UPDATE ON HORNADY PROMO BULLETS

Quote:
You see anybody else offering freebies with die/reloading purchases?

Hmmm, lets think about this.

RCBS doesn't make bullets, or Forster, or Redding, or Lee

Hornady has the ability to give product away that others can't...that gives them an edge...it's purely a marketing ploy.

Quote:
No way Hornady is in the top 5 in reloading equipment sales. There is a reason why........

And you base this off of what? Do you know who the top five companies in reloading sales are? What is your sources? The quality of their reloading equipment is on par with RCBS, with Hornady dies being better. And like I said, the reason why is, they have a marketing ploy that none of the others can do - and that does give them an edge. And in a NORMAL year - every company is looking for any edge that they can get.

Hornady dies blow. Every experienced reloader I know agrees. I also base it on the fact that I talk to tons of guys who reload every day, and can think of NONE who use Hornady. Can think of several who can't stand it, though. RCBS, Forster, Redding and Lee are ALL able to offer up free incentives of whatever kind they wish, but don't need to in order to sell their products.

By the way, they all use Hornady bullets of some form......

Quote:
Hornady makes great bullets. There is a reason why they have to offer their "free" bullets to sell their dies.......

The latest New Dimention standard dies from Hornady are as good or better than the current RCBS, Lee, or Lyman and are almost as good as Redding and Bonanza, if your not talking benchrest dies.

2muchgun, I would glady trade you my Standard .308 FL RCBS die set for a Standard FL Hornady set just to get the Hornady seating die. I can't figure why your so down on the Hornady dies.

Seems to me like maybe Hornady is trying to get people hooked on their bullets as often the guy who is buying dies is likely to be working up loads for thier gun. If they are set up to use Hornady bullets they will spend far more on bullets over the years than dies. I think that Honady sees this as a really good thing for them, and for the customer, as the customer gets to try someones bullets without buying them. And this is the exact customer they are looking for.
I understand being frustrated with not getting the bullets as soon as you expected, and I am sure that Hornady would like you to be singing their praises not running them down. If I were you I would buy some bullets other than the ones that they are sending you and then when you get thiers you can compare, and I would use the ones that worked best in my gun rather than boycotting Honady just because they were unable to be as quick as both you and they would have liked.

Im just curious how many of you that are posting Making me out to be the bad guy are sitting on at least a 6 month wait for something you were told 8-10 weaks then 10-12 weaks then maybe 6 months ?? I held my end of the deal with hornady .They flat out lied to me.And like i keep stating If they knew they couldnt deliver ,Then what gave them the right to cash my check , and i dont give a [beeep] if it was $1.00 or $1,000.00

Quote:
Im just curious how many of you that are posting Making me out to be the bad guy are sitting on at least a 6 month wait for something you were told 8-10 weaks then 10-12 weaks then maybe 6 months

I told you I had to wait 9 months for a knife. I got primers on back order too, when do you think I will get those?

With a few exceptions (very few) on a couple rifles, I shoot hornady bullets almost exclusively. They are very accurate and priced right, at least a couple bucks a box cheaper than everyone else. I really do hope you continue your boycott of Hornady, that will mean theres more on the shelf for me to buy.

mm,,,,,,, You make a good point, but since these are extra-ordenary times, Hornady would probably be better off to discontinue this program untill they can actually supply the bullets they are "trying to get you hooked on". Marketing's marketing and I'm certainly no expert on the matter, but I can see the excessive wait creating as much bad press as good in this instance. Butttt,,,, that's just my opinion.
I'm probably one of the very few people that don't use any Hornady bullets right now. I'm sure that's because they do make excelent bullets at a very good price, and therefore they already own the Lion's share of the bullet market. I tend to agree with 2MG that the promotion is more about selling dies than bullets.

I like Hornady bullets and would certainly use them if I had a need, but the one expierience I had with their dies is another story. That "Zip-Spindle" may be one of the stupidest ideas ever. (It's even dumber than the o-ring locking nut that some genius at Lee came up with if that's possible /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif) That alone would keep me from ever trying them again,,,,, even if they promiced to overnight their "free" bullets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif JMO

Darby,,,,,,,, If it's any conselation to ya,,, I backordered 5000 Rem. 7.5's from Cabelas and got them in 30 days. Didn't pay 150.00 a brick like the mutts on GunBroker either. $32.00 plus shipping and haz-mat put them at about $38.00. Hang in there.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
I don't think Hornady sells that much reloading equipment compared to some of the other big names. Matter of fact, I know so. It ain't about sellin' bullets, I'll tell you that. Hornady sells LOTS of bullets, compared to anybody....

Hornady has changed their dies design @ least 2x in the last 10yrs that I can think of for sure. The 1st generation CGND dies were an abomination. Most user unfriendly SOBs I've seen. A lot of people were turned off by them and stopped using Hornady dies at that point. Then they changed the zip spindle thingy. I don't know how much better the 2nd generation CGND dies are, but after trying the first ones, I'm not inclined to find out, and neither are a lot of others. I think Hornady lost some of the few guys who did use their dies, at this point, and has been trying to make up for it ever since. Anyway, that is my take.

If I never laid eyes on another set of reloading dies other than Redding for the rest of my life, I'd die(pun there) perfectly happy........

Back