.243 55-75gr bullets....good powder options

My experience is that barrel length also has consideration on powder choice. Shorter barrel likes faster powder and longer barrel likes slower powder. For instance, I have a 20 inch barrel .243 win that likes 75 vmax with imr 4895. Also have a 26 inch barrel that likes varget with the same 75 vmax. Maybe i'm wrong but that is my experience.

Does anyone have a recommendation on factory loads in the 55-75 gr range? I'm shooting a Savage 243 and would like to find a lighter load that works good on coyotes. I'd really like to start reloading, but I'm not there yet. I've picked up a box of the 58 gr Hornadys, but haven't been to the range yet. It sounds like the 65-75 gr bullets might be alittle more stable.

I've had excellent luck in several 243s using 46.4 of H414 shooting the 75 grain vmax. WARNING STOUT LOAD! I seat the bullet into the lands and whammo! It's been real accurate flat shooting coyote and groundhog steamroller. In all the guns velocity was 3560 fps as an average.

Shoot a yote with this load and they just flat wont get up.

As far as a newer type member calling out older members of pm I have no problem when safety is involved. But as a newer member I would like to suggest my personal rankings of websites I refer to while researching load data. From dead nuts serious to the good ole boys [no offense.]
1. benchrestcentral
2. 6br
3. snipershide
4. predatormasters
First two seems to have unlimited resources and have several guns each in the big bucks range.
Snipershide also have seemingly unlimited funds for gun projects with more in the field results and techniques.
Peredatormasters, on the other hand, are people like me. Funds are limited and $ amount is crucial.
Real field results on anchoring target critter trumps all gadgets & gizmos.
The first thing the newest reloader should lean is no matter where you get reloading info, at all times, in every situation, cross referencing is imperative! Absolutely no exceptions to the rule. Period.
Most all of the reloaders acknowledge that point and have entertaining discussions while doing so.
I personally think cross referencing reloading data is like mining for gold. When you strike it, it is a lot of fun and saves countless amounts of time & $!!
I visit this site the most because what I like doing the most is blasting yotes from 250 yards & out. Those distances require the best groups I can get because I get the absolute worst case of coyote fever ever! These members help me do that. I love this place!!

Originally Posted By: MPFDOne of my .243 lover Varget, and the other loves IMR4064. If you try to interchange shells the pattern and not group..

My 243 was the opposite. It shot 70gr. noslers very close to the same POI with 39gr. of IMR 4064 or 40gr. of Varget. Average velocity was 3463fps vs 3453fps respectively. Gun wasn't a one holer, but varmint worthy enough to take a 500yds groundhog and several in the 400's with single shots. Funny how every barrel has it's own fingerprint. No two are guaranteed alike. Just goes to show how important load development is.

I have two nearly identical 700 VLS .243s (about 200 apart in serial numbers) and one loves Varget and the other IMR4895.

IMG_0177.jpg

Me:
243200yd58Vmax.jpg

My 14 year old son (five rounds here)
justin200yds.jpg

Back