What grain bullet

foxrunner

I have a Remington model 700 VTR 22-250 it has a 1 in 9 twist. Does anyone happen to have this same gun that could recommend what grain bullet i should use?

Last edited:
I'm pretty certain your new rifle has a 14 twist, the 223 has a 9 twist.

I would recommend a 55gr bullet in either twist.

I have a remington 700VSF that shoots 55gr pills like a laser.

I don't think you can go wrong with any bullet from 40 to 55gr in the 22-250.

bob

I have the same gun using it for coyotes only, shoots great but the 50 and 55 grain bullets make a mess out of the fur. I have found some 35 grain bullets and plan on testing them once the stupid wind dies down some.
I can't find any 40 grain bullets in the area at all and Hornady won't even give me an idea when they will have them in stock.
I am shooting all ballistic tip style bullets, they knock em down but leaves a big hole.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1duckcrazyI have the same gun using it for coyotes only, shoots great but the 50 and 55 grain bullets make a mess out of the fur. I have found some 35 grain bullets and plan on testing them once the stupid wind dies down some.
I can't find any 40 grain bullets in the area at all and Hornady won't even give me an idea when they will have them in stock.
I am shooting all ballistic tip style bullets, they knock em down but leaves a big hole.

Try the Sierra 55g Game Kings, Sierra 50g Varminter, Speer 52g HP, Speer 50g Spitzer, Hornady 50g Spire Point and the Winchester 55g PSP. I've found these to be easier on fur. Especially after lowering my velocity 5-7%.

Ok, I went out and shot today 1/2/2011 and these are the results.
The rifle was rock steady, no wind.
The top target is Remington accu-tip in 50 grain @100yds.
The second target is Winchester 55 grain soft points @100yd
Why cant i get this gun to group??
DSCF2650.jpg

DSCF2651.jpg

Last edited:
A few questions come to my mind. If the gun is new the groups may tighten up as you shoot more. Some guns do it after 100-200 rounds.
Is the trigger adjusted down to a low but safe pull.
What scope, is there parallax.
Is the barrel free floated. are the stock screws tightened properly. Is the gun cleaned.
You may have already checked all this.
The groups aren't horrible and should be able improve.
We all want one hole but some guns shoot 1 1/2 and that's what some manufacturers back.
There may be another factory load that will do better. The Winchester Supreme ballistic tips I shoot are 50 gr combined technology bullet with lubalox coating. Essentially a Nosler ballistic tip.
Also most guys get good groups from the 45 gr Winchester white box sometimes at walmart. They do tend to be dirty on the barrel but shoot pretty hot.

Originally Posted By: tripod3A few questions come to my mind. If the gun is new the groups may tighten up as you shoot more. Some guns do it after 100-200 rounds.
Is the trigger adjusted down to a low but safe pull.
What scope, is there parallax.
Is the barrel free floated. are the stock screws tightened properly. Is the gun cleaned.
You may have already checked all this.
The groups aren't horrible and should be able improve.
We all want one hole but some guns shoot 1 1/2 and that's what some manufacturers back.
There may be another factory load that will do better. The Winchester Supreme ballistic tips I shoot are 50 gr combined technology bullet with lubalox coating. Essentially a Nosler ballistic tip.
Also most guys get good groups from the 45 gr Winchester white box sometimes at walmart. They do tend to be dirty on the barrel but shoot pretty hot.

All of that plus a bunch more.

Sand bags? Shooting rest? Gun vise? Where were the bags, if used, positioned? Scope mounts tight? Rings lapped? Rings tight/over tightened? Plus many more I can't even think of right now.

And this may sound rude and crude, but I certainly don't intend it to be, but how much shooting have you actually done in your life?

I ain't to proud to say I'm not a great (hanging head in shame) bench shooter/paper puncher. I do have days that I surprise myself though. The days that I feel way off on the bench I will let somebody else give it a whirl. On some of my bad days I've been known to ask a total stranger to try a few rounds out of a rifle I am shooting just to see if it's me or the rifle. (Hanging head again. It's usually me
smile.gif
)

Long story short, might wanna have somebody that has good bench technique and experiance give the rifle a go. And it damm well could be the rifle. Good luck.

Thanks for the replys. The gun is new,about30 rounds through it. I am shooting off of a Caldwell Lead Sled.
I do some shooting not a pro by any means but i dial in all my guns and they all shoot dead on, even with factory ammo.The funny thing is i shot it at fifty yards first and i put all 3 shots in the same hole. Put a target out at 100yds. and i get this!! I did re-check everything on the gun and it all checks out. I have a leupold VX1 3X9X40 on it.

WOW!
I am shooting the VTR in 22-250 and grouped 3 @ 100 yards with factory ammo (Winchester white box 40gr JHP) and can cover them with a dime.
Sorry for the burry pic from cell phone!
VTR22-250.jpg

Back