Which Amp??

stxhunter

This is only my second post so go easy on me. I have the setup from Radio Shack, but I am wanting to upgrade the amp and might use the Big Horn Speaker or a different speaker in the future. I saw the amp kit that was listed on the tech page (Velleman-kit 7 W mono amp), its actually on sale right now. A couple questions about that amp. How do you hook up a battery supply ( solder direct leads from battery?)and what type would you use? Also, by looking at the picture I don't see any inputs for the MP3 player or an output for the speaker? I noticed a few people liked the t-amp but I don't know the advantages or disadvantages to the other kind? If there are any other suggestions please feel free to voice your opinion so I can make a good decision.

Plenty of other ways to skin a cat. Lots of folks have used the RS amp, though it's rated slightly less than 1W and doesn't have very impressive published specs. If you plan to use a small powerhorn it should prove adequate. Not so great for larger cone speakers.

The T Amp was a more recent development than when I built my caller and subsequent TechPage piece I wrote back in 2003 (my attempt to squirm out of responding to a flood of individual inquiries). There was a lot of buzz on the internet about the T-amp a couple of or three years back, including a number of PM boosters. I seem to remember looking at the specs but couldn't suss out whether the T-amp has brick-wall 20KHz filtering or not. That and the thing weighs ~1 lb versus a couple of ounces for the Velleman. While it may be the bees knees, I haven't heard any long-term reports or success stories back from predator callers using it. I'd seen them selling for as little as $15, once upon a time. Then they got discontinued and became collectible or some such. (Last time I looked they were going for closer to a hundred bucks?)

If you go with the Velleman K4001, realize that you're just buying an electronics board with no housing that only has solder posts for hooking up your inputs and outputs. No jacks come with it.

You'll no doubt want to wire up a quick disconnect of one sort or another for your battery. Molex connectors are popular, since these are the type that 9.6 Volt DC NiCad or NiMH R/C race car packs use. Female 1/4" spade-lug wireless terminals will be the ticket if you power yours with a gel-cell intead.

I used transistor radio snap-tabs because they work with the 8-cell AA holders, only to find that standard ones didn't have substantial enough wiring. Radio Shack has HD tabs nowadays.

You'll probably also want to put a charging jack and an on-off switch in the wiring loom while you're at it. And a 1 or 2 A in line fuse is probably a good precaution too, as is a cover or project box for the amp itself, so that you don't get an electrical short from something metallic coming into contact with the bare amp board and starting a forest fire someday.

LionHo

I was looking at a diagram I found of the amp. Now I see how everything is labeled for the jacks and battery input. By any chance do you have a parts list I will need for the jacks, connectors, batteries, fuses, on off switch etc? You said RS sells HD tabs for the battery, I am uncertain I know what kind of tabs these are. Also, the volume control would have to be added as well correct? I want to be certain of what I'm getting in to before I take the plunge!

I am using the amp out of an older Radio Shack 2 way radio 12 volt remote speaker. It is great and I run it on only 9 volts. I use 2 9 volt high MaH bats in parrell keeping the voltage at 9 volts but providing a hole lotta run time.
The amp inside the speaker I used also has auto turn off!
I think the speakers are no longer made but maybe a used one could be found. I use a 6" loud speaker and eaither provide the sounds from a Casscreek caller, ipod or my phone plugged into it.
I do not know any of the specs on the am but I see it is bigger than the one in the battery op amp speaker from RS.
Rick H...

I just got my homemade e-caller finished last week.I used the Veleman 7w amp.I found it in a electronics store for $17.95-ASSEMBLED!It works very well.I dont remember what brand the speaker is but it is a 15w, 5" horn.I built it in a flashlight housing.I put alot of work in making it repairable if I have problems with it.I will try to take pictures of it and post them.It is totally self contained and rechargable.I never have to open it up(unless my soldering jobs don't hold up).Good luck getting yours working.

I've got my setup working, just looking for a way to improve. I like the sound of your setup please post pics when you get a chance. What store did you find that amp in? How do you have the rechargable system setup?

I found the amp in a store in Lancaster, Ohio.The guy works on jukeboxes and stuff. He also keeps some hobby kits and stuff like that. As for the rechargable setup, I just used a 9.6v R/C car battery pack from Radio Shack. I have it wired to a charge port so I can charge it or I can run external devices such as wireless receiver or a decoy.

I got pics of my e-caller finished but I don't know how to post them. I looked in the FAQ section and it said something about having your own website? I don't have that. If any one can help me I would appreciate it.

Ok, I NEED a new amp! My radio shack amp decided to die out on me. It seems like everyone has gone with the velleman amp. Where is the cheapest place to get the velleman amp assembled?

Here are some pics of my e-caller. The inside view doesn't really show a whole lot but I was not going to tear it apart.Every component is wired seperately to a terminal strip with spade connecters for easy removal.The amp is mounted on a platform made fron part of a plastic storage bin.I cut the ends off the terminal strip and glued it to the front of the plastic platform.I have a wiring diagam but it said it was to big to post so I have to redo it.I will post it when I get it done or you can pm me and I will try to send it to you.

[image]
Ampside.jpg
[/image]
[image]
Chargeside.jpg
[/image]
[image]
inside.jpg
[/image]
[image]
plastic.jpg
[/image]
If you have any questions just ask.

OK, got the velleman amp in and hooked it all up. With the same RS speaker there is a huge difference!! I highly recomend this amp for anyones project!

Back