The most inaccurate POS you have ever owned.

Kimber Montana 7-08, 4-5" groups all day long baby!! No matter what ammo I fed it, she never was inconsistent, it was always a POS!! Traded that puppy off for, I can't even remember.. I should have contacted kimber and had them make it right, I'd like to have another Montana now in a small varmint caliber now like in a 17 rem..

Worst I ever had was a Marlin 189? in .44 Mag. it was shooting good when it shot 4 in. groups at 25 yards from the bench. No scope, peep sight. It went bye bye.
It's brother a Marlin 189? in .357 Mag was under an inch at 100yds. I had a peep sight on this one. I had to let it go because I needed some grocery money.

Originally Posted By: ICU22-250Kimber Montana 7-08, 4-5" groups all day long baby!! No matter what ammo I fed it, she never was inconsistent, it was always a POS!! Traded that puppy off for, I can't even remember.. I should have contacted kimber and had them make it right, I'd like to have another Montana now in a small varmint caliber now like in a 17 rem..

I'm glad mine didn't go that way. I just bought one of the last ones left. First group at 100 was 7/8" with 139 interlock American whitetail ammo. It was on sale.

Second handload shot a little cluster, firing shots 5 minutes apart. It will rapid fire 3 about 3/4".

I feel fortunate. All done with that deer load, moving on to a 150 ABLR workup.

Last edited:
Mine would've been....

Back in 1986, I bought a very used Remington 7600 (pump) in 30-06, from a pawn shop.
I had intended to use it for deer.
It only had the factory "open" sights on it...no scope.
I couldn't get that rifle properly sighted in enough to hit an elephant, let alone a deer.
And I was too cheap at the time, to put a scope on it.
So, I traded it for a used Ruger 77 in .270, and got my deer that year with the Ruger.

Since then, the only Remingtons that I have owned have been shotguns.

I have had a few and probably forgot a few. A new Weatherby Mark V expensive junk went through a lot of ammo with no satisfaction.
Lucky for me the gunshop actually asked by mail to buy it back unsolicited. Woo Hoo.
A new Kimber Longmaster pure disapointment, Gone
A new Remington 700 .30-06 was like worn out brand new.
New rem 7600 where the bolt stuck in back of reciever on sighting in. Shop took it back.
And a new Rem shotgun with a polychke wad peeler.
A new Ithaca shotgun with screw in choke that was offset of bore so far it was unsafe to shoot.

Remington 700 VSSF .204

Not the absolute worst shooting gun I ever owned but shot worse than expected by far for any gun I've ever owned. I parted it out and used the cash to help fund a custom of the same caliber.

a used Rem 700 LVSF in 17 Rem. I think I was the 3rd or 4th owner. A real lemon, 3-4" @ 100y with the best loads. Sold it to a guy who rebarreled to 223 Ackley

Kimber 84L classic select in 280ai. Waited 14 months on it. Took it out and patterned it a couple of times. Shot 3 inch groups with fire forming loads. Every now and then I get it out and try a new load. Most expensive junker that I have ever owned. Maybe one day I will find the load that it likes. Not very hopeful. Only rifle that I couldnt make shoot. That includes the ruger no1.

I got a Remington 700 in 204 that I couldn't get to shoot at all. I tried all different loads, put in a new trigger, even put a Manners stock on it. Still wouldn't trust it on a groundhog at 100 yards. I sent it out to Kevin Weaver he put on a new 204 barrel, PTG bolt and bedded the stock. Now it is one of the most accurate guns I own. I hate selling a gun I know doesn't shoot. I don't want it coming back on me.

Mine was a Winchester 100 in .308. Everything looked good but it wouldn't shoot. I really liked it but it had to go. The guy I sold it to didn't care about "accuracy".

When I had a C&R license about 6 years ago, thru the internet, bought a decently sporterized Arisaka type 38 action rifle that was suppose to be a .257 Roberts from a Pawnshop in Prescott, Arizona. I'd phoned the Pawnshop, inquiring whose barrel was on it. Pawnshop called owner of rifle they were selling it for, who was a very elderly man that had the rifle made for his wife to hunt with a very long time ago by a gunsmith in Prescott back then. So answer was it had an A&M barrel on it. A&M ?, research showed their was a gunsmith shop in Prescott back in the late 70s owned by a Atkinson and Marquette. They had quite a reputation for quality custom work back then and one of them made their own barrels. The barrel guy would later go to work for a couple of major rifle manufacturers running the barrel making, after he'd had a falling out the the other gunsmith.

Well, the rifle turned out to have the original 6.5 cal military barrel and it'd been rechambered to .257R, so it was a 6.5x257R. No problem for me to reload as I already reloaded for both the 6.5x55 Swede and 257 Roberts.....between my die sets, I could reload 6.5x257R ammo. Condition of the Arisaka's bore was nothing to brag about, lands looked decent, but rifling had its typical look of minor frosting/pitting, you'd find in a military barrel.

LOL, at best, the rifle would shoot a 3 1/2 - 4" 100yd group....absolutely never had a cloverleaf, it threw bullets all over the target. After a 100 or so rounds downrange, I happen to read an article about some new bore coating product with teflon in it. Short while later, came home from an auto parts store with a crankcase STP like product that had teflon in it. I'd gone to the store to buy some wiper blades and happen to see the STP like product with teflon and remembered the article I'd read. Hmmmmm, what the heck, bought a bottle of it.

Loaded up some 6.5x257R ammo and went to range. I'd swab a glob of the product in the muzzle of bore, run a patch down the bore to evenly spread it and remove any excess. Then I'd fire a round and swab some more of it down the bore between each shot. By the fourth or so round, I noticed my groups tightening on the target. Darn if I didn't shoot a clover leaf, something I'd not been able to even get close to doing before. Forget, how many swabs of the teplon product I did, at least eight, but ended up shooting slightly less than a one inch group with the rifle before I ran out of the 20 rounds I'd reloaded.

Went home and proceeded to clean the Arisaka's bore. Discovered my patches sure as heck went down the bore a lot smoother and the bore had a white-ish appearance....guess the teplon was burned into the bore.

P.S., doing what I did with the teflon STP stuff in my Arisaka's bore is NOT something I'd recommend to anyone. But, the type 38 arisaka action has quite a reputation for strength and I'd used some pretty mild powder charges in my reloads for my experiment.

Then there is the early 1950's era, SAKO rifle I found in a Cabela's used rifle rack that had been labeled as being a custom mauser. It was the first rifle SAKO made to sell in the U.S. SAKO used FN commercial mauser actions to build them. SAKO only made them for a few years before making their own action. However, FN asked SAKO to continue making the FN action rifles for Browning to sell under their label.

Paid $360 plus TAX for my SAKO. Outward appearance of rifle showed it'd been well used, like it'd been someones truck gun. However, bore of rifle, bolt face and etc., was fantastic. Had appearance of seldom being fired. When I got home, I did some internet research to make sure I did have what I suspected was an early SAKO. Found a few on them listed for sale, lowest price of them was around $900, highest was $1400. Their pics confirmed I had a SAKO. Hot dang! I took care of the external problems on metal and stock and then spent a few sessions at range with my 30-06 SAKO. Sadly, about 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" group was best it would shoot. Now the rifle is one of my safe queens that I occasionally take to range. Generally someone there will stop at my shooting bench to find out what the heck rifle I'm shooting and I have the pleasure to recount my story about finding it.

Browning BAR .270 3-4" best @100
80's Weatherby Vanguard .270 with a McMillan stock 5" was the best@100
Rem ADL .204 Ruger 3" best @100
Mini 14 ??????
Savage Striker .243 ???????!
Last 2 were true POS!

My only "inaccurate" rifle is a 1980's Winchester 30-30 saddle rifle. Shoots minute of grapefruit all day long. Nothing wrong with it per se, that is just it's nature from what I understand.

Ruger #1 22-250 heavy barrel 2 shots same hole next 2 shots same hole 6'' away beautiful wood and rifle great feel kept on trying different loads because I really liked that POS . In the end left it hanging in the gun shop and left with a heavy barrel 700 Rem. Lucky me.

I bought what was a ww2 German officers pistol,they gentleman I bought it from said he took it off of the German could not hit the the broad side of a barn.Had a S&W Performance Center 627 this gun caused me to not buy S&W products for 15 years.I have had 2 Sig p220's that I could not get to shoot under 6" and one p226 "navy seal edition" that was just as bad.

Mine would be a Wby Mkv 7mm Wby Mag I bought used back in 1987. Beautiful piece of wood on it but for every bit of its beauty, it shot equally bad. Two-three inch groups @ 100 were the good days. It was the only rifle I owned so it was my do everything rifle. I had it until Weatherby first came out with the Accumarks and I sold it and bought the very first Accumark 300 Wby Mag that hit town.

The gun Gods must have felt sorry for me because that 300wby Accumark was hands down the best shooting factory rifle I've ever owned. It would shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA with just about any 180's I feed it. I've had other Accumarks since but they didn't shoot nearly as well as that one.

I got into having semi or full customs built a few years ago and sold it to a guy in Tx. It's the only gun I've ever regretted selling, probably should have hung on to that one.

Originally Posted By: Ron77Mine was a Winchester 100 in .308. Everything looked good but it wouldn't shoot. I really liked it but it had to go. The guy I sold it to didn't care about "accuracy".

Mine also is a Model 100 in .308 my Dad gave me. I really like it, but I have shotguns that shoot better groups. I am waiting for him to "forget" about it so it can go away.......

Chuck

Last edited:
Mossberg 695 rifled slug gun 12 ga porting would strip the sabot on the way out. Had a s%$# fit and took a hack saw to it and recrowned the barrel. It shot better but I ended up buying a Ultra slugger problem solved
J

Back