Who shoots the heavy .223 bullets at long range?

crow sniper

I wanted to see if my 1/9 tactical Remington would shoot 80 grainers so i loaded up a few nosler 80's with RL15 to test them out. I loaded up 3 of each in .5 increments from 22 to 24 grains and shot them at 210 yards. From what i can tell they are going to work just fine,any body tried them at 500 + yards ?
9066718019_68709ee08a_b.jpg

I shoot the 80gr A Max in a savage with a criterion 1/8 twist and 23 grains RE 15/Tula SRM. Laser accurate. That 1/9 might be pushing it a little or even a lot. I shoot the Hornady 68 gr HPBT in my Rem Tact with a 1/9 twist. Also a Laser.

Tom

Last edited:
Coleridge, You just keep getting rid of the ones that don't shoot and sooner or later you will bet a barrel that will. Sometimes, no matter what you do, a barrel is just a tomato stake and will never shoot.

Tom

Last edited:
What is the dia. ratio/per the yardage on those steel targets

want to build some and if they are standardized would like to be apples/apples for comparison to yall's

Thanks Jeff

Originally Posted By: SoTexWhat is the dia. ratio/per the yardage on those steel targets

want to build some and if they are standardized would like to be apples/apples for comparison to yall's

Thanks Jeff

Mike might know better than I. I've only been to that range one time. IIRC, they had 3 diff sizes per yardage.

Wish it was my range....
'16 prone deck looking out to 1000yds.
DSC_1012.jpg

Just from my very limited experience out to 500 yards you can use 12 inch circle or square but you need to add about 2 inches diameter every 100 yards past that unless of course you are a good wind doper.

9091527831_4948e50413_b.jpg

I did some more group testing yesterday at 210 yds and my rifle seems to like these three loads pretty good,gonna check them at 500 on paper soon as i can.I had about 10 hits in a row on steel at 475 yds with the 80 grainers ,they fly so slow we could watch them sail through the air with the sunset reflecting off them ,my son really enjoyed it.

Crow, is your barrel free floated good? Only reason I ask is that vertical stringing is sometimes a sign of stock contact as it warms up. I didn't see the same pattern when you posted the first group but just wanted to check.

Yeah its floated,i have it in a B&C stock torqued to 45 in.#
I changed scopes for the second set of targets,took off the 4-14x50 and mounted up my leupold 6-20x56.

Originally Posted By: SoTexWhat is the dia. ratio/per the yardage on those steel targets

Thanks Jeff

They have targets from the following:

Most targets are 6", 9", and 12".

9124392887_6822fa4f03_b.jpg

Made it out to 450yds this weekend,heat was terrible ,still shoots under MOA so im happy with it. I had 5 shots but i used one on steel at 450 just to make sure i dialed correctly and would hit my cardboard.

Wish there I had place to try out some of these heavies. We made a 400 yd range earlier this year out of small window we had on next ridge at my buddies farm, but the leaves came and now I have no window ha

This is exactly the info I've been looking for. I have about 700 75gr AMAX bullets that I want to load up for my CZ and my .223 AI.

I also have some 75gr JHP rounds to try as well.

I am brand new to reloading fellas.....I hope I can repeat some of your success......

If you'all don't mind, can you share the info on the COL on the .223 AI Tim?

Originally Posted By: gonzagaThis is exactly the info I've been looking for. I have about 700 75gr AMAX bullets that I want to load up for my CZ and my .223 AI

If you'all don't mind, can you share the info on the COL on the .223 AI Tim?

Running 75 Amax in a modified ADL repeater @ 2.415"
This is tip to primer,not with a comparator. Kissing the lands ,but not jammed. I can hit the lands with 50 vmaxes aswell.
8 Twist 22"
Running H335 and CCI 450's.
3000fps with temps in the mid 80*s

Back