The perfect bullet

The only way the 60gr VMAX could be better is if it was boat tailed. I have not had a coyote run more than 10ft after being shot with one. They also work on Mule deer huh Mussman.223?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.....Here is 2 examples of 60gr VMAXS at work. These were shot at 75 and 45 yards. Both in the shoulder. Both were shot in the exact place you see them laying. They did no more than fall down after being shot. One was with my Lija Recce and the other with Mussmans WOA SPR. The best of the AR world.
IMG_1858.jpg

IMG_1846-1.jpg

Last edited:
Byron,

I must agree with your assessment that the 60gr V-Max is the best coyote bullet for a 223. It penetrates quite well and doesn't have splash problems. Also seems to anchor them right away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The bulk of my coyotes have been shot with "deer bullets" out of 243's and 308's and they have performed great for me. I've never had a splash and it's extremely rare that they make it over about 10 feet before expiring. Our fur here is worthless but these bullets are also "fur friendly" leaving small exit holes.

I also agree that "light for caliber" bullets are a poor choice for coyotes for just about any cartridge. Use 'em only if you wanna go to "splash city".

I've also had the same experience with 17's. There is a guy near here called "The Coyote Man" and he charges to rid hunting leases of coyotes.

I finally got to hunt with him and his "Mighty 17" a couple of days. Five coyotes killed.... Two were splash hits and both coyotes were found after using dogs to track them down and a shot from my 308 to finish them.

He swore up and down that he'd never had that problem before. Maybe so.... I might just be bad medicine for 17's.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I'm probably the only hunter you, or anyone else here, will ever meet that swears by the 308 150gr Nosler Partition (also my favorite deer bullet) for coyotes. It kills them like a lightening strike and will fully penetrate from ANY angle easily and leaves slightly larger than caliber exit holes with scrambled innards if you care to autopsy the nasty things. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

$bob$

I'M SOLD!!! What velocities are you running the 60g Vmax's at? They are all sold out of the Hornady load books in town, I am assuming because of Christmas. Dose anyone have one to tell me if there is a load recommendation with Benchmark? From minimum to max charges with velocities?

Thanks, 234me.

Byron and other 60 grain Vmax fans: Do they ricochet? I live in a faily populated area and when a miss does occur I need to be sure that the cow in the next township, or pasture, doesn't turn up bloated in the back 40.

byron come on down so i can see my first runner. so far this year 81 coyotes 7 bobcats 1 lion 17 remington 25 grn pill no splashes no runners all dead one shot except the lion he took 2. longest shot 350 yds.

50 TNT as fast as my 223 will shoot it. I have shot a lot of different types but always come back to this bullet. It will not hold up in the 250 but its a great bullet for the 223.

Quote:
What is the max distance you would shoot a yote with the 60gr vmax out of a 223?

I could ask for barrel length but assuming that it is 16" or greater the bullet is capable up to 400-500 yard shots. I wouldnt take it past 600. If you cant put 95% of your cold bore shots in a clay pigeon at those ranges then dont shoot at a coyote at those ranges. A good bullet will never make up for poor shot placement or a poor shooter. To make sure I have answered your question I will end with this. The 60gr VMAX will take a coyote as far as a .223 can take a coyote,IMO. I havnt got to test it past 100 yet due to my partners incredible calling skill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good luck.

Quote:
Byron and other 60 grain Vmax fans: Do they ricochet?

Nope, they are designed to fragment on impact.

The frangibles (plastic tip bullets) have a very definite "performance envelope", defined by their retained energy at POI/SD versus the thickness/density of the target. They are designed to fragment violently when they impact within their performance envelope. That performance envelope will always be narrower for light-for-caliber (low SD) bullets.

If they have too much energy at impact, they can fragment too soon causing "splashes" (even without hitting bone). That can happen with light-for-caliber bullets out of a fast twist barrel at high velocities, in other words, short ranges. A 40gr Nosler BT at 4500fps out of a 1:8 250 is great fun on a p-dog, but will cause a horrible splash wound on a coyote at 50YDs.

If they don't have enough retained energy at impact (long ranges), they won't fragment "explosively" (not an actual explosion) as designed, and may fragment into 2 or 3 pieces that will have an unpredictable wound channel track, or not fragment at all. I've figured out (I think) that a 50gr V-max is on the edge of it's performance envelope at about 200YDs out of a .223. A 200YD frontal shot on a coyote may or may not drop him right there, it's going to depend on the unpredictable wound channels produced by the 2 or 3 oddly shaped fragments produced.

The 60gr V-max should stay effective out to effective .223 ranges, though I haven't played with them yet (got my 243WSSM), and should also be heavy enough that short ranges should still be effective too.

The frangible bullets work far better than anything else as long as they are within their performance envelope.

If you have doubts about the effectiveness of a particular frangible bullet due to widely varying ranges, body sizes, etc., a traditional HP or SP bullet has an extremely broad performance envelope, and though not nearly as effective as a frangible at it's best, it will work pretty well at just about any ranges/velocities it's possible to shoot it at.

How does this bullet work in the 22-250? Cant say that I have had any bad bullet choices so far. Although I'm always willing to try something new. I will admit to having a few splash wounds when I used the 40BK. Seems to me most 55gr SPs work pretty good.

I know every barrel likes its own powder. What powder/grain combinations, and at what velocities has everyone had their best luck with on the potent little 60g Vmax out of their 223s?

Quote:

I vividly remember the only coyote I witnessed you shoot with your 17. Can you refresh the members memory as to what happend on that day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif? If you will asked Rod he ca tell you that I predicted the outcome of that shot several hours before it happend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I sat a few stands with another huge advocats of the 17 that same year. We called in one coyote that day and the fur friendly little 17 splashed on his little shoulder. The coyote spun twice and hauled butt. He didn't go far however because he rapidly bled out of the massive splash wound on his near side shoulder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Fur friendly? Oh yeah I remember he hit shoulder bone. 25 grains of lead dust doen't penatrate very well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I saw a video once where someone was shooting an evil looking black rifle that was in a .223 caliber. A coyote "came to the call" and was shot. It didn't die. So, it was shot again and it didn't die. So, it was shot again and again and... In fact, if I remember right without going back and watching that video again I think that coyote was shot seven times before he stayed down.

Just think, that coyote scene actually made it into the video. I wonder how many runners got edited out?

No, my friends, these sorts of things can happen with any caliber. I've seen it in real life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I shoot in many diferernt calibers. I tend to carry a 204, a 17hmr, and a 223. The 223 is a rock river 16" varmint. My daily rounds on the farm offer me a great chance to incounter yotes. I've taken them with all guns at all ranges. By far the rule of thumb is the longer the shot the the more I grab the 223. Now I find myself using the 17 for snakes and rabbits. I have not found the perfect bullet yet... but I have not tried the 60 gr. vmax. Maybe Santa will bring a case or two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Good info. Does anyone know how a 60 grain pill will act out of a 1 in 12 twist barrel ?? I have yet to try anything heavier than 50gr. Outa my Remington.Thanks

Quote:
I saw a video once where someone was shooting an evil looking black rifle that was in a .223 caliber. A coyote "came to the call" and was shot. It didn't die. So, it was shot again and it didn't die. So, it was shot again and again and... In fact, if I remember right without going back and watching that video again I think that coyote was shot seven times before he stayed down.

I saw that as well. And, if I remember right, it was spinning in a small circle the whole time. Not exaclty a "runner". I shot one this past January that did the same thing when shot with a 130 grain 270 right behind the shoulder at about 60 yards and left a nasty whole. He didn't go anywhere, and if I had a semi with full mag, I might have shot him a few more times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A .270 loaded with 90grain Sierra Varminters doesn't produce too many runner either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. It was what I used when I first started coyote hunting. I now have a .223 and am shooting 50gr V-Max's. But after reading this post I think I will work up a load of 60grainers on my next batch. Great post Byron.

I agree with you Yellowhammer. But, a spinner isn't a runner because they don't straighten out. A runner is a spinner that didn't spin.

That was my point exactly, no matter what the caliber, those things will happen from time to time. Thanks for helping make my point.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back