What's your favorite rifle, and why

I've been at this a pretty long time, I came back from being stationed in Taiwan in 1967 with six guns strapped to my seabag, two handguns inside and a hardcase with a couple more shotguns in it(only allowed two pieces of luggage). Since then I've bought sold and traded guns pretty steady for 50yrs.

Favorite rifles

I have a special place for combination guns The craftsmanship is great on Euro made ones. I have a JP Sauer Drilling in 16ga/16ga/7x57R with two interchangeable scopes, a 6x48mm Nickels set up for stand hunting and a low mounted Weaver K-1.5 that turns the rifle into a fast handling close in brush gun.

I have a BRNO combo gun in 12ga/22 Savage Highpower(5.6x52R), it is very accurate and makes a great coyote rig for thick cover, close in or far away a coyote is in mortal danger. One of the things that make it a favorite is that I was able to import a set of 12ga O/U barrels with Tula chokes for it. It travels with me most of the time, big game with 70gr softpoints, coyotes with 55gr softpoints and ducks, pheasants, grouse, sporting clays and skeet with just the change of barrels.

I recently pickup MY holy grail of predator rifles. A Sako L-461 Full Stock Vixen in 222 Rem that came with a Leupold compact 2x7 scope. It has given a good account of itself so far looking forward to a few more seasons with it. It is just about perfect for the brush country down here along the border.

There are others, a Rem 600 in 223(original, it came home on my seabag) never knew it was a rare gun until long after it was customize for me. It was a constant companion on trap lines, killed a lot of fox with it, did control work in the 70's with it. In the 90's it became a 6x45mm(shot out the original barrel) and has been shot in the PM Egg Shoot(didn't win with it, it wasn't the guns fault)

I have a Savage action with a PacNor barrel in 25-204 a wildcat that I developed the year after 204 ammo was released, On it's first hunt it killed the biggest Whitetail I've shot. And a 22-204 that has been putting a lot of pelts on the boards. I was happy how the 25-205 turned out I had a 22-204 reamer made.

There are more but that can happen in 50 yrs. Now if you would have included shotguns this could go on for quite awhile.

Last edited:
Just all around favorite rifle? Easy, my Accuracy International AX. It has true bomb proof go to war reliability with benchrest accuracy, and can swap barrels for any caliber that uses a .473 bolt face in short action mags in about a minute with just a 4mm allen wrench.

It typically gets run with a 6.5x47 Lapua barrel, but sees use with some other barrels too.

KASDlux.jpg

LhRzUdp.jpg

wpp04H8.jpg

Back