speaking of polymer lowers...

I handled another one this weekend on a buddies gun, and I am still an forged alum kinda guy. I keep thinking I'm gonna buy one, but I can't bring myself to do it...

Last edited:
I have 2 of the upgraded NF lowers both mine came with polymer pins. The fit and function of these lowers is great, if there is anything I would worry about on them it is the polymer pins. but only time will tell, I only have about 150 rounds thru 1 so far, but so far so good.

OK, I found where I *thought* I read steel pins. Guess I must of dreamed it. Sure no mention of it here.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersJust an FYI:

ALL of the New Frontier Armory lowers that we are shipping out from 3/1/2012 and later will have redesigned, upgraded takedown pins. The new redesign will keep them from pulling out as easy as with the Plum Crazy lowers and initial run of the New Frontier lowers and will be more rigid. They will also have a redesigned Fire Control Group that won't allow the safety to be engaged with the hammer forward.

This will be on Serial #'s NLV2000+

If you look at all the rifles and pistols out there that are a mix of poly and steel, it shouldn't matter. I have a few pistols that are built that way and after years of use their still fine. I have no problem using a steel pin until a new one shows up, except i'm out of pins.

It just looks like a fluke and won't stop me from getting another when i need one. I broke the p.c. in under a 6.8 and it came through with flying colors, this type of lower is all i'll be using from now on.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOK, I found where I *thought* I read steel pins. Guess I must of dreamed it. Sure no mention of it here.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersJust an FYI:

ALL of the New Frontier Armory lowers that we are shipping out from 3/1/2012 and later will have redesigned, upgraded takedown pins. The new redesign will keep them from pulling out as easy as with the Plum Crazy lowers and initial run of the New Frontier lowers and will be more rigid. They will also have a redesigned Fire Control Group that won't allow the safety to be engaged with the hammer forward.

This will be on Serial #'s NLV2000+

DC,
I Got my upgraded pins today for the 2 lowers I got from Joebobs and they are polymer. I had problems with my pins pulling out also. All Joebobs charged for shipping was $2.50. Joebobs really has their act together. I have ordered several items from them and they are top notch. Thanks Joseph.

I have a PC lower and can attest to the fact that the polymer is quite strong.While hunting an area this past year I was walking up a "frozen" stream. Needless to say, I broke throuth the ice. Fortunately my rifle was able to stop my decent into the icy water. I also used it to help pry myself out of my dilema. The weapon was cleaned and given a close visual inspection, then put back into use without a hickup. Based on this experience, this 200# man would have no issues with buying another.

I have a PC lower and was somewhat sceptical at first because of the "reported" problems with the early Bushmasters. I added the $10 JP springs, put hundreds of rounds through it and am very satisfied. Nice trigger, for stock, and it has functioned flawlessly. Little 16" pencil barrel, free float, vortex red dot and muzzle brake and it's an inexpensive, handy little carry gun.

I picked up my NFA lower from JoeBobs at my FFL today and pinned it on a Bushmaster upper this evening. It was a very tight fit at the rear pin and I used a diamond hone to remove a couple thousandths? from the reinforcing pads at the rear pin on the NFA lower. It then closed but was still a bit tight. I shot 10-15 rounds through it before dark just for function testing and it performed perfectly. The trigger is very acceptable and seemed to 'work in' after 40-50 controlled dry fires. I am very pleased with what I see thus far. TTT

Here's an update on my new frontier rear takedown pin problem, i called joebobs and they politly sent me to NF for the replacement parts i needed.

I called new frontier and left a phone message since they were closed at the time, I wasn't able to explain it all in the message so i left an email as well.

This morning, (the next day) i had a email from them stating that the parts i needed were on the way. Thats great customer service and as i have said before i will be getting another one soon. blue

I have 2 cav arms lowers. 1 isn't built yet the other is used for my wife because they fit her so well. I am building her a 6x45 upper and it will be her main hunting gun. I did receive one cav lowere that wasn't "welded" all the way in the mag well. They sent me a new one paid to ship the other one back and paid my ffl transfer fee. I am going to try thr NFA one when I find one because I have one of their 6x45 uppers that I love! I think they are a stand up company.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

Can the trigger parts be changed out for steel parts? I have an extra RRA trigger assy. Thanks PM me.

Yes.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

Can the trigger parts be changed out for steel parts? I have an extra RRA trigger assy. Thanks PM me.

I have been told any normal lower parts kit and triggers will drop into these.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HibsOriginally Posted By: willy1947

I have been told any normal lower parts kit and triggers will drop into these.

That is true, but you have too change all parts in the trigger group,you cant just change 1 or 2 parts its all or nothing.

Thanks for the help I just put a extra RRA NM trigger in my lower. I works fine changed all the parts out, no problems. Had to buy a new safety selector, I had replaced the trigger in my Magpul RRA with a Timney trigger 3#. The Timney pulls @ 2 1/2#. I had to try a Plum Crazy just once.

I will be using this AR with my night scope.

I have two rifles built with Plum Crazy Lowers. One rifle, at around 1000 rounds or so I noticed the safety getting kind of mushy, meaning the click from on-safe to fire wasn't as pronounced. I emailed Plum Crazy, they sent me a new safety, detent and spring. Back to a good click now. I have been happy with these lowers.
Anyone have both a plum crazy and NFA? The look very similar, what are the differences?

Originally Posted By: deputygeneI have two rifles built with Plum Crazy Lowers. One rifle, at around 1000 rounds or so I noticed the safety getting kind of mushy, meaning the click from on-safe to fire wasn't as pronounced. I emailed Plum Crazy, they sent me a new safety, detent and spring. Back to a good click now. I have been happy with these lowers.
Anyone have both a plum crazy and NFA? The look very similar, what are the differences?

From what I've heard, NFA is basically a direct copy of Plum Crazy, but they are built with "tougher" plastics. Not sure how the lower parts kits compare, they're both all plastic as far as I know? And the GENII NFA lowers have a few differences, i'm sure different from the plum crazies?

Back