Super hogster on the way.

Very nice looking setup there Stephen. Should work very well for you.

Looking forward to future pics/videos of your hunts.

Ordered mine earlier this week and hoping it ships soon. If it comes in before the end of the month I'll take it to Montana on my annual hunt and use it as a scanner. When I get back I'll probably mount it on a Rem Model 7 I have waiting for something to do...

Originally Posted By: Borkborknomnomwhat exactly is the phenom??The Phenom is the Bering Optics 640x480 thermal scanner. It has been out since Shot Show last year. I had tested it early on and was waiting for a few enhancements before I recommended Night Goggles begin to carry.

I tested an updated version back in August and was super impressed. Night Goggles began to carry it about 1 month ago and we posted the review here. The video doesn't do this thermal justice. I sold my Pulsar Helion XP units as soon as I tested it. The image was that good.

Anybody using them magnetic usb-c cords from amazon to power super hogster from external power pack. Purchased (not received yet) a super hogster and the TRB external battery pack from night goggles and just wondering if a guy should look into buying one ? Anybody have first hand experience ? Pros/cons ?

I have. They do work but as soon as you bump the cord it loses connection and your scope will turn off. I would not recommend it. I can just see it, you have a coyote running right at you, and you shift the gun to a new position and the cord unplugs and your scope turns off.

I personally like the USB-C cables with a 90° connector. This seems to put less stress on the port, and poses less of a risk of snagging it on things.

@Kirsch - where do you find is the best spot to mount the TRB external battery pack ? It will be powering a super hogster on an AR with the mlok style handguard

Lots of different options. I have grown to like it on top of the rail. I tend to find where the gun needs balance whether it needs it more towards the front or back of the gun.

trb1.jpg

chassis2.jpg

You could always get a MLOK Picatinny Rail and mount it on the side.

trb4.jpg

trb5.jpg

trb6.jpg

Lots of different options.

I have my external battery pack out in front and same positioning as Korey's first picture above - but a lot closer in to my scope of course since mine is just a rail on a bolt gun. I then ran the cable under and then back under again to connect straight up and into the SH from the bolt side but when sighting in this past weekend, I quickly found that setup wasn't going to work so now it just kind of arcs over top from left to right connecting into the SH from the top down rather than from bottom up. That solved the bolt contact issue but now I'll have to see if it gets in the way of my buttons too much. First real outing with the SH will be later this week. I spent a fair amount of time getting use to all of the menus in addition to adjusting to my POI, and while I got it to walk in to "close to zero" very quickly, well... then I fat fingered myself - changing my correction settings when indeed I thought I was exiting the menus. Didn't catch it in time, and of course I hadn't written my correction settings down, so I lost a little time and unfortunately some very carefully made ammo, but oh well. I think we're there now and I'm anxious to get this baby up against some predators! With my setup, the cable that was included was just about perfect I'd say.

Last edited:
Anybody know much about the Bering optics App that is available to use in conjunction with super hogster. I’ve looked on the website but that isn’t real user friendly in my opinion. From other social media posts I know the app doesn’t work with apple products but I’ve heard guys buy a cheap android tablet to use. But I’m just curious what is the app for ? What can/can’t it do?

Originally Posted By: superDUECE22Anybody know much about the Bering optics App that is available to use in conjunction with super hogster. I’ve looked on the website but that isn’t real user friendly in my opinion. From other social media posts I know the app doesn’t work with apple products but I’ve heard guys buy a cheap android tablet to use. But I’m just curious what is the app for ? What can/can’t it do?

Korey posted this about using an I phone. It does work, I linked right up to a friends Super Hogster..

Originally Posted By: KirschFor those that like technology, you could give this a try on an iPhone or other device. You can connect virtually any device to the Super Hogster. Go to your wireless connection, and select the available Hogster wireless network as long as you have Wireless turned on in the Hogster Menu. Password is 12345678. From this device, you can open a browser and go to ftp://192.168.11.123 and you will see the folders and files on the scope.

For an iPhone specifically:

1) Install program FE File Explorer from App Store (free version should work)

2) Connect to the Hogster Wireless Network on the iphone

3) Launch FE File Explorer, click + and then click FTP, and you should see an option at the bottom that says Network Neighborhood. It shows 192.168.11.123. Select it and choose Guest (this is the Super Hogster).

4) You can see the folders and files on your Super Hogster. You can view the videos. You can click on the 3 periods on the right of a video, and save Copy To - Camera Roll.

5) Disconnect from the Hogster network, and the video or videos chosen will be in your camera roll.

6) Use your favorite app and share your video from your camera roll.

This is something I found with experimenting. This is not officially supported by Bering Optics, Night Goggles, etc. This is just one way this could be accomplished using the technology Bering has provided.

Originally Posted By: superDUECE22Anybody know much about the Bering optics App that is available to use in conjunction with super hogster. I’ve looked on the website but that isn’t real user friendly in my opinion. From other social media posts I know the app doesn’t work with apple products but I’ve heard guys buy a cheap android tablet to use. But I’m just curious what is the app for ? What can/can’t it do? The Super Hogster app has 4 main functions:

1) View, Download, Share, and delete videos and pictures.
2) See the scope view live on the app
3) Record videos or images with the app
4) Set the day and time on the scope.

Originally Posted By: sbrandenYep, it closes very securely and when it opens, it doesn't flip up - it flips to the left. It’s tight but you can rotate it to flip wherever you want.

Mine came via fedex yesterday. Had to take it out last night and look at some deer and the image quality is incredible. Don’t necessarily like the button and menu configuration but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. Also the objective lens protector on mine spins almost to easily and kind of wished the cap would snap in more securely when in the closed position. Also kinda of curious if anybody removes the rubber eye cup and just replace with a flip up scope cap ? Is this even possible or what would be the downfalls of doing this

Originally Posted By: superDUECE22Mine came via fedex yesterday. Had to take it out last night and look at some deer and the image quality is incredible. Glad you are liking the image quality of the SH.

Originally Posted By: superDUECE22Don’t necessarily like the button and menu configuration but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. I personally really like it. Just know that Menu button short push is for quick settings such as brightness, contrast, reticles, backgrounds and then top and bottom are for changing the values. Long press of Menu are for your set up configurations such as wifi, zero, gun profiles, etc.

Originally Posted By: superDUECE22Also the objective lens protector on mine spins almost to easily and kind of wished the cap would snap in more securely when in the closed position.This is the first time I have heard this unless Bering has gone to a slightly bigger size. You could run one strip of electrical tape around and put the cap back on. That should provide more traction.

Originally Posted By: superDUECE22Also kinda of curious if anybody removes the rubber eye cup and just replace with a flip up scope cap ? Is this even possible or what would be the downfalls of doing this With all the various size options, I would have to assume there is a scope cap such as a Butler Creek that would fit. The negative if there is one, is you might scope yourself without the extra protection of the flap. I use a PVS-14 eyecup and it is a bit loose but works. I have also modified another one by taking about 1/2 the length out because I don't shoot high recoil weapons. I like having an eye cup, but I don't like a real long tube/snorkel.

One other reason to go with a rubber eyecup is it blocks out all the natural light. This helps during daylight shooting. Also at night, it will seal the light so coyotes won't see it shining or leaking when tracking a coyote. Many think this splash of light spooks coyotes. I am one that doesn't think that is a big deal, but others do.

Thanks for info Korey.
Watching all your videos on YouTube I noticed you use background music instead of actual audio from the hunt and I understand that because the super hogster doesn’t record audio but have you ever thought of running a mini DVR with an external mic or does this practice just lower the video quality to much ? Or you just don’t want the hassle of more cords with the dvr attached to the gun to go along with an external battery ?

Could I use my phone or DVR to record audio, the answer is yes, and I could splice or edit the sound in later, like I do the gunshots. However, it is so nice not having to run extra cords and worry about batteries etc. As for audio, it is typically very windy in ND. The Pulsars I owned previously recorded audio. I felt the audio quality was very poor and I didn't care for the wind noise on the recordings anyway. There are plenty of other people/companies making videos where they want you to hear the sounds or call being used. My videos will have background music. Thank you for watching.

Back