Snowshoe Hare Distress Call ??????

gumboot458

We don,t have cottontail or Jack Rabbits in Alaska , Anyone know who makes one of these ,, a snowshoe hare distress call ?????Thanks

The standard rabbit distress sounds work up there but be careful. Brown bears like the sound, too.

I lived in Juneau for 15 years.

You don't really believe that you need a distress sound that is from an animal that inhabits your area, do you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My favorite Foxpro sounds, that I use extensively here in Virginia are Jack Rabbit distress, Snowshoe Hare, and the African Princess Bird. The closest Jackrabbit is 2000 miles west of us, and the closest snowshoe is probably 500 miles north of us, and there ain't many African Princess Birds flying around the east coast of the U.S.

Just make it painful, full of agony with alot of emotion, they will come. Try some of FoxPro's jack sounds, Lil Jack, Lightening Jack, Dying Jack, bet the critters run over you, oops /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif look out for that bear.

So far all my blowing and my Johnny Stewart electronic calling has been for naught ................... @ 20 below , it would be nice to know I,m not totally wasting my time .....

Sceery game calls makes a "snowshoe" distress hand call. Im betting the coyotes can't tell the difference between any of them . All they know is this (insert dinner here) has a high voice and this (insert dinner here) has a deeper voice.

Quote:
PK1 sounds like excellent advice on staying alive!

Yup......The favored way of hunting Sitka blacktails is by calling them using a quail call to make a fawn distress sound. A fish biologist friend of mine called in a big brown bear that made a false charge on him slashing it's claws and scaring the [beeep] out of my friend. I personally never had a bear encounter that way. Mine were all while I was fishing.

When I hunted deer I always carried a 7mm Rem mag.

There are a lot of wolves on the larger islands in SE Alaska, too.

I have a Sceery APS-5 Snowshow hare call and a Johnny Stewart tape which by the way has been discontinued, but Dennis Kirk has snowshoe tapes.

Quote:
The standard rabbit distress sounds work up there but be careful. Brown bears like the sound, too.

Yeah.....I don't do any night calling until well into December. That's kinda like calling in an airstrike on your own position.

Back