WHAT ABOUT A 308 FOR LONG RANGE??

I read none of this thread. So forgive me.

IMO, the 308 is great for F-class type shooting out to 600 yards. In the right hands, it is good to about 800yds. After that, it is a brick.

There are much better choices out there for long range shooting than the 308.........

Originally Posted By: trevor73402People watch "Best of the West" and just think its easy....nothing to it right? I just have to lay down and spin the turret on my "Huskemaw" scope and pull the trigger. Yeah, that cant be hard at all, I think I'll give it a try. They said anyone can be a Long Range Hunter if I have their scope and shoot Berger Boo-lits!!

Jesus!!! I despise that show for this very reason! They need to be whacked in the head with their Huskemaw scope.

WOW. Someone who actually GETS IT. I could not agree more
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

The following is one of the best posts I have read on this site. Good job!

Originally Posted By: trevor73402People watch "Best of the West" and just think its easy....nothing to it right? I just have to lay down and spin the turret on my "Huskemaw" scope and pull the trigger. Yeah, that cant be hard at all, I think I'll give it a try. They said anyone can be a Long Range Hunter if I have their scope and shoot Berger Boo-lits!!

Jesus!!! I despise that show for this very reason! They need to be whacked in the head with their Huskemaw scope.

I love long range hunting. Ive engulfed myself in it over the last 2yrs. I made my 2 longest kill shots to date in October and November. The first was a coyote at 627yds with a 7WSM and the second was a deer at 689yds with a 6.5x47L. Obviously, neither of these are a .308. I practice alot! I shoot atleast 20 rounds a week at minimum and sometimes I'll shoot 35-50 rounds in a day. I put alot of focus on first round cold bore shots. That's what counts the most. On my property I have white backer boards set up at various locations and I'll "stalk" these targets as if in a hunting scenario. This was way I've been walking so I'm breathing a bit harder than normal. I have to get down prone on the gun cold. I range it and send it. I have 1" hot dots on the backer boards. A 1" dot at 500yds is a pretty small target, but it gives me a precise point to aim at rather than something so large like steel plates. No, I'm not "bulls eyeing" the 1" dot, but I'm in the vitals easily on a game animal.

Anyway, my point to all this is if you want to hunt long range then go for it, but you need to spend the time practicing FIRST. Don't use the deer for target practice. That cold bore shot is where it's at. If you shoot a decent group on rounds 4-9, that's not near as important as round #1.

As to your question on a .308......if long range is your game, then you are severely handicapping yourself with the .308. I'm not saying it can't do it, but why not pick something that can do it easy. Something in the 6.5mm shooting 140's or the 7mm shooting 168's to 180's.

Also....a few things your need to this right.
1.) a chronograph.....it's just almost a "must" if you don't want to waste alot of ammo.
2.) a good rangefinder....never leave home without it.
3.) a good rear bag.
4.) some type of ballistics calculator for dope that you trust/is proven accurate to compensate for varying conditons such as temp, humidity, altitude, pressure, wind. You can make a dope card, but a dope card made at 3,450ft on a 80 degree day with 53% humidity is not going to be accurate at 5,650ft on a 35 degree day with 75% humidity. You have to account for changes in enviroment.

Happy hunting!

I'm really hopping that you all are not looking down on me for the best of the west comment. I am not one that watches the show and thinks that its easy. I was simply saying that the web site does have alot of info and the tools to get the job done or at least make people realize that its not as easy as they make it look on tv.

Your typical 308 goes subsonic around the 800 yard mark. Handloading u can push a little faster than factory ammo. 168 gr. bullets seem to be inconsistent after 600 yards. I am pushing 175 smk to 2740 fps and could go faster but accuracy started suffering. Yes the 308 is great for long range but there are calibers better suited for long range hunting. 260 rem, 6.5 creedmoter, 6.5x47 lapua, 7mm08. Higher ballistic coefficients equals less drop and less time adjusting knobs on your scope. Another idea shooting any animal at long range is take a compass with u and after u take your shot shoot an azimuth to the target and shoot follow that reading

Originally Posted By: sage rat243ai,with 107 vld

Do not shoot deer or elk long range with a .243

Everyone has summed it up pretty well, so I won't repeat much. If you really want to be serious about long range hunting look at a 338 Edge. It will pack enough energy at 600-800 yards for an elk.

I have punched a lot of paper with a 308 out to 1000 yards, its great for that. However, I would not try a shot on large game past about 500 yards. Secondly if you don't practice and master long range shooting I would suggest that you not even try. Ethical kills are far better than following blood trails in the hope that you eventually find your game. The 308 is a wonderful round, very much under appreciated and underestimated, but it does have limitations...just not nearly as many as the trigger actuator on most rifles!

Back