You make the call---- selection!

spotstalkshoot

Read on below and you will see why this thread is...
HOMAnimated (1).gif

Scenario, I watched a large male coyote go into a block of woods(15-20 acres). Well after sunrise, so I believe he decided to spend the day there. He entered on the south side, with a north wind. 250 yards sw of where he entered the trees(I could see a large brush pile just inside the woods there) is the corner of the property and the closest cover(fenceline ends with a couple small trees) to the tree block. Field is worked soybean field, that he was meandering thru this morning. I'm going to sneak into that spot at sunset, light behind me, wind will be switching for NNW to East.
I will watch the post for the most popular call sequence,hand or ecall. Let the suggestions fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would sneak in with an ecall, get set up and start out with some soft distress like a field mouse or vole squeaks. I’d give that about 5 minutes. I would start out this way in the event that the coyote is close to your set up to begin with. Say within 300 yards.

If nothing shows I would let out a couple invitation howls on the ecall. Then I would just sit for 10 minutes or so before I’d do a couple more howls. At this point you would be around 20-25 minutes on stand.

I’d still a no show I’d switch to a short series of rabbit distress at around half volume. I’d repeat off and on for about 5 minutes. If still no action I’d switch to pup distress. I’d give that a couple minutes and cycle through a couple more pup distress sounds. After 3-5 different pup distresses, there is still no action , I’d sit quiet for about 5-10 minutes before I pack it in for that stand.

Mouse squeaks. If that doesn’t work I would play some bird. A couple minutes of mouse then 3-4 of bird.

After that I’m playing fights. 3-4 minutes of a fight or two. If I really believe something is there I would finish off with distress.

No pauses between sounds.

IMG_20240107_175536772.jpg
ok started with mouse squeaker, just light enough so I could see with my Steiner 7x50. Had the fox pro set out for challenge howl/rabbit distress. Well it won't work, battery I think. Had my open reed howler and a closed reed tweeter for backup. Did one howl, waited scanning. Started intermittent distress with the closed reed(custom call). Several short screams, I saw 3 approaching from the trees. I went back to the hand squeaker they came over the slight hill and stopped. Thought I shot 2, but think I shot one twice.

Followed along throughout the day, almost like going on the hunt with you. Pretty cool, way to go and execute. Thanks for sharing.

So if you look closely at the pic above, you will see the closed reed call on the ground. I walked to the coyote, lights out. Never turned on the headlamp. Just took the pic, which wrecked my eyesight for a couple minutes. Got home looked at the pictures, have one back at the tripod also. Realized my call is on the ground, not sure how. Luckily when there isn't full snow cover in plowed fields, if you can get yourself to NOT use a light, drag marks show up really well. I drove back out, hiked in the 1/2 ish mile and followed the drag to the call.
IMG_20240107_180641189.jpg

Last edited:
Dang, at least you had a photo showing where it was. I left a hand call behind one hunt, it was a shaker/squeeze type to make bird sounds so not on a lanyard. I realized it was not in my pocket when I got home and went back to retrieve it. I wasn’t exactly sure where it was and tried to retrace my path I walked out and luckily found it by the tree I sat beside of on set. I hate to lose anything, glad you recovered yours also.

Back