This guy is probably glad he had an AR

Yes OT, I agree with what you were saying.
If I were with my son (as the story goes), if a good get away was possible, then by all means.
At the point this fella turned the truck sideways and got out to return fire (lol)...IDK..at that point I would have been fully commited.

From some of the comments following my post, I'm pretty sure that many of you missed the following comment...
Quote:As stated by others, were I in the receiving end of such a situation as initially described, my hesitation level would be non-existent...
I would have no hesitation in dropping an aggressor in the initial situation...It's just that having been in the position on previous times to do so, when there were so little reason not to do so, each needs to be aware of the potential outcomes that affect not just the individual, but the family as well..

I have been around this site long enough to know where you stand OT.
I am going to throw out a couple/few scenarios..some may not have considered.
1)A shoot out ensues, bad guys dead,but your son as well (bad)
2)Bad guys dead but so am I (bad)
3) Only I die (real bad)
4)and now for the happy ending...bad guys dead and my son and I are on our way home with a couple suitcase full of $100.00 bills.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: HookedI have been around this site long enough to know where you stand OT.
3) Only I die (real bad)
4)and now for the happy ending...bad guys dead and my son and I are on our way home with a couple suitcase full of $100.00 bills.
lol.gif

Never seen the movie "No Country for Old Men?"
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: HookedI have been around this site long enough to know where you stand OT.
3) Only I die (real bad)
lol.gif

Never seen the movie "No Country for Old Men?"
smile.gif

Hey, that guy would have gotten off free and clear if he hadn't grown a conscience and returned to the seine of the crime.

WOW! I can't say i know how i would react if someone was shooting at me and my son. I would like to think i would have the presence of mind to return fire and protect myself. But i've also never been shot at, so who knows, maybe i'd poop myself and hide!
smile.gif
I can only image what that must feel like knowing you are in someone's cross hairs. My hat goes off to all those who serve and protect who face that reality every day.

It is a little strange he stopped and parked broadside to return fire if he was in fact getting away. Seems like a scene right out of a movie! This is why i'll teach my son how to shoot my AR out of my truck window from his car seat.
smile.gif
He's only 2.5, but never too young to start.

I question if this this story is real. I read the "Arizona Red Star" (AKA arizona daily star)every morning. I watch the Tucson local news. There hasn't been any coverage of this incident. I believe that there would be headlines of a shootout if it were real.
How did the "cartel" know where to find "Willie?
Did he just happen to have a magazine that holds more than five rounds while out coyote hunting?
Did any other law enforcement agency show up after calling 911 or only Border Patrol? It dont happen.

no one can ever say exactly what they would do in that situation, i know what i would hope to do but it would all come down to instincts and any previous training one would have. me...i have no military experience but do consider myself trained better than the normal person. me and a buddy have a shooting range set up all tactical like...any time im target shooting or running the course its on human shape targets. two to the chest one to the head. if its a station with multiple targets, its one shot to the chest on first and second target, two into third then follow up shots back to the second and first. dont know if that is good or bad but its better than not practicing... hopefully none of us will ever be in that situation but if anyone is hopefully the good guy prevails.

Originally Posted By: Harvey7I question if this this story is real. I read the "Arizona Red Star" (AKA arizona daily star)every morning. I watch the Tucson local news. There hasn't been any coverage of this incident. I believe that there would be headlines of a shootout if it were real.
How did the "cartel" know where to find "Willie?
Did he just happen to have a magazine that holds more than five rounds while out coyote hunting?
Did any other law enforcement agency show up after calling 911 or only Border Patrol? It dont happen.

you can only hunt big game with a 5 rnd clip. you can hunt coyote with a 30 rnd . And he didn't call the newspaper he was told not to tell anyone.

I put in for a whitetail tag in the area this happened and was told by the local fish and game agent that I shouldn't hunt in the area with a small party. There were to many illegals and I should have at least 5 well armed hunters to consider hunting the area. He also said if I intended to camp in the area I would more than likely be robbed when we were out hunting.
SAD that americans can't hunt in the state they live in.
Tim

Not to hijack this thread, but this is towards seven7s. You might want to check the AZ G&F Regs before you take your 30rnd mag next time you coyote hunt. Page 117, AZ G&F Rules and Commisions R12-4-303 #4 states no centerfire semi-automatic with a mag capacity of no more than 5rnds unless a high cap mag has been altered to hold no more than 5rnds. In the beginning paragraph states "any wildlife." Not trying to ruffle any feathers, just trying to prevent fellow PM's from getting in trouble.

Wonder what would happen if you had the 5 rounds in the gun and a loaded 30 round in your back pocket?

Also how would this all translate into say a handgun that you were carrying for protection, 5 rounds only in the field? Getting a little out there I know...

Also from my understanding (at least in Minnesota) it is allowed to open carry, your firearm doesnt need to be hidden. I havent heard of any laws limiting what you can carry with you for protection. CORRECT ME IF ANY OF THIS IS WRONG! So if I was excersizing my ability to open carry an AR-15 w/ full 30 round magazine through the woods(or desert) on a hike for protection how are these lines going to be drawn?

Last edited:
You can carry a rifle over your shoulder if you want. They'll get you though, even if your carrying a pistol open or cc if someone sees it and it freaks them out. They'll ticket you for inticing a riot I think is the terminology. You can also carry as many round as you want loaded as long as you don't get stopped by game and fish while hunting or going or coming from a stand with a high Capp in your weapon. I'm sure if you were walking out and had one in though they wouldn't give you crap if you told them why and weren't acting shady about it

NCWhitetail,
The reason the Border Patrol showed up first is, in any remote part of New Mexico and/or Arizona Border Patrol is often the closest law enforcement agency around. Even if the state and local authorities were called first they will often call ahead and see if there is any Border Patrol in the area for a faster response.

The first guy that drew the pistol would have been double tapped and the remaining rounds would have been into the windshield aiming for the second guy.

The American government wishes to call this a WAR ON DRUGS and still does to this date regardless of the administration. Some day they will actually treat it as such...I just hope it is not too late...God Bless all gun owners...aim true, and when in doubt empty your magazine...

This is the reason the U.S.-Mexico border should be patrolled by Apache helicopters. ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that tried to cross the border from Mexico should be considered fair game and took out accordingly.

Back