What is accurate?

Quote:

Sex seems to have a more positive effect on good groups than one could ever imagine, seems to improve the ability to concentrate.

Funny you say that. When I used to shoot trap competitively,
I had a rule of no sex two days before a tournament or registered shoot. I am pretty sure the extra testosterone made me more aggresive.

Quote:

I've never hand loaded my own ammo, its hard for the laymen
to gather how a different load will throw a round 3" the
other way of a previous load without expecting a keyhole
pattern from a tumbling bullet.

In my (limited) experience, varying loads with the SAME bullet will not shoot groups an excessive distance from another group. But a change in bullet shapes or weights CAN cause this. I have 2 different loads that are both very accurate in my rifle, but they are far different bullet designs. They shoot point of impact about 2.5" different.

And your initial take on reloading couldn't be more wrong. There are reloaders who simply reload for the sake of having a rather unlimited supply of ammunition available and shoot a ton of rounds, and there are reloaders who shoot a moderate amount and search for the most accurate load they can assemble. These groups overlap at times (benchrest shooters especially seek accuracy and shoot a lot) but most reloaders will lean one way or the other. It CAN be frustrating at times, but more often than not it's a very enjoyable and rewarding undertaking.

Wow, a lot of different thoughts here and quite a few misunderstandings between posters. Probably because there are many different definitions of accuracy: mechanical rifle/ammo accuracy off sandbags/bench vs. shooter skill accuracy, target size accuracy requirements (prairie dog accuracy vs. elk accuracy, 100 yds vs. 1000 yds, etc.). Many of us are talking about very different selections from this group, which is comparing apples to oranges.

A lot depends entirely on what a given shooter wants to do with his rifle. The varmint guys seem to all want .5" @ 100 rifles, and some of the big game guys too. And a lot of people are stuck in 'shoot off the bench=accuracy' mindset. This is 'rifle/ammo accuracy', not necessarily shooter accuracy, though you still have to know how to aim and press properly even off a bench to get the best results.

Speedkills, I didn't mean to say that someone can shoot tighter from position than the rifle will group from the bench. Rather the opposite: If your rifle bench-tests at say 1" at 100 yds, and the best you can do away from the bench (say rested prone) is 2" at 100 yds, then you are wasting your time and money trying to make your 1"@100 rifle into a .5"@100 rifle. Better to spend your time and money learning to shoot up to your rifle's ability. When your field position skills let you shoot as accurately as the rifle shoots off a benchrest, THEN it is worth your time and money to try to increase its accuracy, because if you keep practicing then you might be able to increase your skill to match the rifle's new better capability. Otherwise the .5"@100 capability is something you simply cannot put to noticable use under field conditions. Will it make you 'feel better/more confident'? Maybe, but will that 'feeling' make you a better shot? I doubt it highly.

I can understand the high accuracy requirements for varmint/target/sniper rifles, but not so much for big game. A deer's kill zone is around 8" give or take. Even way out at 300 yards that's just under 3 MOA. If you're a skilled position shooter, you can hit that from sitting out to 200-250 yards with sling, or 300 w/sling from prone, without a rest, and without a sub-MOA rifle. The people I know who can do this with ease can do it as well with a 1.5 MOA rifle as with a sub-MOA rifle. You sure as heck don't need a sub-MOA rifle to kill at 200 yards, even something as small as a coyote.

On the topic of shooter accuracy, I see lots of references to using a rest, any rest, backpack/rock/bipod/sticks/log, whatever. All fine ideas, and I would encourage the use of rests whenever possible. As Jeff Cooper said, "If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier."

But honestly now, how many of you guys can hit worth a darn without a rest? How many of you guys know how to use a loop sling? How many have had good instruction in proper position principles? Someday you might not have a rest available for the shot. Of course I am an old bullseye position rifle competitor (no rests allowed!) so that gives me a different perspective on rifle shooting (I guess I'm just a position snob). Not meaning to offend anybody, but in my position-shooting-snob opinion, if you can't hit without a rest, YOU CAN'T REALLY SHOOT! Being able to shoot very well without a rest will not only be a bigger 'confidence booster' than having a .5 MOA rifle (because it will be REAL not imagined), it will actually make you a better shot over a rest as well!

Having the skill level to shoot, with a loop sling but no rest, 8 MOA from standing, 2-3 MOA from sitting and 1-2 MOA from prone means being able to properly hit your deer/elk at 100 from standing, 200-250 from sitting w/loop sling, and 300-400 from prone w/sling. All doable with a plain-jane 1.5 MOA rifle.

Given a kill-zone target size of 8-9" where any hit within that zone counts equally, if any of you guys can come up with a realistic, field-demonstrable criticism of that kind of personal ability with that kind of average rifle, I'd like to both hear your explanation AND see you demonstrate it in the field, at unknown distance, under time pressure, on that target. I'd really like to see where a rifle of .5 MOA gives a MEANINGFULLY better result than one of 1.5 MOA within 300 yards. Yes I know that from the bench at 300, a 1.5 MOA rifle should give a 4.5" group vs. a 1.5" group for the .5 MOA rifle. My point is I know darn few rifle owners who can hit an 8" target at 300 FROM POSITION, whereas the ones I know who can, can do it just as well with either a .5 MOA rifle or a 1.5 MOA rifle. Human accuracy counts more here than mechanical accuracy.

Now obviously if we either shrink targets or extend ranges, we will run into the range limit for the 1.5 MOA rifle long before the .5 MOA rifle. BUT, the difference in these cases (tiny targets at extreme ranges) only matters to the approximately 1% of rifle shooters who are skilled enough to take advantage of the extra mechanical accuracy available, at ranges far outside the sane limit for the other 99% of us! I think we do have to realize that there is a 'point of diminishing returns' where for most of us the difference between .5 MOA and 1 MOA simply doesn't realistically matter once we get off the bench and out in the hills.

I don't think I've ever owned a rifle that was a consistent .5"@100 shooter. I have shot a few 5-shot groups that small off the bench at 100 now and then, but even my heavy .22-250 AI pd gun averaged only about 2/3 MOA, and was very deadly past 400 before the throat burned out. Most of my guns are in that allegedly 'useless' category of 1" to 1.5" @100. Yet I have hit my share of game, have managed to make expert in highpower (with a 1.5 MOA M1 Garand), and with my 1-1.5 MOA hunting rifles can ring 8" to 10" steel plates from sitting and prone w/sling (no rest) all day out to beyond 300 with about a 90% hit ratio, and pretty darn quickly too.

And I know that the shots I have missed (and there have been plenty of those) were not because my rifle wasn't a .5 MOA gem. It was because I misjudged range and/or wind and held wrong, or because I flinched on the trigger pull, or because the target was moving and I had only a SWAG for how to lead it and guessed wrong, or because I didn't know how to get steady enough to hold properly and just let go a Hail Mary. All my fault, none the rifle's fault. And I have been using rifles for 35 years. The only exceptions I can think of were when the .22-250 throat burned out and I was either shooting rings around my aimpoint or the bullets were disintegrating in mid-air (faint puff of grey smoke) halfway to the target. Since all these were shot off sandbags on a bench, I'll call that a mechanical problem.

Okay, enough babble. How about a real working definition of accuracy?

For rifles, I think we can REALISTICALLY define mechanical accuracy by the requirements of target size and maximum practical ethical/skill-level engagement distance, with the absolute range limitation being a distance where the animal's kill zone is as large as the MOA accuracy capability of the rifle at that distance:

1) Big game: An antelope's kill zone is about 6", a deer's 8-9", an elk's 10-12". In general, we can call a big game rifle 'very accurate' if it shoots 1 MOA at the furthest distance (while MOA is always linear with distance, a rifle's groups are not necessarily linear with distance) that you think you should ethically try a shot in the field under ideal conditions. Anything under that is 'extremely accurate' (IMHO, unecessarily so) for big game rifle. A 1 MOA at 600 rifle will keep its shots on an antelope's kill zone at 600. That is rifle capability that far exceeds the skill capability of about 99% of rifle shooters. >1 to 1.5 MOA is 'acceptably accurate' for a big game rifle to 400 yards. Anything bigger shortens your theoretical range but will still work fine under the right circumstances (3 MOA .30-30 lever gun in the brush, etc.). I think it should be obvious that hitting an 8" target at 200-300 yards (the longer side of average distance for big game) does not REQUIRE a .5 MOA rifle. It DOES require the shooter to know how to shoot the rifle to a 2.5 MOA standard. If said rifle is only a 1.75 MOA rifle, guess what result said shooter will still achieve with it.
In this target size/distance category, shooter skill is more important than equipment capability, given the average rifle capability.

2) target/varmint/sniper rifles should be sub-MOA. One MOA at 500 yards is just over 5", which means that you're using all of a fat prairie dog's lower body. The X-ring of a 600 yard Highpower target is 6" (1 MOA), the 10-ring twice that. A man's face at 600 is about 1 MOA wide too. When the wind is blowing and/or you don't know the exact range but are pretty sure it's just a little closer than the moon, every little bit helps. At this category of target size/distance, equipment performance requirements are higher, and skill level requirements are not only higher but are required to approach equipment performance capabilities. .75 MOA will probably do as a maximum, but some folks will just feel really insecure with those buckshot groups. Here more mechanical accuracy doesn't hurt and may actually be usable if you are in that top 1%.

Shooter accuracy:
First, learn to use a loop (NOT hasty) sling (Ching, GI M1907, GI green webbing)! Second, learn position shooting skills (natural point of aim, bone support, relaxation, etc.)! Third, learn to aim properly without eye/sights misalignment! Fourth, learn proper trigger management so you don't blow the shot in the act of firing it! Fifth, use a point-blank zero based on your intended target radius and understand its concept! Sixth, learn to eyeball range well enough to judge your maximum point blank distance! Seventh, learn your trajectory beyond your maximum point blank distance! Eighth, learn to read and compensate for wind! Ninth, practice the above like crazy!

1)Big game: assuming scope sight and loop sling, 8 MOA or better groups from standing, 4 MOA or better from kneeling & squatting, 3 MOA or better from sitting, 2 MOA or better from prone. With iron sights or hasty sling, you will do worse. These are the standards to which I train and on a good day I can meet or exceed them. If you can do the above, you won't need rests, bipods, or sticks for any but the most difficult shots, and you will be better able to use them when necessary.

2) varmint/target/sniper: Varmints are usually shot from a bench or from sticks/bipods/sandbags from sitting or prone. Proper position shooting principles will make you a better stick/bipod shooter. So will loop sling use (in conjunction with the bipod/sticks) in certain instances. For target shooting you will have to do what the rules dictate (depends on the sport). Tactical stuff will be field expedient rests combined with really good position skills.

3) combat: all the above plus a well-ingrained reflexive snapshot from offhand out to 50 yards.

As you can see, my experience has been in position shooting in the field and on the target range. Observing shooters ranging from rank beginners to high masters, with equipment ranging from crude to unbelievable, at ranges from 50 feet to 600 yards, has given me some very definitive opinions on what 'accuracy' means. Namely, that the shooter matters far more than the gun. A top dawg with a 1.5 MOA rifle will open up several cans of whup-azz on a guy with a .3 MOA rifle who has only shot from a bench, if they both shoot from the ground.

All you guys who get rid of rifles that won't shoot 1/2 inch at 100, if I had the cash I'd be able to put them to very good use! If I had a dollar for every time I've seen on this forum "My rifles must shoot a half-inch at 100 or I get rid of them!" I could retire. On the other hand, after 3 years of smallbore rifle target shooting and seven years of highpower rifle target shooting and a few 3-gun matches here and there (and being a shooter for 35 years), if I had a dollar for every guy I met who could actually show me a difference in his personal performance between a 1 MOA rifle and a .5 MOA rifle, I would definately have less than $10 in hand, and probably less than $5.

Like Yogi Berra said about baseball: Shooting is 50 percent physical and 90 percent mental. Don't get psyched out over whether your rifle shoots tiny enough groups from sandbags on a bench unless you are a benchrest competitor or want a 600-yard prairie dog. If you yourself can't duplicate it in the field, it's meaningless. Get psyched up instead over shooting small-enough groups from a field position. That is where the rubber meets the road! When your field position shooting measures up to your rifle's benchrest accuracy, then start drooling over equipment upgrades. Learn to hit well without a rest and you really won't care much how tight your rifle shoots off the bench, as long as it shoots a bit tighter than you do.

For the record, I like my big-game hunting rifles to shoot no worse than 1.5 MOA and prefer 1-1.33 MOA. Still tighter than I can hold in the field. My coyote .243 shoots a 1 MOA load with a 70 Speer TNT, and I have on two or three occasions shot 5-shot groups with this from sitting with loop sling at 200 yds that measure less than 3". While I still can't hit a moving coyote at 200 for crap (the sitting ones should be toast), I don't think that would be cured by having my .243 shoot tighter off the bench.

Whew! I just spent 3 hours writing this when I had planned to go to the range today instead. Oh well, I hope this helps somebody out.

I don't think varmint, target, and sniper rifles should be lumped into the same category. Each is vastly different from the other, in both form and function, in the traditional sense........

2muchgun, really? Interesting. I see them all as being very accurate rifles, usually (with some exceptions) bolt guns, usually repeaters (with some exceptions) fired off a rest or from prone, at very small targets, very far away, requiring similar accuracy and skill requirements. The only difference I see is in the target engaged and the 'rules' of the circumstances, and possibly, optic vs. iron sights (think Palma). What do you see as different, from the point of view of either the rifle, or its use by the shooter?

Pete,
That was a FANSTASTIC post!

What you elaborated on so eloquently is exactly the reason I don't get too hung up on group size. Sure I like to know what my sticks can do at their best, but I'm certainly not on the quest for the Holy Grail of Bughole. If my rifle shoots an honest .5MOA @ 100yds, then I have a proven standard to work toward from field shooting positions...

If I can get the bullet I want to shoot to run at the speed I want & it gives me honest 5 shot "MOA'ish" accuracy from s solid rest, then call me a VERY happy shooter! I sure as sugar can't hold that same 5 shot group in the field (well, maybe off a bipod when I hold my mouth right), so it just don't matter so much...

I've got a whole bunch of different sized steel plates that I shoot at from all kinds of silly positions, just to learn my limitations. And its fun fun fun!

Great thread!

Pete you hit the nail on the head. My buddy was talking to me while on a hunt together how he wanted to trade in his .223 for something faster so he could shoot farther. Then I told him to get his range finder out, we finally got it to range something in the field 332 away that was its limit, then I asked him how well he could guess range and practiced this on power poles, 50-75yrds off past 300 yrds wasn't uncommon. Then I asked what kind of groups his .223 shot at 300 yrds and he didn't know as he has never shot that far on a target. Lump all of the above together and you have no idea where your gun hits a x yards or how far away the game is then it doesn't even matter how good of a gun or shot you are you will still miss. Get good at those two things while getting to be a better hunting shot and then talk. I sight in on the bench then I'm shooting off my sticks and knees like I hunt. I'm not going to lie I like my rifle to shoot great and it probably doesn't matter in real life situations but I just like holding up that target and knowing that I made that rifle shoot that well. Another thing I see guys doing too much of off the bench is shooting at 100yrds over and over, although small groups at 100 usually mean smaller groups at 200 that is not always the case. So just because your rifle shoots 1 moa at 100 does not mean that load will do the same at 300, maybe maybe not. Just some thoughts

Pete I'm glad you spent the three hours.

It is what you can do in the field not off a bench. I to have tried to explain to fellow shooters and hunters that if you shoot well enough to hit a soda can at 200 yards you will definitely be able to hit anything from a woodchuck to a moose and a 1.5 moa rifle will allow you to do that.

Bravo! For your well thought out post.

I learned a lot from that post CPete and a little light finally went off as to what you were trying to explain before! Thanks and sorry I made your fingers sore. Jerry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

No prob, I like to babble on too much anyway.
I like to shoot.
I like to observe, talk to, and learn from other shooters.
I like to think about shooting in a very analytical way.
I like to teach others to shoot.
I like to babble on too much anyway.

Shooting is mostly a mental game. What goes on in your head dictates what you do, how, and why. If your head is in the wrong place it will mess up your game. Getting your head straight is task #1. Glad some of you found it useful.

Here's another way of looking at accuracy: mean radius of error. This was Jeff Cooper's preference over group size, for practical field accuracy. Mean radius of error is how far your individual shot was off your aimpoint. This is more a measure of personal skill rather than rifle accuracy, and is more telling in that it shows you what you did wrong or right.

Now go practice! Oh, and check out the Appleseed website.

Last edited:
Nice pep talk, but your theories are flawed. Near the bottom of the third paragraph of your lengthy post you state that a more accurate rifle might make you feel better, but you "highly doubt" that feeling will make you a better shot.

Then later you quote Yogi Berra and say that shooting is 50% physical and 90% mental. And now in your latest post you wrote a whole paragraph saying that shooting is mostly mental.

So which one is it? You're contradicting yourself. Either feelings and your mental state are important, or they're not.

Having good reliable equipment IS a vital part of the mental game. Having a super accurate rifle can be a HUGE confidence booster. But you "highly doubt" that will make you a better shooter? I think you need to re-evaluate your theory.

And your math is wrong too. I don't have time to address that topic at the moment, but I will shortly.

Stiff Neck,
You are right to some extent about contradicting myself. However, my point is that it is better to feel confident because you have already proven your performance level on demand, rather than to feel confident because your rifle is accurate. One exists in reality (your actual performance), and one only exists in your imagination (the idea that a really accurate rifle makes you shoot better). The former is far more important, in my opinion, than the latter. No matter how accurate your rifle is, YOU still have to perform. I would rather have the confidence in my proven ability than have to make up for lack of proven ability by believing my rifle is magic. The difference is what that confidence is based on. I've seen guys with great confidence in themselves because of their expensive rifle turn out to not be able to hit a barn door while hanging on the hinges. That is a mental game played poorly. Confidence in equipment does not make up for a lack of personal skill! You do need good equipment you know and can trust, but that is not the whole deal. And while confidence helps attitude in particular and performance in general, I have yet to see how it helps someone hold steadier, judge wind or range better, or break bad habits.

'Feeling' is one thing, 'Doing' is another. I'll take skill over emotion any day. And then I will 'feel' good about my 'real skill'. THAT is the confidence booster you want, buddy. If I can shoot 2 MOA with a 1.5 MOA rifle, and you can only shoot 2.5 MOA with a .5 MOA rifle, guess who wins.

Now if you can explain to me how feeling confident in your rifle by itself will make you build a better, steadier position, have a more consistent cheek weld, have better breath control, concentrate on your sight picture better, have better trigger management, better eliminate unecessary muscle tension, judge range and wind in the field better, etc., then you will have invented an entirely new way of teaching rifle shooting! Sorry, I just don't buy it. In 35 years I've never seen or heard of it. These are the skills of rifle shooting. They don't come from confidence, rather, confidence comes from them! You have it backwards buddy.

And these are not 'theories'. They are PRACTICE that works, not only for me but for all the others for whom I have seen it work first. I learned it from them, my coaches and fellow shooters, on the range, putting holes in paper, in competition or in training class, winning my high school smallbore rifle team state championship, making expert in highpower, and earning an expert certificate from Jeff Cooper. I have seen this with my own eyes and done it with my own hands, and seen others do it as well, including those I have taught. I am a student of rifle shooting. I am by no means a great shot (never did make master), but I didn't dream this up at the keyboard while typing.

When I stepped to the line at a highpower match, I saw that most shooters had equipment of about the same high level. Even the beginners could buy the same level of accuracy from the same gunsmiths that built the rifles of the high masters. So, you could say that the beginners had the same level of confidence in their half-MOA rifles as the high masters did. Even playing field on that score, and according to you, that means that the beginners had the same chance at winning as the high master veterans? But what made the match winner was SKILL and EXPERIENCE. THAT is not THEORY, buddy. When I started IPSC I used a plain-jane WWII Government 1911A1 that rattled like a coffee can full of nuts and bolts. I soon found I was beating some guys who had $2500 Open-class race guns with compensators and red-dot sights. I'm sure they were very confident in their guns. But, they couldn't shoot worth a crap and I could, so I beat them. I learned this by doing, by putting my money down and taking my turn against the rest. What have you done?

As far as my math goes, well, who knows, I've always stunk at arithmetic. But I'm pretty sure I got it right. And it has worked for me so far - on the range where I hit targets consistently with rifles in which I have 'full confidence' even when they're not sub-MOA (although my .243 does have a very annoying wandering zero problem I'll have to figure out and fix). If I know I can shoot 2 MOA, and my rifle shoots 1 MOA, please explain how switching to a rifle that shoots .5 MOA changes ANYTHING? I'm still a 2 MOA shooter, I know that, and I know that until I can shoot better than 1 MOA it won't make any difference. Any other thoughts are smoke and mirrors. I'll say no thank you to false confidence and stick with reality.

By the way, I recently heard from an acquaintance of mine to whom I gave intensive rifle instruction prior to his entering the Marine Corps earlier this fall. He completes boot camp the end of this month. He qualified expert, for which he credits my teaching, and according to him the instruction I gave him was superior to what he received in USMC boot camp! So much for mere 'theories', eh?

And just what kind of rifle shooting do YOU do, Stiff Neck?

Last edited:
Quote:
By the way, I recently heard from an acquaintance of mine to whom I gave intensive rifle instruction prior to his entering the Marine Corps earlier this fall. He not only qualified expert, according to him the instruction I gave him was superior to what he received in USMC boot camp! So much for mere 'theories', eh?

Your kidding right... There are more drills instructing privates to shoot that don't know how to shoot themselves then you would believe.. Mostly its teaching them how to use the weapon, than how to actually use it effectivley.. One of my last duties in the Army was to teach Drills how to do what they were teaching, and yes shooting was top of the list right above CQM and Mout tactics.. I think you have things pretty nailed down but, you can be the mental magician of the century and it won't do you diddly squat if your rifle won't shoot less than 1.5moa. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I don't log onto this site to brag about the awards I've won. Since you ask, I'll. Send you a PM.

That said, what is or is not "important" for someone's mental game is purely subjective. What works for you may not work for the next guy. So you can't tell me that confidence in my equipment does not help my mental game and allow my "subconscience" mind to better focus on the task at hand, ie the elements of marksmanship.

I don't have it backwards. I have it my way and it works for me. You never heard your ball coach tell you to "get your mind in the game"? You can perfect the physical aspect of shooting. But you must be focused if you want to make your body perform the way you trained hour after hour.

That said, you can have you cheek weld ect absolutely perfected, and you can be all over the mental game. But all the training in the world. But your less-accurate rifle will always hold you back. The best jockey in the world can only make a mule run so fast...

Actually yotekllr, if the accuracy that the shot requires is not less than 1.5 MOA, then a 1.5 MOA rifle, properly handled, will do the job just fine! That is the point I am trying to make, apparently still unsuccessfully!

Now if you are trying to use a 1.5 MOA rifle for a sub-MOA task, you are going to be disappointed more often than not. In the real world of normal-range big-game hunting or infantry combat a 1.5 MOA rifle will not only do the required job just fine probably 99% of the time, it will outshoot the vast majority of those people wielding it.

As far as that USMC quote above, no I am not kidding. My buddy said that during a switch from 200 to 300 yards, his DI did his sight adjustment incorrectly, but thanks to what I taught him he was able to correct it himself. And I find it very disappointing that the Marines cannot do better than me! I mean, what the heck is the world coming to?? Guess I'll have to give the Commandant a piece of my mind. ;-)

A less-accurate rifle will only hold me back when I can shoot better than that rifle. If you read my posts again you will see I said that that is the time to move up in equipment.

Not meaning to brag or offend you Stiff Neck. Just trying to point out that I'm not a keyboard commando. If that works for you, fine, go ahead. What I find is that confidence helps prevent negative things, ie screwing up, which is what tends to defeat people more often than not. For me, it does not necessarily help improve execution.

I stand by my experiences, you stand by yours. Suit yourself. But don't call reality 'theories'. And I will be interested in your experiences. I might learn something. Which is what it is all about, after all.

Yotekyllr,

Standard accuracy for the issue M16A2 is typically 2MOA+ not to mention the 7 pound trigger and I still managed to consistently qualify as expert on the army standard 40 target pop up range out to 300 meters. I would have loved a 1.5MOA rifle with a decent trigger, but even with the rifle I was issued I could hit silhouettes at 300. I stand by Pete and his novel! Of course I got out as an E5 after 5 years at Bragg, so you trump me there, but I see you are missing your Airborne wings on your displayed 201 file so that makes you a damned dirty leg which means you know nothing!!! Also may I add that Air Assault School was not the 10 hardest days in the Army for me so there!

Well Pete I think You just about covered it all, and now I know for sure I need reading glasses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Accurate is staying with Your fundamentals for every shot You make, regaurdless of the position you fire from, and keep shooting up that ammo, the more You shoot the better you will know Your gun. One thing i can think of that would help anyone with accuracy is good optics, a military marksmen Instructor told me if all he had was $1000 to spend on setting up a rifle he would spend $200 on the rifle and $800 on the scope. After 35+ years of shooting and shooting in both military and civilian compititon I agree with him. I hope this helps best of luck.

Last edited:
Pete, The main problem is that they have people instructing markmaship that have not shot a weapon since they attended boot camp. They come from many different jobs and the only real qualification for the job at hand is being and NCO and getting orders...In the Army the Infantry attends what is called OSUT training at one location Ft Benning GA. BRM (Basic Rifle Marksmanship) is taught for 6 intensive weeks only by Infantry NCO. Overall time for basic training is 14wks.. The rest of the Army attends Basic Training at 7 locations and these soldiers recieve a total of 2 weeks dabbleing with rifles...Taught by every thing from Finance clerks to Supply Sgts.. The marines work similar to this second senerio... I was a part of what is essentially a quality control special traing group for a time. We evaluated basic training Co's on what they were basically training. In one event we took every Drill SGT from one battalion (around 30) and made them qualify with a bone stock M16.. To make a long story short..2 out of the the 30plus Drill Seargents even qualified and no one even came close to expert.. Then on the same range we tested our group against theirs (to make a point) and 7 out of 7 of us qualified expert...

Your friend is not a minority as I have had more than one private that came to my team or squad in the operational Army that was a very good shot and more time than not he learned more than the basics in the civilian world. Conversely, I have had time and time again had to break bad habits that kids learn from grandpa or dad as a youth.. The optimal shooter for me was a kid that had grown up in the inner city and had never touched a rifle and was not tainted from basic training.. The private would always prove to become a marksman because there were no bad learned behaviors and a guy could teach him the right way, right away..

I agree for the most part on your 1.5 moa point.. but as far as a considering that an accurate rifle its not gonna cut it for most things in my opinion. I want a rifle to shoot 1moa, and for myself to shoot 1.5moa or better in the field with that weapon system..So for my purposes and I would imagine most people 1.5moa is not an acceptable level of accuracy.. If a rifle that shoots 1.5 moa is shot by a person capable of shooting 1.5moa then subsequently is put up against a rifle shooting .5moa with a shooter also capable of 1.5moa in the field then the later will be the victor because the shooters 1.5 moa margin of error when considering equiptment gets cut in more than half..

Back