Thinking of getting into the 6.5 Grendel game...

I love mine. Its not that flattest shooter I own but its very accurate and holds 1000 ft/lbs out to 400 yards. To top it all off another round is at your finger tips if the first wasn't sufficient. I can think of better rounds for hunting coyotes, but for medium game its the cats meow...

I love mine, I got mine from Scott at SD. Mine has a side charger. If you hit a coyote it doesnt run, you have a variety of bullets for different game or nongame. The only draw back to it is Im not good at reloading yet and I jacked up some rounds. The AR itself is a shooter.

Originally Posted By: pitman6302I love mine, I got mine from Scott at SD. Mine has a side charger. If you hit a coyote it doesnt run, you have a variety of bullets for different game or nongame. The only draw back to it is Im not good at reloading yet and I jacked up some rounds. The AR itself is a shooter.

Actually not true! I took ones leg off this weekend at 80 yards and he ran a ways. But you're right they do hit hard

If you want to carry around a heavy cumbersome rifle length AR the 6.5's OK. If you want to hunt with a handy carbine length AR, go 6.8 SPCII.

Originally Posted By: orrbull48Originally Posted By: pitman6302I love mine, I got mine from Scott at SD. Mine has a side charger. If you hit a coyote it doesnt run, you have a variety of bullets for different game or nongame. The only draw back to it is Im not good at reloading yet and I jacked up some rounds. The AR itself is a shooter.

Actually not true! I took ones leg off this weekend at 80 yards and he ran a ways. But you're right they do hit hard

I do not think he meant hit him in the foot. It is not a canon.

I got a 22" barrel grendel with the side charger built by Scott at SD and mine isnt heavy. Weighs less than 8 lbs scoped out and is a shooter. I love it. I have take two yotes with it so far and both never took a step. I cant wait to deer hunt with it next year. I just got it back together after dura coating it OD green and black. Quit thinking about it and get in the 6.5 grendel game. You wont look back.

Last edited:
I'm gonna build a Grendel in a short barreled 14.5" so I can see if I can duplicate Hornady's 2011 load data...
confused.gif

Bob, I had Scott at Specialized Dynamics build me one and it is definitely a shooter. This one and my 30 Rem. AR( I know you are a fan)are the 2 best shooting AR's that I own. I know you wouldn't be disappointed.

Originally Posted By: UtahShooterOriginally Posted By: orrbull48Originally Posted By: pitman6302I love mine, I got mine from Scott at SD. Mine has a side charger. If you hit a coyote it doesnt run, you have a variety of bullets for different game or nongame. The only draw back to it is Im not good at reloading yet and I jacked up some rounds. The AR itself is a shooter. Actually not true! I took ones leg off this weekend at 80 yards and he ran a ways. But you're right they do hit hard I do not think he meant hit him in the foot. It is not a canon.

LOL, Yea orrbull I didnt mean to take off his leg. I meant if you made a good shot, it wouldnt go anywhere.LOL

No kidding. I bought the manual, brought it home, turned to that page and &^%, a 14.5 inch barrel. I'm waiting for the next edition to see the pistol length .338 Lapua loads.
I actually called Hdy and asked what the deal was. I couldn't make sense of the answer.

They told me, that AA supplied them with that barrel for their load testing...

I was just like you! Why would you publish loads tested from a barrel that takes a Federal Tax stamp to own?!?

You have to wonder what the heck AA was thinking. You have a cartridge you're touting in your sales pitches as the virtual equal of a .308 at 1000 yards and you give an ammo maker/reloading operation a 14" barrel for load development.

Whoever came up with that could probably be taken off the respirator.

Last edited:
I "think" they were trying to make it look its more comparable to the 6.8 SPC. But that just my opinion. There is an internet fueled stigma out there that if your Grendel doesn't have a 24" barrel you might as well be shooting a 6.8 SPC. But thats just speculation.

I think the 6.8 and 6.5 Grendel is pretty much a wash performance wise from equal tubes. I kept my 6.8 and sold the 6.5 and ordering a 243 LBC.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: T3BEARI think the 6.8 and 6.5 Grendel is pretty much a wash performance wise from equal tubes. I kept my 6.8 and sold the 6.5 and ordering a 243 LBC.
thumbup1.gif

They are about equal until about 300 yards. The 6.5 bullets have a higher BC which is really noticeable at longer ranges

Back