Where to shoot coyotes

orkan

http://thehuntingshack.com/?p=660

GREAT article on killing coyotes. That behind the shoulder shot is simply NOT the best place to land the bullet. Favor forward a bit for the best results. 20 years of instinctively shooting animals behind the shoulder is a hard habit to break, but I'm working on it!

Follow the front leg up and insert bullet just below the chest line.

Vitals are just below and forward of the shoulder bone.

I prefer to shoot the Coyote in the front of lower chest.

I have seen way too many spinners because most people "good and bad" aim for mass and not the vitals.

Great info!!
Something new coyote hunters should all take a look at. It just might save some from having to trail after a spinner that then ran off to die a ways away.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisFollow the front leg up and insert bullet just below the chest line.

I have seen way too many spinners because most people "good and bad" aim for mass and not the vitals.

Absolutely! ... and it doesn't matter what you are using. Here's some proof of a coyote shot just low and right behind the shoulder with a 22-243 launching 52SMK's at 4100fps.

Dead center in the shoulder or chest works well for me with the 243 loaded with the 70 grain Blitz King. I seldom have an exit hole.

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisFollow the front leg up and insert bullet just below the chest line.

Absolutely! ... and it doesn't matter what you are using. Here's some proof of a coyote shot just low and right behind the shoulder with a 22-243 launching 52SMK's at 4100fps.

Nice breakfast

Originally Posted By: possumalDead center in the shoulder or chest works well for me with the 243 loaded with the 70 grain Blitz King. I seldom have an exit hole.

I am shooting 55gr Vmax out of my .223 at 4,000FPS.

I was carrying a .243 until I decided to start keeping the Coyotes for the fur buyer. Turned in 14 last Tuesday and got $27.00 average per Yote on the carcass.

I am hoping the price goes up ..... Currently 4 in the freezer and hopefully after this weekend I can add 6-8 more.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisI am shooting 55gr Vmax out of my .223 at 4,000FPS. I sincerely doubt that! .223's can't safely produce that kind of velocity with 55's. 22-250's can't even do it. Did you mean to say .243 and 55 nosler or something?

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisI am shooting 55gr Vmax out of my .223 at 4,000FPS. I sincerely doubt that! .223's can't safely produce that kind of velocity with 55's. 22-250's can't even do it. Did you mean to say .243 and 55 nosler or something?

+1

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisI am shooting 55gr Vmax out of my .223 at 4,000FPS. I sincerely doubt that! .223's can't safely produce that kind of velocity with 55's. 22-250's can't even do it. Did you mean to say .243 and 55 nosler or something?

Whoops!

The Savage .243 will come back out when the coyotes are past their prime coat.

I will have to look at my .223 to see what it is putting out? I want to say 3800?

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisOriginally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisI am shooting 55gr Vmax out of my .223 at 4,000FPS. I sincerely doubt that! .223's can't safely produce that kind of velocity with 55's. 22-250's can't even do it. Did you mean to say .243 and 55 nosler or something?

Whoops!

The Savage .243 will come back out when the coyotes are past their prime coat.

I will have to look at my .223 to see what it is putting out? I want to say 3800?

3800 fps seems verey high also. I'd expect more like 3400-3500. unless its a 8 twist thats AI'ed. My 26" 8 twist i have is AI and when fireforming I shoot the 55 grain vmax at 3465 average fps.

I have a buddy that reloads all my ammunition for .243 and .223.

And of course he doesn't answer his phone.

He has all the information listed on my ammo boxes which are in my basement.

I will report back later this evening unless he calls me before hand.

Now I am sooooooooooo confused!!

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisOkay!

He called back..............

.223 55gr vmax @ 3233 FPS

.243 55gr vmax @ 3886 FPS

Sounds better, I was thinking that those pressures had to be through the roof if it was so.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisOkay!

.243 55gr vmax @ 3886 FPS Yup, that's more realistic. Numbers you were quoting before had me questioning your sanity.
wink.gif
Also, I'm not aware of a 55gr vmax in 6mm. I'm guessing he's referring to 58gr Vmax.

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisOkay!

.243 55gr vmax @ 3886 FPS Yup, that's more realistic. Numbers you were quoting before had me questioning your sanity.
wink.gif
Also, I'm not aware of a 55gr vmax in 6mm. I'm guessing he's referring to 58gr Vmax.
Its the 55g NBT in the 243 he shoots.

Back