Tikka T-3 30-06 or .270?

You are guilty. Tikka's are not only made in Finland, they are manufactured in the Sako plant. The next time you see the gun shop salesman point out to him the "Made in Finland" stamped on the barrel. His attention to detail is lacking.

Just checked, my T3 stainless/laminate is indeed made in Finland, though I have had it for a couple years. It is indeed a quality made rifle that is more than accurate enough. I would have to disagree about the savage quality, however. True, the early ones and their "pricepoint" rifles, such as the edge/axis, and stevens series are not pretty, and even a touch clunky, the higher-end models such as the classic series, the specialty series are of as good a quality as a tikka, and as accurate or more so.
To the caliber question, I agree that if elk and black bear are on the menu, I would go with the .30-06 (even though plenty of both those critters have been taken with the good 'ol .270).

I know Savage builds an adequate piece, and accuracy is fantastic. They still feel like a pos to me, and that bolt shroud is as ugly as a mosin nagant! Funtional? sure. Eye appealing? not even a little.

I own a tikka 270 and it is my favorite and most accurate rifle. Either caliber will work for you but I would go with the tikka for sure. Awesome quality

Originally Posted By: j.hennesPerhaps I am guilty of passing along bad information. I love Sako's and was seriously looking at the Tikka until a gun shop salesman 'informed' me of the Beretta subject. I do see that the Beretta Tikka T3 badged rifle may be (not definitive) made in Italy in a Beretta shop. If indeed I am wrong and T3s are still built in Finland, then by all means I apologize and would heartily reccomend the gun. Northern European steels are the pretty much the gold standard and their manufacturing is also. My distaste for Beretta is primarily due to the lack of quality in their handguns.

Aside from the fact that they are indeed still built in Finland. Beretta makes some great pistols, rifles and shotguns in Italy. What you are probably seeing is American made Beretta products, which I happen to agree with you on...they are subpar.
I went to the Beretta factory in Italy five years ago and I can tell you this, if it rolls off the production line in Gardone Val Trompia it is gorgeous and well made. I am not exactly a fan boy of Beretta's but no kidding they have a wonderful facility in Italy and their quality control is amazing. Sadly though you move something like that to the USA and it goes to hades in a handbasket.

Back