Will a coyote cross a frozen pond?

Originally Posted By: 17tacticalBack in '07 I was using a predator caller with rabbit decoy, 3 coyotes crossed an entire frozen lake to get to my side. They must have come a good 3/4 miles to get to me. The lake was a solid sheet of ice, crystal clear.

Called my 1st ever double just like that years ago,no decoy,but they came on the tear from 1/2 mile up the lake to within 100 yards.Calling over lakes,ponds and rivers has been one of my favorite tactics ever since and often the only other option here outside of hunting in the thick woods or on clearcuts and hydro lines.

The coyotes here are sissys. They don't like going out when it's cold enough to freze water. It makes their footsies cold. The ones I have seen on frozen water had little booties on. Some were wearing stocking caps, but most just had a furry set of ear muffs.
whistle.gif

Watched them many times crossin and runnin deer down on the pepacton reservior many times.The deer didnt stand a chance on the ice.

I just watched a dvd today of Randy Anderson hunting in Canada were they were setting up on the side of froze lakes and rivers and the dogs were all over them. If you look on the Predator hunting link there is a post that says something like 2 days 16 coyotes thoses guys had there best shoot on the ice , but wasnt able to get 2 of there dogs due to the ice was to thin. Good story

Last edited:
Back