When is it too cold to hunt coyotes?

snoticles!! lmao!! it never gets below 75 here in calif.. we hunted one night where the warmest place in the truck was the ice chest!! the soda was slush after about 5 min.. up on top of the camper at 30 mph at 5 degrees is pretty cool!!

I had the snotsicles going Saturday and the sides of my beard had frosted over. Still got 2 coyotes and I hunted two stands.

To cold for me with be when they pry my cold dead fingers from my gun.

Skinner 2

During cloudless full moon nights, I see lots of coyotes during the daytime!

This could only mean one of two things:

1) That the 'otes aren't hunting much at night

or

2) The coyote's hunting success is pretty low and
they resort to hunting around the clock to
try and fill their bellies

From a hunter standpoint, bright nights are a bust because lights are not as effective and once your spotlight is off of the predator it will make you.

Now, use of camo and hiding just like during daylight could make a big difference.

Mark

OK,I give.IT IS TOO DAMN COLD to hunt today,-26 with -43windchill.40-50mphNW,truck needs a boost,gotta work at 4,should go to town and pay bills/banking etc.I guess thats enuf xcuses,I aint goin'huntin today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

To winterize a rifle clean all oil and grease out of the action and lube with dry grafite you'll find it in the lock department at a hardware store in the north. Leave the gun out in the cold, bringing it in to a warm building, camper or vehicle can cause condensation. In deer camp we put them in cases (to keep snow out of them) and hung them under the eve of the tent or put them in the trunk of a car.

AWS (x-minnesotan)

well, we just got about 9 or 10 inches fresh snow, no fresh tracks this morn, but with the wind everything seems to be blown in, now they say a sever cold snap is coming, not as bad as some of you guys have, but still cold for here, they say tom. high is around 5* I was wondering if you guys are having better luck in the day or night now while its cold? We have the largest yote hunt anywhere coming up soon, I was planning on getting a doghouse blind, a small propane heater, my new super warm coat and just staying in the blind till one of us gives up, I have found where they are coming out into a big field runnin the roads, just never seem to be there at the right time, thought maybe I could just wait one out, the guy who won a few years ago sat in his stand for almost 20 hrs, then again he took 1st place and won well over 7000. yes thousand bucks. just from my position there ain't to many places I won't sit for 7 grand.

Around Edmonton,Alberta,Canada lately it's been -49 c with the wind chill and -53c at it's coldest.I lerned for last year to stay home and hibernate when it's this cold cause not much was moving.Each year I keep a log book of each hunt and how cold it was and who drove this time/the wind strength/cloudy or sunny/etc.I found I had less sucess than other days for sure.Coyotes hide in the bush around here and move around to keep warm inside the bush perimeter and are not to keen about moving far to come to a call.My calls freeze up easily when it's this cold and it gets frustrating so I stay home or go to a indoor archery lanes.

Back