What AR rifle to hunt coyotes and deer? (see narrative)

Not try to jack the thread here but im in the same boat. im not really looking for a deer rifle but more for coyote at long range. some one had mentioned the 243 wssm and the .25 wssm what yalls thoughts on these two rifle. I know the 243 has been highly recomended and the 243 wssm just alows you to have it in a Ar15. but from what i understand the 243 and 243 wssm have about the same balistics right?

If you are sticking to the AR 15 platform then I also suggest the 6.8, as you are not a reloader, ammo availablilty is better than 6.5, I am pretty sure. As mentioned before you can always get a 223 upper for it later.

If you want to go with a 243 or 308 then you will have to move up to the AR 10 platform (or should I say 308 platform), if you go with this platform it will be heavier because the receiver and mags are larger to accommodate the longer overall length of the 308 (or variants) cartridge. With this platform some of your common cartridges are 308, 243, and 7mm-08.

With both platforms if you ever decide to start reloading then your options go up exponentially.

As for your question about the Remington R-15 (ar 15 platform) I believe the only chamberings available are 223 and 30 AR. And the R-25 (AR 10 platform) I believe the chamberings are 243, 7mm-08, and 308.

Hope this helps

i love my dtech 243wssm. shot the biggest buck i have ever shot on my place this year with it.85gr sierra game king dropped him in his tracks.lungs on this buck looked like jello when i field dressed him.

Last edited:
Or.........how about a 6.5 creedmoor in a AR-10 platform!!

Heck of a round, big enough for hogs and brutal on yotes.

I use this caliber for precision tactical matches and it rocks! Of course in bolt action...
w00t.gif

I would definitely go with the 6.8SPC for what you want to do. By just buying the upper and lower separately you should be able to put one together for under $700....not counting your optics as I did this rig. Shoots factory ammo very well.
68Rig.jpg

Last edited:
I personally lean to the 6.5 as my hunting partner has used one from AA for some time and I have one on in the mail from SD. His rifle loves the wolf branded 120 grain MPT and AA custom loaded 115 Berbers for deer hog & black bear. For yotes he is using a some 85 grain bullets that he custom loads.

The only time we have had any trouble with the rifle cycling is when using the Wolf 123 grain soft points, which is dirty shooting and inconsistent.

Originally Posted By: oklahuntingfoolIs a 6.8 smaller than a .308? How does it compare to a .243? How does a 6.5 compare to a .243?

6.8 is same diameter as 270, so yes smaller than 308 (7.62).

A 6.8 cartidge has the same OAL as a 223, the case is slightly larger in diameter. Therefore it can be used in the AR15 platform.

The 243 is based of the 308 cartridge (just necked down), therefore it is a larger case. Definitley gonna have more power than the 6.8 due to much more powder capacity. Since it is based off of the 308 you have to use the AR10 platform (R25, LR308, etc). FYI, keep in mind when you get to this platform not all parts are interchangeable. The AR10 is Armalite's proprietary platform, very few in the industry have adopted this platform. The other common platform is the DPMS LR308 platform, most in the industry have adopted this platform so you have many more options if you go this route. Even the mags will not interchange between the Armalite and DPMS platforms. The R25 is based off the the DPMS platform, DPMS actually used to make the Remington, but pretty sure it is in house now.

Others feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of this, but I do believe all of this is true to the best of my knowledge. (and there are a lot more knowledgable people on here than me)
wink.gif

Hard to beat the 6.8 SPCII for coyotes and deer from an AR platform. 90 grain Sierra HP's at 2900 FPS do a great job on coyotes. 110 grain Sierra Pro Hunters work well on deer.

One more question. When you shoot a 90 grain bullet for coyotes and a 110 grain bullet for deer, what do you do with the scope? Meaning, are they close enough to be accurate at ranges less than 300 yards or do you compensate in some way for the different weight bullet?

If you want something for in the woods the 458 Socom will do a great job. I have a bdc 250 scope on mine and can put a 3 shot group of 4" at 300 Yards off the bench. The 405 grain bullet will drop anything you need to on this continent.

For Coyotes it is a little strong but in my hunting I would rather tear a coyote up then lose a deer or elk.

DSC_7958.jpg

Originally Posted By: oklahuntingfoolOne more question. When you shoot a 90 grain bullet for coyotes and a 110 grain bullet for deer, what do you do with the scope? Meaning, are they close enough to be accurate at ranges less than 300 yards or do you compensate in some way for the different weight bullet?

My 6.8 shoots 110 grain Pro Hunters 3 inches low and 2 inches right of my zero for my 90 grain Varminters at 100 yards. I just rezero my scope when I switch from one load to the other.

Back