Zero range?

Shooting in general is mental,physical and equipment. Practicing shooting at longer ranges than your typical shots builds confidence. It also gives you actual information about you and your equipment limitations. I practice at 50+ yards with my bow, makes a 20-25 yard shot on deer seem easy. I carry a portable target stand in truck in the fall and winter, keep the same sight in target on it. Will shoot 300-500 yards twice a month, when I get inside 250 yards of a coyote, I'm not thinking "can I hit it" I'm thinking where is the best place to shoot from and is a head shot possible.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootShooting in general is mental,physical and equipment. Practicing shooting at longer ranges than your typical shots builds confidence. It also gives you actual information about you and your equipment limitations. I practice at 50+ yards with my bow, makes a 20-25 yard shot on deer seem easy. I carry a portable target stand in truck in the fall and winter, keep the same sight in target on it. Will shoot 300-500 yards twice a month, when I get inside 250 yards of a coyote, I'm not thinking "can I hit it" I'm thinking where is the best place to shoot from and is a head shot possible.

Why a headshot?

In the 70's,80's and 90's we had a lot of red fox, shooting them in the head with the 17 rem saved me time sewing pelts. After mange went through the Fox population was very low, coyote numbers increased greatly. I went to a 22-250, the head seems like a big target and a 55 gr Nosler bt stays in the head decently(over 100 yards). As coyote pelts have increased in value, I wanted minimal damage. Replaced the barrel on my worn out 17, to shoot heavier bullets. I often find coyote bedded close to the top to bottom culvert in drainage ditches, a poorly placed body shot will end with them in the culvert. It can take some time to barbwire them out,head shot saves time.

Originally Posted By: songdogso is there a chart on the other side of your stock showing hold over for XX wind speed at each distance?
Left row is yards (obviously)

Middle row is drops in MOA

Right row is a 10 mph wind in MOA

Originally Posted By: tawnoperIt sure has gotten complicated....I'll just stick with my simple approach. There is a lot more to know than taping numbers to a stock.
Hardly complicated, except to those that don't shoot much.

I guess that shows how often I use a dope chart.
w00t.gif
Maybe if I shot more than a BB gun I might find the need for one.

Originally Posted By: wormydog1724Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootShooting in general is mental,physical and equipment. Practicing shooting at longer ranges than your typical shots builds confidence. It also gives you actual information about you and your equipment limitations. I practice at 50+ yards with my bow, makes a 20-25 yard shot on deer seem easy. I carry a portable target stand in truck in the fall and winter, keep the same sight in target on it. Will shoot 300-500 yards twice a month, when I get inside 250 yards of a coyote, I'm not thinking "can I hit it" I'm thinking where is the best place to shoot from and is a head shot possible.

Why a headshot?

Why not.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisWouldn't a "Dope" chart be for "Dopes"???

No.
Not having a dope chart would be for “Dopes”.

lol.gif

All my coyote and deer rifles are zeroed at 200. Anything inside of 300 I just put the crosshairs on and let it fly. 200 is normally a long shot around here also so I have never had an issue to date.

My rifles are set for 'point of aim'; 22-250 is 185 yards on 2 inch bulls eye . My 7MM REM MAG is 210 yards on 4 inch bulls eye. since I never shoot out side those ranges? It serves me well.

It kind of depends on the caliber and what i'm using the rifle for.. My 22-250 I have zeroed at 200 as well as my 300WM just because where I live I get a lot of longer shots because its so wide open. When I Just personal preference I guess!

Back