TT - Turning horn calls

Ok...found some batteries.

Next, I drill out the exhaust with my dremel. Like Tony Jones was saying about horn, the same goes with Delrin. Once a drill bit meets the other side, the drill bit grabs and twists the delrin. I use a pair of plyers to hold it while working on it, as I've cut my hand and/or drill into my hand on way too many ocassions.
IMG_2367.jpg

I then take the toneboard over to the drill press and taper the exhaust with a step bit. This allows the call to breath and produce the volume that is expected from one of my calls. There's a fine line between volume, yet still have the right amount of backpressure on a toneboard's exhaust. That's where the fine tuning comes in. Every toneboard performs different in a different call body. Those who use commercial or aftermarket toneboards will figure that out quick.
IMG_2368.jpg

Now this baby can breath and handle any amount of air a caller wants to put through the call.
IMG_2370.jpg

I always have pieces of mylar reeds laying around for the purpose of testing toneboards being built. I just lay one across the toneboard and hold with my fingers to start the testing process.
IMG_2369.jpg

At this point, we have sound!!! >>Click for sound file

I spent a bunch of time fine tuning this toneboard. The arc looks alot better than initially. I ended up having to go back to the disc sander for the tip, deepening the air channel for more volume, and a bunch of time on the emery board. It's reed is cut for it and this baby can sing. I also buffed it on the buffing wheel to get it smooth for the mouth.

IMG_2377.jpg

I tried all the calls and it sings best in Cody's call, based on the bell length and taper. This baby is loud...very loud. My ears are ringing as I type this.
IMG_2379.jpg

It'll do a wide range of pitches for such a small toneboard. >>Click for final sound file

Tony Thanks for the comments on the coyote,but I owe it all to you buddy...That cow horn howler that I been PM'ing you about,well thats what did it...I used a Faulks p-60 predator call for about a minute and then switched to the howler and here he came...Im sure it doesnt sound as good as yours but maybe the coyote felt sorry for me...By the way could you put me down for the black horn call on the left and I like them to sound raspy.I have never had a custom before so Im looking forward to the call when its done...Everybody should own a TT call...pm me when call is done with payment info,Thanks again,Chad

Last edited by a moderator:
Chad, I appreciate the comments but the black call is spoken for. I'm sure I have more black horn that I can turn, but someone already spoke for that one.

Thanks...Tony

Tony,

These online builds are awesome. This is just one of the many things I was referring to in my last PM to ya. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Oh, by the way, your fingernails do look nasty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thanks a bunch guys. These online builds are the best I can do (for right now) to having ya'll in my shop to watch them. Now...if I can only get the "scent" of working on horn to come across the internet to you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark, I'd like to say that my fingernails now look different....but they don't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's what happens when you're in call building mode. Cocobolo dust and friction polish sure does make a slur that gets into everything. It's all worth it, if it helps put fur on the ground for you guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Tony

2 T's, The hands don't look that bad they just look a little weathered. Don't you just love working with cow horn? I do. Great job with the post and calls.

Jim

Back