Which foxpro for the money? Is foxpro the only real option?

"Maybe, maybe not" applies to most anything if you think about it. I'll vote for a strong "Maybe" when you put better equipment in the hands of a better hunter.

How's Wildlife Technologies for customer service?

Edit: I read some other reviews on here and answered my own question. Huh, imagine that.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Quote..
I really liked the Primos Alpha Dogg and it may be an option for you at a little more than $200.

This is the BEST caller for the money. You could buy 3 for the price of some others.

But for around 150.00... the Flextone Echo is a great little caller with 100 ..Best sounds-Wildlife Technologies.... sounds on it.... and I've killed many coyotes with it.... and I've never had to call customer service about it.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: cmatera We will likely never get the holy grail.

Some possibly have.
whistle.gif

But really, who has the best sounds, who has the best caller, who has the biggest tally whacker, blah, blah, blah don't mean to damm much.

Outfit a guy who knows what he's doing with an old cassette caller and put him on some ground with coyotes, he'll call and kill em.. No high tech digital crap needed.
thumbup.gif
thumbup1.gif
thumbup.gif
. Enuff said

Absolutely true. But outfit anew caller and equip them with an ecaller and the basics and it can cut the learning curve. Not everyone has someone to show them the ropes in person.! I didn't. Took me three years to kill my first. A good ecaller helped.

Originally Posted By: cmateraAbsolutely true. But outfit anew caller and equip them with an ecaller and the basics and it can cut the learning curve. Not everyone has someone to show them the ropes in person.! I didn't. Took me three years to kill my first. A good ecaller helped.

No, actually it probably didn't.

More likely, you had 3 years of not knowing what the he11 you were doing. You finally started figuring out the game and things started coming together. And you just happened to be using some fancy azzed caller when it happened.

You can't tell me that if you were using a old cassette caller on the fateful day you called and killed the first coyote, that the results wouldn't of been exactly the same.

A fancy azz bells and whistle loaded $700.00 e-caller NEVER taught anybody anything about calling coyotes. NEVER shortened a learning curve. NEVER. No e-caller is capable of doing that.

Give yourself the credit cmatera. YOU did it.

And you better have a hand call for a back up. Because at 1 point or another your e-call will fail to work at 1 point or another! had that happen more than once. someone correct me if I'm wrong,

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: cmateraAbsolutely true. But outfit anew caller and equip them with an ecaller and the basics and it can cut the learning curve. Not everyone has someone to show them the ropes in person.! I didn't. Took me three years to kill my first. A good ecaller helped.

No, actually it probably didn't.

More likely, you had 3 years of not know what the he11 you were doing. You finally started figuring out the game and things started coming together. And you just happened to be using some fancy azzed caller when it happened.

You can't tell me that if you were using a old cassette caller on the fateful day you called and killed the first coyote, that the results wouldn't of been exactly the same.

A fancy azz bells and whistle loaded $700.00 e-caller NEVER taught anybody anything about calling coyotes. NEVER shortened a learning curve. NEVER. No e-caller is capable of doing that.

Give yourself the credit cmatera. YOU did it.

I like this response and agree. If you don't follow the basic setup of predator hunting, it won't matter what you are using. Brand of caller, sounds used. Range of remote wont really matter. Its all about learning the game.

+1 on a lot of this. Learn about what you are trying to do, and then get a FoxPro and don't look back. The customer service is just crazy good. The best of any industry out there, I would say.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesBut really, who has the best sounds, who has the best caller, who has the biggest tally whacker, blah, blah, blah don't mean to damm much.

Outfit a guy who knows what he's doing with an old cassette caller and put him on some ground with coyotes, he'll call and kill em.. No high tech digital crap needed.

Elegantly stated as usual, doggin'!
lol.gif

Hi. I'm new to PM, but not to coyote hunting. Called and shot my first in 1977. Have owned and used mouth calls, Johnny Stewart 45 RPM record player e-caller, Dennis Kirk cassette e-call, Original FoxPro (12 sounds) and now a FoxPro Firestorm. I hunt South East Minnesota where we have gangs of road "hunters" that surround our 1 mile squared - off farmland and drive the critters to posted gunners. I don't consider these guys hunters. Driving game is for guys that don't know how to hunt. Anyway, they make our coyotes very skittish. They NEVER come right in, but will use cover and check-out everything before showing themselves. In my 35+ years of calling I've found that all calls work, some better than others. I've always believed in having the BEST equipment you can afford. That said, I purchased a Firestorm in Aug. of 2012. It was the single best purchase I've made in terms of productivity. I averaged roughly a 10 to 1 ratio on call ins. Since buying the Firestorm and Jack decoy I've been bringing in more like 1 out of 5 stands. The remote capability is the biggest plus. If you value quality more than money, buy a FoxPro. They simply are the best. If you know how to hunt, you can call them with any call, but you'll call MORE with good equipment. For my money that means FoxPro. I never put a price tag on my hunting equipment and I don't have tons of cash. The money spent on my Firestorm was well spent. I just wish it wasn't so COLD so much this year (44 below wind chill today) because noisy snow is giving me headaches. Do it however you want, but for me it's FoxPro. You won't regret it.

P.S. - I don't hate coyotes like some guys do, but regard them as a great game animal. I also WILL NOT shoot pups. I'm not that desperate for targets. That's just me. Tetonka

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrAnd you better have a hand call for a back up. Because at 1 point or another your e-call will fail to work at 1 point or another! had that happen more than once. someone correct me if I'm wrong,

Okay, I can do that. LOL You don't really even need a hand call. Just buy another Ecaller for backup.

I learned to call way back in 1964. I bought a Weems Wild Call at the San Francisco Gun Exchange for $3 because my brother in law said they really worked. I was 19. I moved back to Southern California and read a couple of articles in a couple of different gun magazines and decided to go out calling. I called a coyote in to about 30 yards on my second ever stand. Didn't get him, [beeep]. On the second trip out I was with a friend. I don't remember how many critters we called in but we killed a coyote and then a bobcat.

Hand calls are as effective as they ever were and maybe more so since everybody and his brother is out there playing the same tune. Truest statement here was the one about the guy with savy using pretty much any equipment and still getting animals. More important than the equipment used is having animals to call to. If you don't know where to find them you sure can't call them and I don't care what kind of equipment you use. Too, knowing how to set up will go a long way towards being successful. I fully believe that there is no caller made that will shorten your learning curve. A little woodsmanship is the key and that has to be learned. Learning from an experience caller is the only thing I know that will shorten the learning curve.

On that subject I have to laugh. I know a few people who took up calling and a year later were giving seminars on the subject. Most of what they'd learned was from the internet or from going out with a guide down in Texas.

I tinkered with using a high quality 5" reel to reel portable tape deck back in the 60's. I got a Johnny Stewart 45 RPM record of Jackrabbit Distress and taped it over and over on both sides of the tape then I got 50' of electric wire and a 9" paging speaker. It worked very well but it was cumbersome so I went back to the Weems.

To be fair I've only owned Foxpro products. An FX416B, which is all I really ever needed as it worked great, an FX3 that I had upgraded to FX5 and is still my go to caller, and a Scorpion that I bought for backup. I love the Scorpion for its compact size. Even in a stiff wind it has called up coyotes in eastern Oregon.

The main reason I haven't tried anything but Foxpro is because I haven't felt the need to. The very first day I took out the 416B I called in 6 coyotes and killed 4 of them. The second day I called in 11 coyotes, a gray fox, and a bobcat killing 8 of the coyotes and the gray fox. The first day was in California and the second day was in Arizona. With success like that why would I buy anything else? I've also learned that Foxpro takes customer service seriously.

I use the hand calls as much as I use the Foxpro. The sage brush n Oregon is dense and an Ecaller allows me to concentrate on the gun. In places where I can see for a distance I use the hand calls.

Back