9MM VS 45ACP 1911

Bad argument.

The .300 winmag has more energy, but how much goes with the bullet that passes through? (available energy and tramsitted energy not always the same).

If shot placement was indeed everything, then folks would be packing Hammerli .22rf free pistols for self defense.

In general: bigger bullets make bigger holes. Bigger holes means more stuff hit. Slide a smaller caliber right next to a nerve or clip it with a bigger bullet?

I shoot and carry both, and I would hold with the .45acp for my defense. If you can not resolve your problem in 7-8 shots you are in a fire fight and most likely screwed and out gunned. I carry a Kimber 3" 45 acp now.
Jim

Originally Posted By: B MuellerOk guys who would prefer the 45 because of the knock down power, what are you shooting at coyotes? 223,22-250 or a 300 mag? Chances are you arent using the latter. Why not? the 300 mag will have far more knock down power than the 22 caliber rifles.
It all comes down to shot placement.

In a hunting situation .... yes. You're trying to KILL the target in question.

In a self-defense situation ... your first order of action is to STOP the threat. I want to blow a hole as large as possible into the target. Whether it hits the heart, lungs, breastbone, neck, shoulder ... I could care LESS.

Back