Yotes in Ohio

I noticed you mentioned Blanchester...I live about five miles outside of there and regularly see yotes in the fields on my five minute drive to work. I just can't figure out who owns the farms I see them on!

Yeah I'll check around and see if I can't find a spot. Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm making a trip to bass pro for a call so any advice on what I should get would be appreciated. I don't want to spend a whole bunch on something like an electric call.

Originally Posted By: Odin6I'm making a trip to bass pro for a call so any advice on what I should get would be appreciated. I don't want to spend a whole bunch on something like an electric call.

I'm not trying to be an SA when I suggest that you should check out the Hand Calls Forum, the Custom Calls Forum, and the Production Calls Forum before making a purchase.

There is no single call to rule them all, but open reed calls are the most versatile. You will read this sentiment repeated over and over in the many insightful posts shared by hand callers more knowledgeable and experienced than myself. Good luck and have fun learning about the addicting world of hand calls.

Originally Posted By: fur hunter 833I just got through reading this page it helps with the different sounds and stuff. And how to build a call. But I will use my cell phone instead of the mp3.

http://varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

Varmint Al has helped a lot of people whack their first coyotes with his simple, inexpensive and effective homemade e-caller. I didn't get my first coyote with his e-caller, but I certainly killed a few over it. (And missed a few more. And blew a few more stands.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AR15fanI noticed you mentioned Blanchester...I live about five miles outside of there and regularly see yotes in the fields on my five minute drive to work. I just can't figure out who owns the farms I see them on!

Get a plat map for your county, it will show property lines and the name who is paying the property tax. is the owner.

I hunt Hannibal, and Key, Ohio and do well. I killed 4 coyotes in that area this year all with mouth calls. I hunted the early season and used electronic callers but did no good a buddy from across the river in WV. suggest I use mouth calls and my kills went up everywhere I hunted. The open land is not what it used to be with all the new homes add thousands upon thousands of new callers out their blasting all types of sounds it has made it a lot easier to call them with mouth calls. Between WV, OH, and PA. I would bet we gained 50k predator callers the last 10 years. Pa. alone is said to have 1 million hunters alone. They are called the worlds largest army. You cannot get any more realistic than mouth calls. As far as fox you will kill 5 to 10 a year, no matter what sound you are screaming out of a electronic call. Those guys call themselves predator hunters but cannot call in a coyote to save their lives.

Originally Posted By: shankboneOriginally Posted By: fur hunter 833I just got through reading this page it helps with the different sounds and stuff. And how to build a call. But I will use my cell phone instead of the mp3.

http://varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

Varmint Al has helped a lot of people whack their first coyotes with his simple, inexpensive and effective homemade e-caller. I didn't get my first coyote with his e-caller, but I certainly killed a few over it. (And missed a few more. And blew a few more stands.)

I have also did well with that homebrew model, can't tell you how much fur I laid down with 1. Probably as much as any Electronic call I own. But I suggest using Audacity to edit the sounds. I put a few seconds in front of every sound so it does not come on while scrolling through the sounds, and you can setup your own sequences. That 16 minute sequence of Al's has brought in many predators by the time it hits the second jackrabbit.

Back