What's the lightest and most accurate AR?

The moss erg rifles are actually pretty accurate and not very heavy. You can build one for about 500-550 depending on RECIEVER trigger and barrel

Well deer season is about over and I'm starting to get the itch to be in the woods at night. I didn't end up getting anything when I posted this last year but now I'm looking at doing something again. Still the same question. A sub 7lb gun in .223 and 1 MOA accuracy. Prefer an adjustable stock so it fits bundled up in the cold or mid summer target shooting. Any new opinions on what the best value is that fits the description? Thanks

The lightest, most accurate AR was built, not bought, I can guarantee that.

As others have mentioned, if you're only planning to own one, or two, maybe even 3 AR-15's, then you'll never pay back the tools vs. buying a factory model, and will usually even break even by having a guy like Ritch Johnson or Mike Milli (Dtech) build it for you.

Here's a snippet of a standard email I send out to anybody looking to build their first AR, there's more where that came from if you're interested:

Tools you'll need:

AR Specific:[*]Barrel nut wrench (may need proprietary wrench to match your handguard choice)[*]Castle Nut Spanner Wrench (only if you build a Carbine)[*]Upper & Lower Vise Blocks [*]AR receiver Lapping Spindle[*].223Rem Bolt Lapping modified cartridge[/list]

General Tools:[*]Torque Wrench[*]Pin and Roll-pin punches (and roll pin starter punches)[*]Screwdriver set[*]Lapping compound[/list]

I am currently in the process of building a lightweight+accurate= my dream coyote rifle build. Not sure if this will help now or not, but here's a link to a good list of AR parts listed with their weights -

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/638524_Lightweight_Parts_List_with_WEIGHTS__AR_15_.html

This is where I started, then researched ALOT via Grandpaw Google, and created my own build sheet with weights to figure out approx. total cost and weight for my build. I've got the upper completed and some lower parts (trigger, buffer, stock, etc) purchased. Just trying to get up the last funds to buy final lower parts, and then it will be finished.

Here's my build summary:
- 16" medium contour barrel with fluting
- Full weight BCG
- Naked rifle weight: 6.15 lbs
- Total rifle weight w/ scope mount, scope, and Harris 13.5"-27" bipod: 8.20 lbs.

Good luck to you on your build.

Last edited:
What size groups are you wanting min/max ?

My bushy lite weighs 7lbs 11 oz with barrel mounted laser & 300 lumen light,,, pressure switch ,,,sight mark ultra dot,,, badger ord charge handle and 3 chamber barrel brake oh and 2 point sling and a 3 lb elf drop in trigger.

1206150252_zpsjq0sxmji.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a KSP X-7 Fusion with a 16 in. Faxon pencil barrel. It's MOA till the fourth shot then it starts to open up. It weighs 4.5 pounds naked. I've not had any issues with it so far. Normally if I can't hit something in four shots its already out of sight anyway. I use a 10 round mag. Got it for my grandkids who are a little young to wag around a heavy rifle.

I'm in the same boat as MAArcher. I don't plan on building several guns, but would like to have one AR that is relatively light weight and accurate. I am not opposed to having one built for me by some of the companies listed in this thread above, but if there is a universally recognized factory AR model that receives consistently high marks from the predator hunting community, that is the gun I would be interested in. My problem (likely shared by many other folks) is that I am new to the AR community and really don't know where I need to look to find what I want. With so many build options out there, it is a virtual maze for people like me who have been around firearms all their life, but never ventured into checking out the AR platform. I hate to say money is not an object, but I would like to think I could add a high quality AR to my arsenal for $1500 or less (not including optics). I sincerely appreciate all the information I have gleaned off this web site, and look forward to other folks comments, especially those who have been in the same boat that I'm in.

Carry on.

As far as production guns go, my two most lightest, most accurate one's I've owned have been a Daniel Defense DMV II (around 5.5 lbs bare) and a Christensen ARms CA 15 (around 6 lbs bare). Both are light and shoot MOA. You won't get a Christensen in your budget, but you should be able to find a Daniel Defense in that price range.

You won't find a more accurate AR15 than a Barnes Precision Machine AR15. Lots of guys compete with them around here in 3 Gun and other shooting competitions. Mine is almost as accurate as my custom 6.5x47 as far as producing small groups at 100 yards. Those guys (BPM) are also top of the line and take care of their customers.

Back