my experiences with these cartridges on 150-200lb game wouldn't compel me to trust them as a bear stopper, so that conversation wouldn't be fruitful.

It wasn't my goal to rely solely on small caliber auto loaders as bear protection
The various small autos were what was on me when a bear showed up. . Its hard for people to imagine living in a place where it is not uncommon to see over 30 different brown or black bear in a day of going to work and coming back to camp.
If I were looking for a bear protection revolver today it would either be a Ruger Toklat or the 5" 480 or the Ruger Redhawk in 44 or 45 Colt. But, I wouldn't hesitate a second to get a 7 1/2" SRH 480 or 454. They are pretty easy to hit with and I make my own holsters from 10 oz latigo leather. . Psychologically it made a big difference in me once I got my first 480 . I stopped letting the bears push me around . I don't, only pack a hand gun, I always have a rifle with me also. Usually a 416 or 458 Win Mag. . [beeep] technically I live in bear country now. There ain't no bears around here. Chichagof Island, now that's bear country same with Baronof, and Admiralty islands.

I always tried to have a rifle with me basically a handgun on your hip is to fight your way back to your long gun.

Check this guy out he's using a Marlin 1895GS

Varminterror ; most visitors to Alaska or the Yukon/ Northern BC come up here in the warm months when bears are out an.d about. One of the things I like to stress with bear encounters is that a successful outcome for the person and the bear. Is the persons mind set. Having a firearm available is of primary importance. It can give ya the courage to bluff the bear. Any firearm is better than no firearm. If I was awake and my hands didn't hurt I would prefer a 500 Smith and Wesson than a 9 mm auto loader. But if I was half awake in a tent I would prefer the autoloader. Another thing. If a 500 Smith and Wesson is too much recoil . It can be down loaded to 1100-1200 fps with a 400 gr bullet . Half asleep in a sleeping bag it is a lot easier to hang on to. Personally I think Ruger seriously dropped the ball by discontinuing the Super Redhawk Alaskan in 480 Ruger.
Rate of fire is not a primary factor with a long gun. A Ruger #1 in 458 Win Mag is a far better bear fighting rifle than a 45/70 with 6 or 7 rounds in the tube.
And if a person takes the time to fit a bolt rifle to themselves they will be very well armed for bear.
Most people don't put in the time with large bore high velocity rifles to get good with them. But if they will its amazing how good and fast a shot they can be.

Here is some interesting data from Dr. Tom White, a retired USGS bear researcher. He did a presentation for our company as we provide wildlife intervention (mostly polar and grizzly bear) for the project.

Let me say first off that this is not to infer that one shouldn't go afield with a handgun for bear protection. This data is presented solely for information. What is done with it is an individual's choice.

In 147 reported uses of pepper spray in Alaska, there was only a 3% injury rate of the user. And those were minor injuries in which the injured party was able to walk out. No bears in this reporting were injured.

Interestingly the firearms numbers were less positive. Out of 444 reported uses of firearms in Alaska to fend off a bear attack, 28% of the people sustained significant injury ranging from serious to fatal. These reports also accounted for 172 dead bears. I've nothing against dead bears but once you kill a grizzly in claimed self defense, Fish and Game takes a close look at the circumstances to determine if it was justified or not. Dr. White admitted that these were just the raw statistics and it was impossible based on the reportings to break it down by firearms user proficiency levels.

He also stated that neither pepper spray nor firearms were any use stowed in a pack.

Once again I post this simply for your information.

Good info.. but being skeptical I trust very few reports that come from any part of our Govt. Look at all of the so called scientific studies that are reducing our hunting land and species, and ammo that can be used. Could this be just another one of those?

I know what you mean about the government. However, I have met this fellow and he seems truly enthusiastic about bear research. He is actually working for BYU now and has compiled this data recently. He has spent his entire life in bear research and in talking to him he's definitely not a greenie, but a hunter and outdoorsman who happens to be a researcher.

After talking to him, I'm pretty convinced he was giving us straight information. He never advocated for not using firearms, he just presented his findings. This was a small portion of his presentation. He did a lot on polar bear biology and behavior as that's our biggest concern. He advocated having the bear spray as another tool in our arsenal in addition to our firearms.

Back