What's your minimum caliber for racoons?

I just always use the 12 gauge with 4 shot or lead bb's

I have sniped some from 200 yards with the 22-250 but I like to call my coons in.

yes , you can kill a coon with an air rifle. You can kill hogs , deer and cows with a 22LR. but it ain't nearly as effective as a 22 magnum. The quicker something dies with one shot , the better I like it. I shot a truck load of critters with the 22LR . It was at age 16 when I discovered the 22 magnum. It was a real eye opener. Critters died quicker and at longer range. Crows were the first to feel my rath with a scoped 22mag. Crows no longer knew the range of safety like they did when I was packing a scoped Remington 552 speedmaster. Armadillos , Nutria rats , gators , coons , opossums , rabbits, and gray fox no longer required multiple shots from my 22 auto. Use a 22mag , save the 22LR for squirrels , rats , and tin cans. The 22 mag is one of the most useful cartridge there is , not too weak , not too powerful.

Originally Posted By: jbelowyes , you can kill a coon with an air rifle. You can kill hogs , deer and cows with a 22LR. but it ain't nearly as effective as a 22 magnum. The quicker something dies with one shot , the better I like it. I shot a truck load of critters with the 22LR . It was at age 16 when I discovered the 22 magnum. It was a real eye opener. Critters died quicker and at longer range. Crows were the first to feel my rath with a scoped 22mag. Crows no longer knew the range of safety like they did when I was packing a scoped Remington 552 speedmaster. Armadillos , Nutria rats , gators , coons , opossums , rabbits, and gray fox no longer required multiple shots from my 22 auto. Use a 22mag , save the 22LR for squirrels , rats , and tin cans. The 22 mag is one of the most useful cartridge there is , not too weak , not too powerful.

The question I answered was 'minimum' caliber for racoons - not optimal. And as for being more effective, dead is dead. A one shot kill (DRT), with an air rifle is just as effective as a.22mag or .50 BMG! Shooting treed racoons or those within 10-20 yards with an air rifle is Extremely effective - and a whole lot safer. Air Rifle pellets rarely richochet,(and if they do have no penetration energy left), they don't travel a mile or more if you miss and don't pose nearly the risk to unintended targets. I switched to the air rifle for bunnies after using a .22lr and later a .22mag for years. I just got tied of hearing the .22's richochet whine and wondering where it was headed. And anyone that's done much hunting with a .22 and claims never to have heard the richochet of there own round - well - never mind - not worth the extra typing
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: Riflemann22 Stingers up to 50BMG, use whatever is handy

Yeah! Anything above the BMG is just ridiculous!

Chupa
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Irish_80Good point Chupa so I guess I'll just say it. I think the 22lr isn't enough for these big ol' Missouri coons and anyone who has killed one with the .22 is a lucky SOB.
grin.gif

My family has coon hunted for years using nothing but a 22lr. guess we're luck SOBs. lol

Back