Truck lights for night calling?

Strow1

Does anyone use green or red "rock lights" or LED pods angles down on the bumper for driving lights when night calling? Something in red or green that gives enough illumination to drive 5-15mph with and not light up the country side? Any suggestions or ideas would be great.

Did a little night hunting a few years ago and cut some dark red lenses which I put over my fog lights when night hunting.

Does anyone use green or red "rock lights" or LED pods angles down on the bumper for driving lights when night calling? Something in red or green that gives enough illumination to drive 5-15mph with and not light up the country side? Any suggestions or ideas would be great.
PVS 14 and IR lights inside your grill......

I run a 20 " light bar on front bumper, which has green snap on covers on it. Gives enough light to drive no problem but tones down brightness and intensity of overall light beings thrown out. I'll turn them on half mile to mile out from my stop point especially if going over higher ground, hilltops. I'll kill headlights also so no rear markers side markers also. I'm sure it helps I have no doubt. By how much? Who knows but it ups my confidence and always helps.
Kino's use of i.r. lights and n.v. to drive with I'm sure would be a much better and probably appairenty noticable in improved success rates im sure

I have been using this green LED light for several years on different vehicles for hunting........truck , golf cart, ATV.

It is plenty bright and I usually use black electrical tape to partially tape over the lens to get the beam shape and amount of light I need for whatever vehicle it is mounted on.

IMG_1121.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you all for the input!

Gman757, I will give this green LED's a look. That is kind of what I was looking for.

K9TXS, that is an excellent point! I sure wish they would make a hybrid Tacoma that didn't sound like a train backing up.

Just be sure to mount it up front, down low and pointed downward. Personally I'd opt for something red but green is still way better than white lights.

Has anybody run across a ( magnetic ) smaller IR diode array ( 850 or 940 ) that has coil pigtail cord that plugs into the 12volt Cig.lighter/Accessory auto plug ?

I shuffle between the 3500 4x and small Mazda wagon at night hunt . would be nice to have a little IR unit, that I can just open the window and easy reach out and magnetically pop it on the roof of either vehicle for night driving with pvs14's .

Thank you all for the input!

Gman757, I will give this green LED's a look. That is kind of what I was looking for.

K9TXS, that is an excellent point! I sure wish they would make a hybrid Tacoma that didn't sound like a train backing up.

Mount the light and then take some electrical tape and trim the beam down to whatever works for your vehicle.

This is what I ended up with on an ATV I had. I actually put another layer of green on this one with light bar film.

IMG_8638.jpg

Has anybody run across a ( magnetic ) smaller IR diode array ( 850 or 940 ) that has coil pigtail cord that plugs into the 12volt Cig.lighter/Accessory auto plug ?

I shuffle between the 3500 4x and small Mazda wagon at night hunt . would be nice to have a little IR unit, that I can just open the window and easy reach out and magnetically pop it on the roof of either vehicle for night driving with pvs14's .

I wonder what the nm frequency of those diodes are ? they describe it with having a dim 'purple glow' to naked eye . But the magnetic setup and small size is pretty much what I looking for.
Their website is pretty plainjane primitive. they dont list a call#, only do a reply email setup for questions, but I will give it a shot.

I wonder what the nm frequency of those diodes are ? they describe it with having a dim 'purple glow' to naked eye . But the magnetic setup and small size is pretty much what I looking for.
Their website is pretty plainjane primitive. they dont list a call#, only do a reply email setup for questions, but I will give it a shot.

My understanding is 850 is barely visable and 950 isn't so I'm guessing 850???

JUST NOTICED:
**This Infrared LED light is assembled by Field Patrol Agent for use on STATIONARY vehicles such as flir trucks. We DO NOT intend for this product to be used on a moving vehicle.**

Gel sheeting, colored strips are used for coloring lighting in music and movie industry, more like a translucent tinted than solid color. Problem most of it doesn't have adhesive and is affixed scottlch tape what I can tell. Then some nice cut to size for a given sized light bar w/ adhesive on it but not cost effective, it's like $15 for 20" light bar, I kept searching Amazon and did finally find some real nice adhesive tinted film in variety of colors. It was around 12" x 24 to 30" long and around 8 bucks roll. I got one green and one amber , about perfect nice dark amber about what you want to really dim down your lights. A lot darker than the common light yellow lights labeled as amber.. real easy to use and apply to any flat light and plenty strong glue that it will stay put. Prolly need to razor blade it off when ages. I didn't burn. Wrinkle or anything from the heat so far that I can tell having it on for couple hrs . The plastic ones I had where starting to have the clip part that snaps over edges of light break off, so I went to this before I lost them.

I have trouble sharing an Amazon link but can get item # and post if anyone needs it. I had to dink around for a while before I found this.

Back