So you want a 6mm/AR.....

Wow! This project looks interesting. I am thinking of getting an upper that I can hunt deer and antelope with and these 6mm calibers would probably fit the bill.

After doing a bit of reading, the two that I am the most interested in would be the 6mm DTI and the 6x45. I really like the ease of the 6x45 but the extra bit of velocity with the DTI really wets my appetite!

I have a couple of questions:

1. What kind of velocities are you getting with 85 grain bullets? I am thinking of using the 85 grain partition or the Interbond.
2. Where are some photos that I can see the actual round or better yet, do you have a case drawing with dimensions?
3. Are standard 6.8 magazines used or do they need to be modified?
4. Prices, where are they prices! Of barrels, uppers and dies?

Thanks for your help!!!

Sledboy,

It is still pretty early in load development for some of the velocities. Before Venatic got his, my top velocities for the 80 bullet was about 3100 FPS. Now he tried some different powder and has bumped that velocity up to about 3300 FPS!

That being said, with a 22" barrel and a load that shoots 5 shots into about .370", I am getting 3000 FPS with an 85 grain bullet. I took a nice white tail last fall with this load and a 85 grain Nosler partition.
DSC_0067_s3.jpg

The standard 6.8 magazines work perfectly. I have tried everything from 5-round mags all the way up to 25-round mags by both PRI and C-Products and have had no problems at all.

I stock dies, and can drop you a PM with some pricing.

Here's a picture of one of my 6mm DTI's during load development.
DSC_0321_s.jpg

Besides case difference, what else is different b/w the 6mmDTI and the 6x45?

I want the 6x45, but the extra velocity in the 6mm looks good also.

If I missed it in a search, please excuse my ignorance. I lurk more than I post... I've been a member for about a year, but hardly post. Sadly, I forget about this forum because my Mozilla will not put it in the favorite URLs visited... that will change soon though. Thanks for all your input so far.

Last edited:
The case capacity is quite a bit more, and has sharper shoulders. In this case, the sharper shoulders allowed for more powder capacity, and a more efficient burn.

It takes a different bolt and magazine than the 6 x 45 as well.

Thanks Mike... As I read, the 6mmDTI is the 6.8SPC case necked down to 6mm.

the 6x45 (as the notation suggests) is the .223 necked up to the 6mm... both have shoulders, but the 6mmDTI has the 30* shoulder?

If this is the case, both barrels would be 6mm barrels, am I right? The only difference would be the barrel extension, and bolt....

What else am I missing? I'm interested in both... and really only looking at barrels, as I build my own upper assemblies. What reloading resources do you suggest to load for either one?

They are both 6mm barrels, and can be done in whatever twist-rate matches your need.

The bolt on the DTI is going to be a 6.8 SPC bolt-face, but the barrel-extensions are the same on either.

Not sure what you mean by "reloading resources" but I stock dies for both, and have quite a bid of data for both as well.

I do sell just barrels, and use Shilen's top of the line blanks, the Select Match stainless.

Back