The moon is starting to brighten up... Will you keep hunting?

johncraddock445

I noticed the moon was starting to light up the fields a little last night. Back before Valentine's Day with the last full moon I had zero success for that week. I was wondering if you guys would continue to hunt or will you lay off for a bit here soon?

I'll keep hunting but I will hide a little more like daytime hunting. My D740 works like a dream when the moon's bright!

This next week is going to require some adjustments to our regular setups, but we still go and just look for some moon shade.

Season ends next Wednesday here in Il so I will be hunting. I just get to and edge and set up so they can come in downwind of the call and I can still see them. Easier said then done but I will be out!

Last edited:
I don't bother hunting full moon nights until 3 am or so. It always seems to heat up after that. The best stands for me have always been daylight and the couple of hours that follow.

As far as hunting with a full moon right overhead, I guess it's fine if that's all you can do, like if contest directors fail to look at the calendar, lol.

I'm not concerned with the moon phase. I just make sure it's not out when I'm hunting. It'll be up all night for the next week or so. But when it's dark and the moon is on the other side of the planet somewhere I'm realizing I have better luck.

I've started watching the calendar and when the moon set last Thursday, I immediately got some coyote action. Nothing while the field was moonlit before that except a few deer.
Try putting your location in here and it has a nice moon schedule.
https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/usa/columbia?month=3

Last edited:
Lastnight was our second night out on this bright moon and friday night we saw nothing nor heard anything til about 11:30. Had one one come through at approx 120yds with no plans of stopping. Lastnight we got very few to howl and never actually saw any yotes.

Saw three different yotes right at daylight this morning on my way to work. Good sign What CZ527 said is true with them running early a.m. Hours on the bright moon.

I watched the moon phase. I went out two nights ago about when the moon set happened about 3 am. Called in a couple on the first stand. Saw them coming in from from out there from 600 yards. Remained calm, was very patient. Held steady, wait for it. Slowly put the squeeze on the trigger "CLICK" Did everything right except have a bullet in the chamber. I laughed at myself for the next few hours.

But back to the post subject, the full moon makes it tough. That doesn't mean you won't have success but your odds go down significantly. Lots of time I keep going out anyway because I'm sometimes like dumb and dumber. Remembering all that
One in a million talk

What do you guys think it is that makes hunting with a full moon so unproductive?
Do you guys think they just don't move or is it the fact they are able to see you so well?

Originally Posted By: johncraddock445What do you guys think it is that makes hunting with a full moon so unproductive?
Do you guys think they just don't move or is it the fact they are able to see you so well?
I know they have to move and eat/hunt sometime. Here in SC that's mostly at night.

I just think they are more apprehensive and cautious when the moon is out since they can see better and know they aren't as well hidden.

When it's really dark, it gives me better camouflage and I think they are more likely to throw caution to the wind and go investigate curious sounds.

Who says it can't get done with a full moon? This was a 51 pound female. I showed her about the first 10 minutes out of the truck. Truth be told I made 6 more sets after this one and blank. [img:right]http://[/img]

We called in 5 on 1 stand Friday and I killed a small male. We saw one more that never would commit on the next stand. Saturday night we did four stands and saw one. Imo this time of year is tough.

Last edited:
Out last night till 1 am and even though I had seen 3, none of them came into the call. All I could do is watch them trot around at approximately 400 yards out and keep going.
Very bright, about like day break & it was tough.

Just trying to learn... but... what is it about this time of year that makes it tough? Is it normally slower after breeding season until they drop their pup's as a rule?

Back