Super Black Eagle II vs. .....

i have a full set of Pattern Master tubes and never take my extended range tube out (waterfowl or yotes)unless i am dove hunting. It patterns 3" number 4 steel shot beautifly for ducks. 3.5" BBB for geese and OO buck and 4buck for yotes.

I shoot a Benelli SBE 2 and really like it. It shoulders well and fits me perfectly.
P7270238.jpg

MY dad shoots a Beretta Xtrema II and it is a great gun as well. Feels alitlle more bulky however. Then again you are comparing a gas gun and an inertia driven system. My dad has the "kick-off" stock on his and I have to admit it recoils less than my Benelli.
On a side note however I also own a Mossberg 835. My 835 patterns better than both my SBE 2 and my dad's Xtrema II. I've experimented with quite a few chokes/loads with all three guns as well. I think the overbored barrels on the Mossbergs are what make them such great shooters.
P2130207.jpg

Beagler,

Im not calling you out on this, but wondering what the deal is with the optics? I dont know anyone that shoots a scattergun with glass on top.

Whats the benefit?

My berreta 390 has only jammed once and that was with estates field loads when it was VERY dirtie cause it had not been cleaned by the previous owner for 5 years. And it dosen't even kick.

the optics on a shotgun are nice when your not wingshooting. Alot of shotguns when you pattern them dont pattern the center of the paper where your aiming. I have a shotgun that shoots a foot low and left when patterning turkey loads but holds a sweet pattern. I put a reddot on it and not my pattern on the old gun hits dead center

Only trouble I've had with mine is when I 'bear down' too hard on the lite shells. i thought that would help, but it actually throws the bolt too fast over the next round. Hold the gun comfortably and let it operate like it was designed and it's flawless.

Now if I could just learn to wing shoot with the steadygrip stock, I'd be golden!

After looking and handling many shotguns, I’m very pleased with the purchase of the SuperNova. Of coarse, it’s not a semi-auto but:

Comes with three chokes w/tool and drop change kit (shims)

Vented rib and dual bead system

Tighter bore (.723) than most which helps with a tighter pattern

Intergraded (molded, cap/stock) studs for sling

Magazine stop button which will come in handy when squirrel or rabbit hunting, if I run a cross a hog I can eject the light load and insert a heavier load without empting or releasing additional rounds from the magazine.

Smooth action with no rattling (any) or free play in the fore-end assembly

The roomy trigger guard which will come in handy during the winter when I’m wearing gloves

The magazine cap that doubles as a tool to remove the trigger assembly which means I can break it down in the field, if needed.

I have the option for different comb inserts (check rest) on the stock (height and comfort)

All weather finish, The finish of the gun is well done and I haven’t found anywhere the finish doesn’t cover the gun.

Very well balanced, even though it’s a little heavier than others, I find it very easy to handle and my swing is smooth.

Dislikes:

It’s ugly, but that is a very small detail for all the likes

The trigger pull is 7.5 lbs (corrected, now 3.5 lbs), but no creep, etc.

Even though the recoil is noticeably less than the other pump guns I’ve shot, the standard pad is too hard and the manufacture comfortech gel recoil pad seems overly priced so I use a limbsaver pad.

However, I hope to own the fully auto AA-12 or Saiga-12
tongue_smilie.gif

Originally Posted By: Luke BaxterBeagler,

Im not calling you out on this, but wondering what the deal is with the optics? I dont know anyone that shoots a scattergun with glass on top.

Whats the benefit?

I use one mainly at night for faster acquisition because I have a hard time seeing the sight and I don't want to light up the barrel. Also during pattern testing, I found it much easier to adjust the POI which help with more uniform, and dense patterns. It also adds weight which helps reduce recoil too.

However, I remove the glass when squirrel, bird, etc hunting.

Originally Posted By: Luke BaxterBeagler,

Whats the benefit?
My shotguns throw some really tight patterns and I like using the dot instead of the bead. I can adjust the dot to exactly where my pattern is hitting. Also I do alot of night hunting. The red dot works fantastic in conjunction with my hunting lights. I don't have to worry about seeing my bead at night. Where the dot is located is where my pattern is going, regardless if my cheek is resting properly on the stock.
P1250309.jpg

I have owned 2 M1S90's, 2 SBE and I now shoot a SBE2. I do love my Benellis. But dont be fooled into thinking they are head and shoulders above the beretta or SX3. The do come apart a little easier, and are generally a little lighter. But they will jam with poor ammo or being dirty or very cold. The sbe 2 will not shoot 2 PMC steel shot shells in a row, which sucks because i have a few cases I bought cheap. Not saying the others dont but they are not fool proof. I am trying to find a m1 20 for my son, then I am am going to get a sx3 camo to try for this fall.
While field hunting last fall a watched the barrel lug come off the barrel on a older m1s90. I can vouch for this gun seeing 10,000 plus rounds, wear out 2 recoil springs and a Surecycle spring setup. It needed a rest anyway.

Originally Posted By: beaglerMy shotguns throw some really tight patterns and I like using the dot instead of the bead. I can adjust the dot to exactly where my pattern is hitting.

I know lots of folks that use optics on turkey guns.

002-11.jpg

Muskyman,
I've owned a bunch of different shotguns, and the 3" Super 90 suits me the best. I had a SBE for a while, but I never saw enough difference in the patterns to justify the extra recoil. The 3 1/2" heavy turkey loads are pretty brutal in a 7 1/2 pound gun. Lots of my buddies shoot them though, and they all have great results.
I had one problem with the SBE. The bolt head locking pin broke on mine. I got a replacement and a couple of spares from Brownell's and I kept them for my Super 90's after I traded off the SBE.

002-6.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the info. I went to Gander Mountain today and put my hands on 5 auto loaders that take 3 1/2s. The SBE II definately came up and felt the best of all of them. The only reservation that I can find for any of these guns is the fact that I dont think that any of them are really good with low brass 2 3/4 shells all of the time. I do dove hunt alot and as much money as these guns are I would prefer to be able to count on my gun for that too. Am I right in assuming that all of the 3 1/2 autoloaders are prone to jam with 2 3/4 shells?

The SBE I had functioned fine with the 1 1/8 ounce low brass loads. I don't think I ever shot any 1 ounce loads in it.

Anything is possible , depends mostly on the load. I have a bunch of heavy game loads that work well in my SBE2. However, I have a diff shotgun for light stuff.
Since I've been down the 3.5 " road,I'd proly just buy a 3" M2. Ammo and chokes are so good,3.5" isn't really needed.

i have shot over 8,000 loads of 1 1/8oz and never had a single jam in my SBEII. i clean it and take care of it when shooting light loads. Whne duck season rolls around its a different story. The guns stays in my boat all winter long i never bring it inside to clean or anything it lives in my gun box

Originally Posted By: Takemyou said for a fraction of the cost so I would take a look at the mossberg 935. Can't hurt to put it to your shoulder. I have a 930 and it's been flawless for years. I've watched multiple SBE2's and benelli m4's jam numerous times in the blind next to me. I will admit nothing handles and fits quite as nice as the SBE2 though.

Seriously, I have been around SBE and SBEII for a long time and have yet to see one jam. Saying Mossberg is more reliable than the Benelli is plumb crazy. Also we shoot M4 on occasion but have yet to see one in the duck or goose blinds.

Back