9MM VS 45ACP 1911

I was just kidding with my comment about 8 rounds not being enough. See the vids in my sig for the reference.

My actual take on it is carry what you are comfortable with, I prefer single stacks and can shoot the 45 and the 9 about equally as well. If you are more consistent with the 9, go with it - better with the 45 go with that. If I had my CC, I would probably carry the 45 - to rip off 308 'shooting twice is silly'

Trust the good old .45 ACP... You don't want to end up like this 9mm user!

original.jpg

The primary reason for police and military going to the 9mm is for increased round capacity. The Amadou Diallo shooting in NYC in '99 is an example of why.

The officers ...identified themselves as NYPD officers and that Diallo ran up the outside steps toward his apartment house doorway at their approach, ignoring their orders to stop and "show his hands". The porch lightbulb was out and Diallo was backlit by the inside vestibule light, showing only a silhouette. Diallo then reached into his jacket and withdrew his wallet. Seeing the suspect holding a small square object, Carroll yelled "Gun!" to alert his colleagues. Believing Diallo had aimed a gun at them at close range, the officers opened fire on Diallo. During the shooting, lead officer McMellon tripped backward off the front stairs, causing the other officers to believe he had been shot.

The four officers fired forty-one shots, hitting Diallo nineteen times.

IIRC, the officers were firing from 5-7ft away, and of the 19 hits, only 3 were "mortal" hits. Though the case got national attention and caused all sorts of grief, it's taught in CQC courses today because statistically it's exactly what you would expect from people in their first gun fight. For those that stay in the business to be in a second gun fight, the statistics change dramatically.

If you haven't been in a firefight before, or haven't had extensive and intensive CQC training (spec-ops or SWAT), the recommendation is to go with more capacity. If you HAVE had the experience or training, go with the stopping power.

Umm... .357mag is all I have available right now. I would use .45 over 9mm, but probably 10mm over both. I don't have a real problem with recoil even from a .44mag, and I haven't tried anything bigger than that. I really like the 1911, but I can shoot double stacks well since I am 6'4" and have the hands to match my size. I figure you should use the biggest caliber you can handle with the most ammo in the magazine and still carry and shoot well.

NdIndy, I would really like to try out one of those .460Rowland how has yours been working out.

IMNSHO, .45 ACP 1911 is the greatest combat handgun of all time.

long inconsistant triggers of the modern day DA or DAO are due to improper training and pizzpoor skillset. It is a solution to a manufactured problem.

If you train, and achieve the same level of competency as you have with your rifle, there is no reason not to carry a 1911 cocked and locked.

thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: C.JayIMNSHO, .45 ACP 1911 is the greatest combat handgun of all time.

long inconsistant triggers of the modern day DA or DAO are due to improper training and pizzpoor skillset. It is a solution to a manufactured problem.

If you train, and achieve the same level of competency as you have with your rifle, there is no reason not to carry a 1911 cocked and locked.

thumbup1.gif

I would agree fairly well, but my problem is my handgun skills are currently superior to my rifle skills.

If I had to choose I'd go with the 9mm since it holds more bullets.The .45acp has more stopping power but what's gonna happen when get all sorts of scared and miss the dummy that's shootin at you?It aint gonna matter how much power that bullet has behind it if you miss.If you have more bullets and least that'll give you a little room for error.Plus I don't think you're gonna just be standin there during this whole ordeal.Hitting any kind of target would be pretty challenging when you're tryin to get as far away as possible from that particular object.Again I'm just assuming since I've never been in that situation.But I bet it would be alot different than shootin at a silhouette target.

Besides all of that......just how tough are people anyway?Like I mentioned once before I can't speak from experience but seriously.If you're shootin at someone that's tough enough to soak up 9mm bullets and keep on shootin at you I hope you brought kryptonite because you'll need it.
As for as a 9mm having the same affect as throwing rocks goes......well I don't know about ya'll but I'd take a hit in the face with a 5 pound rock before I'd volunteer to get shot in the face with a 9mm.A broken nose would heal but a hole through the head would be hard to recover from.......true story.

I'd say about the best advice I could give would be to carry whatever you're good with.If I was ever in a life or death situation I'd have to think that it'd be better to hit the fartknocker that's shootin at me with a .22 pistol than it would be to miss that crazy fool with a 500 S&W.So if you do go with the 9mm I don't think you should feel like you're outgunned or anything.If you can put all of those bullets where you want them that should make up for the fact that you aren't shooting a .45acp or 10mm or whatever the case may be.

Last edited:
You can't miss fast enough or enough times to make up for good shot placement from the other guy. Only hits count, second place is a cold dark place in a gunfight.

Originally Posted By: horse482I would get the .45. You can throw rocks and get the same effect as you would shooting the 9mm.

Are you willing to test your theory??

NM Leon said it best if you have the training for the firefights (real life training) stick with stopping power! Now if you don't stick with higher a round count!

All the internet tough guys fail to see if and when you need your pistol it won't be like a day at the range with your buddy screaming in your ear while you shoot! The biggest bullet in the world don't mean a thing if you can place it where you want it!

Here is a test for all those that think they can handle it. Go find a couple paint ball markers (no pump actions) and a couple of buddy's. Have your friends somewhere safe as you stand 10 yrds away from a target. Let the guys with the paint balls say go and start shooting at you as you draw your weapon and try to see how many rounds you get in the center mass of the target! Don't be a sissy and pad up either where your normal street clothes other then a facemask and do this until you can get at least your first 2-3 shots in the center mass of the target!

With that being said I prefer higher round count for the plain and simple fact that I carry to protect the ones I love. It would kill me if I lost one because I ran out of ammo!

4 bad guys coming at you!
8 rd gun = 2rds per guy/ with spare mag 4rds
19rd gun = 4rds per guy/ with spare mag 9rds with 2 to spare

I myself like the those odds a lot better! Because I know that no matter how much range time you got it will be much worse if the real deal comes.

lol ok i musta mis read this anyways what is the gun being used for?
if its 2 legged predators i dont think it much matters cause 500+ fpe with a proper single shot will capacitate about anyone
i got my SR9 for back up while yote hunting with my bow and as a backeason and for a nice carry gun while turkey hunting
biggest predator round here are black bears and you dont see them alot
and im sure if i had an aggressive one a few 9mm in the head will slow him or deter him
if not im sol lol
i just like 9 cause its cheap to reload and easy to shoot
although i dont have a 45 it may be as easy to shoot since im a bigger guy at 6'1" 230lbs i can handle the recoil of a 44 mag lol

Originally Posted By: crowpopperbiggest predator round here are black bears and you dont see them alot
and im sure if i had an aggressive one a few 9mm in the head will slow him or deter him
if not im sol lol

Those spring turkey seasons you might want to switch the 9mm for the 44 mag. Bears are pretty thick skulled and skinned. I would not trust the 9mm, or the 45 auto either, to stop a charging bear.

Quote:if i had an aggressive one a few 9mm in the head will slow him or deter him

Just remember to save one to put in your own head before he gets to you, you'll need it.
scared.gif

Originally Posted By: crowpopperlol ok i musta mis read this anyways what is the gun being used for?
if its 2 legged predators i dont think it much matters cause 500+ fpe with a proper single shot will capacitate about anyone...

Not necessarily and I certainly wouldn't bet my life on it. There are tons of accounts of people taking one whale of a lot of lead before finally giving up the fight. Drugs, alcohol, mental issues, and sometimes when they just get good and dammed mad it takes a lot to take the fight out of them.

Shoot what you want. But there is a truth that, you are all missing. If you wear your gun out in the open, you will never need it. When was the last time you heard of a uniformed officer getting mugged. It aint becouse of the badge on his chest either. Its the big scary thing on his side that puts people on their best behavior.
If some one pulls a gun and says "give me your wallet" and you pull out your 9, or 45, hes going to kill you before you clear leather. Even if he didnt intend to hurt you in the first place, you gave him no choice. On the other hand, if you have a gun on your side for all the world to see, he wont ask for your wallet.

Sorry guys, I just had to stir the pot a little, they are both good calibers, I would just prefer the .45 since it has more knock down power.

Carry the one you shoot best..... I know guys who run out and buy a .45 because their buddies would call them names if they carried a little 9mm. But once they get the the range, the .45 was a bit much for them they had no control of the muzzle and their groups are 6"-8" at best at 10 yards. And we all know that a 6"-8" group at the range will equal a MISS under stress.

I own a kimber.45 target gun and a kimber.45 carry gun and a 9mm kahr. They all work for me and if my buddies want to ride me about carrying a 9mm I let them, it's no skin off my back.

Don't let round count be a huge factor if you need more then 8 rounds you've got bigger problems either a.) you need to spend more time at the range or b.) you need to move to a new neighborhood.

Back