What is the BEST Fox caliber ?

3850-3900fps, isn't that right there with the .17 Fireball?

[/quote] Yes Matt, you're right. But the 17 Ackley Hornet that I have is much superior in accuracy to the 17 Fireball Remington Predator that I had. I use 12.1 grains of N-120 in the 17 AH behind the 20 gr V-Max. I bought the 17 Fireball thinking that it would perform as a solid coyote gun with the 25 and 30 gr bullets, it is at it's best with the 20 grainers though. Didn't need two slinging em at the same speed, so the Fireball went bye-bye. Searching for a 17 Remington build next. My Browning Micro Hunter A Bolt that was converted from 22 Hornet to the 17 Ackley Hornet has made "Safe Queens" out of alot of good rifles. Its amazing. It's the Ultimate Fox Rifle whether at 250 yards or 50 yds. The HMR's and 22 magnums can't hang with it out there at 150-250 yds. Don't hold over, you'll miss. [/quote]

Now that's impressive. I may have to rethink the .17 AH. I have 2 .17 Rems, one custom on a 700 BDL action with a 2oz. trigger and no safety and the other a standard 700 BDL. The standard BDL is the calling rifle and is shooting 25 grain Bergers at everything; probably a little more than needed for fox. How is that .17 AH on bobcat?

Originally Posted By: Matt N. How is that .17 AH on bobcat?

I am waiting to determine that. I've called in two bobcats so far this year, and didn't have the 17 AH in my hands, I was just doing the calling for a friend, who was the shooter. It(17AH) has never failed me yet and continues to surprise me in most cases, but I am concerned about it killing a bobcat, I am sure bullet placement(20gr) is going to be critical, if you have ever skinned a bobcat and seen the muscular front end on one of them things, you know what I mean. Ressembles a weight lifter. Byron South and I have talked about this and he thinks bullet hydroshock has less effect on a bobcat than other animals because of the density of their muscles. Byron likes the ft lbs of enenrgy on cats, not so much speed. Still to be determined.

Sonny

i shoot a 22 mag been using the hornady critical defense seems to work well on fox pin hole going in and if it exits it is about the size of a quarter

also like the winchester hollow points but can't seem to find them

Last edited:
I like the 17cal 25gr. Berger target HP's so far for the reds and on coons. Haven't had a grey catch a bullet with them yet. I am starting to prefer it over the HMR when I can get away with the noise and have more open areas or the chance a bobcat or coyote may show up. I run them at 3500fps and so far it has been good if you don't rake them. If I had to try any other combo, it would be a 20gr. V-max at close to 4000fps. Too many guys with pristine pelts and that combo for it not to be worthy
wink.gif
. I think the key is shooting center shoulder broadside or center chest facing. Anything else could tear them or blow through. I gave up trying the 223s on fox after a lot of sewing. 12ga with 4buck or T shot isn't as bad as I would have thought it would be on fox either from the couple I've shot or witnessed.

Some of the hide damage I've gotten with the Berger Target HP's in the short time I've run it.

Coon entrance at 40yds, no exit.
12-08-2012%20coon%20entrance%20.jpeg

Red Fox at 110yds broadside into shoulder no exit.
02-07-2014%20red%20damage.jpg

Red fox running at 84yds and clipped brisket on entry quartering away uphill and exited in armpit size of golf ball on top fox. He ran 30yds before piling up. Bottom one shot in chest facing at 75yds, didn't even bleed out of hole while carrying her head down for the first 500yds. Pinhole in no exit.
01-21-2014%20contest%20pair.jpg

I've had good results shooting chucks with this same round too, but they tend to be a little more leathery than fox and have been know to even soak up 243 bullets from me before. Hopefully more testing to come with this and my next 17rem in the works.

ive killed a bunch of grays around my house and id say if you only plan for a fox to come in my 17hmr shooting the 20gr hornady has been the best drops them and no damage if they are at a distance my 243 with 58gr vmax no damage to them but up close you will have problems same with 223 id say a 22mag or 17hmr would be ideal for just fox

Originally Posted By: crosseyedThanks HunterBear for your response. I was wandering what type of bullet are you useing out of your 17 hmr and if it is "fur friendly"? Was thinking of using my 12 guage as well but did'nt want to limit myself to a 40 yard range.

I taken them and coyotes over 65 yards with federal lead 3" BB shot and a kicks 670 choke

A bit surprised that no one has mentioned the 17 HH. It is almost identical to the 17AH but is a factory round. Ammo is a little hard to come by but can be found and should be easier to get as Hornady catches up with production demands. Their factory round is a 20 gr Vmax at 3650. Most hits on fox and Bobcat will be entrance hole with no exit. IMO the most perfect round for thin skin and fur. Just like the 17AH. Perhaps the finest little round to have for small stuff. Makes pigeons a feather poof(-; here's a couple we have put together. These are built on CZ 527 actions
ab42d2783b7eef8fce0151e44ca83747.jpg

213a8dfc7a4b0b9ccf559544bdc2afa4.jpg

4f9c2d44dcbc64c2f97d001d43ad67e5.jpg

fd1076bb01149dc85e62bb733a828a41.jpg

273b4df5e8e60898d25ba13c25e6b434.jpg

9c5c251f01dd0cc45d3b85d0189d45f1.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dasher A bit surprised that no one has mentioned the 17 HH. It is almost identical to the 17AH but is a factory round. Ammo is a little hard to come by but can be found and should be easier to get as Hornady catches up with production demands. Their factory round is a 20 gr Vmax at 3650. Most hits on fox and Bobcat will be entrance hole with no exit. IMO the most perfect round for thin skin and fur. Just like the 17AH. Perhaps the finest little round to have for small stuff. Makes pigeons a feather poof(-; here's a couple we have put together. These are built on CZ 527 actions

I have killed a few foxes in my time and I agree the 17HH would be an awesome choice. Only reason I don't own one is because of my 17 Ackley Hornet, it is unbelievably impressive on fox. Great pictures Dasher

I use a 17 HRM with 20 grain XTPS, its the perfect grey fox medicine. Small entrance hole .no exit,and thats on shots from 35 yards to 125 yards. Never chased a one.

No one had mentioned the hh because this thread is from 2010 and I dont think the hornady production hornet was out then...only the ackley version

a few years ago I wrote an article for todd kindler in the small caliber news. it compared the 17hmr to the 17 Ackley hornet as a fur friendly fox cartridge.
the results were some what surprising, out of over 20 fox called in that day the ah anchored every fox where he was hit, not so with the 17 hmr, of the 10 shot with the 17hmr one third ran off into the bunch grass and was not retrieved due to a lack of snake boots.
the 17 hmr just didn't have the shock value to overcome the adrenalin of a large grey pumped up coming to defend his territory.
neither did un-repairable damage to fur.
the ideal fox rifle is the 17 v-raptor ( 5.7x28necked down to 17 caliber)or 17 vha or any 17 pushing a 20 gr bullet a 3500 fps or a 25 at 3200 fps.

will the 22 lr, 22 mag work, sure but not always. if you are shooting a 17 center fire such as the 17 fb, 17 Mach iv or even 17 Remington and reload, load them down to 3500 fps. you will spend less time practicing your sewing skills.

After shooting hundreds of red fox with 22 rim fire to 7mm saum. The best fur set-up is the 17 rem with a 25 gr berger match VARMINT. Shoot these around 3900-4000 fps this is all you need 50 yards on out. Under 50 yrds you do not want a caliber you need a gauge (12) with copper plated bb's.

Back