young coyotes in mo.

North MO isnt too far south from me. I have been told that in my area I will see young ones out hunting in early to mid june, usually in small groups. They will be solo on their own at 5 months, so that would be about early sept.

So maybe subtract a week or two from my figures and you should be about right on.

Originally Posted By: Johnnyreb11when will u start seeing young coyotes coming to a call in north missouri?

Seen some pups today. They weren't much larger than a 16oz beerski.

edit; As for a call sound. I would opt for a wet teet in distress.

Last edited:
Pups we've been seeing in southern missouri are about 4-8
weeks old.
It'll be awhile before they head for any calls.

Only reason we've seen the real young ones is a neighbors
dog goes out, finds the dens and drags home the coyote pups.
Doesn't hurt them a bit.

Originally Posted By: RJM AcresPups we've been seeing in southern missouri are about 4-8
weeks old.

Doesn't hurt them a bit.

Hey, get some pics of those little coyote pups that dog drags home. Like to see em.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: RJM AcresPups we've been seeing in southern missouri are about 4-8
weeks old.

Doesn't hurt them a bit.

Hey, get some pics of those little coyote pups that dog drags home. Like to see em.

I'll see if the neighbor has some.
Their son was going to try and raise the 1st bunch of pups for
some reason or another but they died after a few days.

And I know they have a bunch more pups the dog hasn't found as
I was over their late 1 afternoon and could hear the pups not
far away.

We're still trying to figure out why the mama coyotes haven't
eaten the neighbors dog while it's stealing the pups. The
dog only weighs about 20-25 pounds. It's a JRT.

f65cf6c6.jpg

be8c2e0b.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RJM AcresWe're still trying to figure out why the mama coyotes haven't

Yeah, that is odd. The male outta be around somewhere also. Odd indeed.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: RJM AcresWe're still trying to figure out why the mama coyotes haven't

Yeah, that is odd. The male outta be around somewhere also. Odd indeed.

1 of our dogs used to drag home litters of wild dog puppies but
she had the size and ability to take care of most of the adults.
Sue's a great pyreneese and weighs around 100 pounds.

Originally Posted By: BBKNorth MO isnt too far south from me. I have been told that in my area I will see young ones out hunting in early to mid june, usually in small groups. They will be solo on their own at 5 months, so that would be about early sept.

So maybe subtract a week or two from my figures and you should be about right on.

Yearling coyotes won't be on their own at 5 months. They may hunt on their own for a day. But will hang around their parents territory through out most of the yr. IMO the yearlings are scattered/dispersed when the female comes in heat.

Originally Posted By: Johnnyreb11when will u start seeing young coyotes coming to a call in north missouri?

I let them fatten up until about October before I butcher.

Southern Idaho is mid June as well!!! Although there is a place we hunt when we see pups all year long don't know why other than you can never call them cause everybody and their dog has tried so they are immune to calling spot and stalk is the only way to get those pesky vermin!!!!

I shot this mom and pup in Western Okla... in late november of last year... caught them sunning themselves in a grassy field.

Then an hour later I shot a pup by itself just out mousing around. Didn't call...just spot and shot.

GEDC0951.jpg

to each is his own as for me i just started hunting coyotes in jan. of this year and i dont have alot of land yet to hunt, i just didnt want to shot one and kill five back at the den.

Back