What powder for 22-250 with 40gr bullets

shelton573

What powders do you all prefer for 40gr bullets out of the 22-250? I plan to load some up for my upcoming prairie dog trip. I prefer to stick to Hodgdon extreme powders. I have Benchmark, Varget and H4895 on the shelf at the moment. Any input is much appreciated

I have never run any 40's. Have had good groups with 45's & 50's with all of the powders you listed. Personally I would start with Benchmark. If I could not find a load I liked then I would move on to Varget then to H4895 if necessary. Let us know how it works out!

Last edited:
I've run lots of 40's on Varget...lots, and had good luck. I have been loading some some H4895 as of late, and I'm really liking that. That said, I have not put 4895 behind the 40's. I think either will serve you well on the p-dogs!!!

Recently I bought 8 lbs of H-4895 from Powder Valley. I move around a lot with my loadings, of for some ‘milsurps’ where I’m just looking for casual plinking ammo.

I’d say for your lighter bullets H-4895 would be fine.

The Winchester ball powder always worked for me. It meters very well. I also used Varget, although it needs to be measured for accuracy.

I've got a big jug of PP Varmint kicking around, going to try it out with Varmageddon FBHP 40gr. Have a consistent half MOA load with the 52gr Custom Competition so I'm in no big hurry to mess with it.

Back