Which 223 Bullet for Hogs?

ninehorses,
I was told by an "old timer" that butchered hogs this ;
Make an X from ears and eyes and shoot'em in the center of the X. Is this about the same what you are saying ? Frontal shot I'm talking.

Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzkeninehorses,
I was told by an "old timer" that butchered hogs this ;
Make an X from ears and eyes and shoot'em in the center of the X. Is this about the same what you are saying ? Frontal shot I'm talking.

The old timer told you right.
We had "hog killins" all the time when I was a boy 75 years ago, but it's a thing of the past now.
Folks here would "stick" them right at the point of the jawbone, and the hole wasn't any wider than the knife blade. Fancy folks had a scalding box, but us poor folks had a pot of water and a cooker or 2 from the kitchen.
There wasn't nothing wasted but the squeal.
laugh.gif

Tim,

Yes on the "X", works on cows too, if you ever need to shoot a cow.

fw707,

It's been a while since I scalded and scraped a hog, but I still have the 25 gal. cast iron pots. It's just easier to skin them and run them through the grinder. I also like pork loin on the pit. Country boy can survive!

Better get up and left, at that range the rifle is going to shoot a little low.
smile.gif

Hope that was your cow, might give a rancher a heart attack if he saw this.

Tim,
Nice pic's - thanks for sharing your experience.

I also killed a lot of butchering hogs as a kid growing up on a small farm. I was the designated shooter and the "X" marks the spot and a .22LR was the tool for the job. The only feral hog I've ever killed was while turkey hunting and shot it with a .12 gauge 3" magnum turkey load of Hevi 13 #6's at ten steps - a side brain shot. I've seen a few other hogs at various times while hunting but so far haven't had a decent poke at one. A good friend is baiting a site now and we'll be hitting it the first of August. For giggles my Marlin M1895 .45-70 will be my choice with a 405 gr. handload stepping over 1,850 fps. Buddy killed a 325 pounder last year there.

I have been having similar thoughts about a load for my new AR a RRA PP 16".

It's a 1-8 twist so would I be better to have a faster velocity Barnes 62g TSX or would the energy of the Barnes 70g TSX to drop the medium sized deer and pigs?

I've killed a Martian Ton of hogs with BlackHills 69gr MHP's and 68gr Ultramax HP's, don't what projectiles they use for them. Since I've started reloading though, I've liked the 55gr TSX and the 55gr SGK....I like the TSX a little more, I think it penetrates better and I can actually take shoulder shots if I have to. I need to pick me up some 62's.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: FletchNZI have been having similar thoughts about a load for my new AR a RRA PP 16".

It's a 1-8 twist so would I be better to have a faster velocity Barnes 62g TSX or would the energy of the Barnes 70g TSX to drop the medium sized deer and pigs?
62s will pound anything you want to shoot in med size game.

Originally Posted By: GCTim,
Nice pic's - thanks for sharing your experience.

I also killed a lot of butchering hogs as a kid growing up on a small farm. I was the designated shooter and the "X" marks the spot and a .22LR was the tool for the job. The only feral hog I've ever killed was while turkey hunting and shot it with a .12 gauge 3" magnum turkey load of Hevi 13 #6's at ten steps - a side brain shot. I've seen a few other hogs at various times while hunting but so far haven't had a decent poke at one. A good friend is baiting a site now and we'll be hitting it the first of August. For giggles my Marlin M1895 .45-70 will be my choice with a 405 gr. handload stepping over 1,850 fps. Buddy killed a 325 pounder last year there.

Thanks and good luck.

I've just got my reloading kit it the weekend an old Hornady lnl AP ( the 533 AP press made according to serial No) so I'm new to reload but looking from load data from other people there is around 100 fps (velocity) and 40-50 lbs energy difference between the 70g TSX and the 62g TSX.

I assuming the greater energy from the 70g is better unless the velocity is not great enough to make it mushroom. Does anyone know for sure or can shed more light?

I can't say bout the 70s. The biggest pig I've shot was with a 62. Hit it high shoulder/neck and exited out the ear opposite side.

I know guys that have killed deer with 53 gr Barnes and think very highly of them.

One thing to consider about the 70 gr Barnes is that they are long and might not fit in your mags well.Takes more copper than lead to make the same weight,inturn a longer bullet.

I have killed a lot of hogs.I have not shot a hog yet except head shots.I just don't take any other shot cause I have not needed to as of yet.If I was going to I would go bigger than .223.My buddy takes lung shots with his 25/06 and it works fine.A hog has a seam in the skull right in the center front.It is thick but either side is pretty thin and a .22 will go right through on a straight shot.I have killed a bunch of hogs with a 22 cause thats all I had then but don't recommend it if you can do better.If as some said you can get to them quick and stick them that is also good.Just about anything will work on a good head shot but a soft point is better,also it wont go into the shoulder and mess up meat most of the time.I sure hate to see anything get to the point that killing from helo's and such is needed.I just aint blood thirsty like when I was young and loved to kill.I look back and wonder why I was like that..223 works great on head shots.

Back