What do you carry / CCW

willy1947

I was talking to a LEO friend who just retired.
We were talking about what pistol a person should carry.
This picture show different pistols I have carried.
Starting in 1969 in Fall River, Mass.

I started with a S&W Chief 38 special.
Then a Glock 19 9mm
Last 5 years a Kimber Solo 9mm
Now I carry a Zastava M88A 9mm

You ask why? I have never had to fire one in self-defense.
An online website was selling these M88A's for $189.00.
If I ever have to use a firearm. It will set in lock up for at least 6 months.
If I will ever get it back.
I love my old friends to much to do that to them.
So my choice is the $189 M88A. This pistol is all steel not any plastic except grips.
All the reviews were very good and my 150 rounds of 115gr.
Went by with no jams or miss fires. Shot better than the Kimber.
My friend like mine so much he bought one for himself.
I fits real nice in a 1791 inside the belt holster.
What do you carry? Are you ready for it to set somewhere for 6 months. Then get lost.

doMHr2z.jpg

I typically appendix carry a Glock 27 on a clipdraw (have for 8-10 yrs). Sometimes a 642 j-frame on a clipdraw. Tried a Kimber ultra .45 but beaver tail safety poked my belly and it was too heavy. Picked up a smith bodyguard 380 for pocket carry if desired.
You're right though. Most situations, if used, life as known is over.

Got lots of guns that I could carry but like my little Kel-Tec .32 ACP loaded with Cor-Bon 60 grain hollow points. Where I live violent crime is like nonexistent but when on long motorcycle rides it feels pretty good having that little gun with me. So small I forget I even have it.

Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 Compact with 16 rounds of 9mm 124 gr. Federal HST +P nastiness. This summer I'll down size to a S&W Shield 9mm with nine rounds of the same ammo, plus a spare magazine. If it gets locked away after it saves my life or my families lives then it was money well spent. S&W makes them everyday and I'll buy another and be happy I'm walking, talking and able to do so.

Glock 19 with a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro sight and Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain +P. Everyday everywhere!

8W10HOj.jpg

With all the talk about pistols going in "lockup", my Springfield Sub Compact hold 9 rounds in the mag, is it safe? Less than 10, without one in the pipe.

Last edited:
Depends on the situation. I get in some rough areas for work and like to be discreet. In that case it's the Kimber Micro 9. It tucks in my pants or pocket very easily. On the weekends or on the scoot it's the S&W MP 40 compact. Love them both.

Sig Sauer Scorpion edition P938 with Federal 9mm HST Micro 150 Grain HP's. As with others here, if it comes to that point my least worry is getting the pistol back.

For me in the 70's it was a Star PD 45 ACP, got an offer I couldn't refuse and had a S&W Model 13 4" HB built with adjustable sights again someone wanted it so bad that money was no object and it went down the road. I carried a Charter Arms 38 for years working nights in the Seattle rail yards, upgraded to a Taurus 41 mag Tracker and now a bone stock Glock 19.

When they hit the market the xds mod2 in 9mm will likely be my choice, assuming the grip is like the mod2 subcompact models, I'm a Sig guy primarily but the mod 2's got the most amazing grip I've ever found on a small/mid size handgun

My gun safe has lots of guns to select from. I am a medium sized guy with no butt and heavy guns tend to pull my pants down (not a pretty picture). Any gun weighing much over 20 ounces just doesn't work for me as a everyday carry gun. I prefer revolvers and especially like stubnose. I often carry a charter arms undercover with bobbed hammer in my jeans front pocket. When I belt carry it has been with a s&w 642 with crimson trace grips. I have a s&w stub nose 22 that I practice with, in addition to the carry guns. I try to shoot atleast 50 rounds 3 times per week.
I've started to carry a bersa 380. The BERSA 380 cc model fits in my front jeans pocket. Two magazines in a old cell phone case ride in the other front pocket. I have a BERSA 22 that I use for practice. When I belt carry, I have a BERSA thunder 380 full size, that has sights that are easier to see.
I really believe in having a 22 handgun that matches closely the gun I carry to practice with. I always finish my practice with shooting a cylinder or magazine of full power carry ammo. I know that I have better guns to go into battle with but I have confidence in my ability to hit with what I carry.

Most of the time it’s a S&W 642CT. Sometimes it’s a Colt 1911 45acp Defender. I like them both, but the 38 has a couple more holster options and will still put down a bad guy.

Back