All around varmint caliber .223, .243, 22-250?

22-250 in either bolt or single, 16" w/ coll. stock in thick areas, 20" w/ fixed in open areas, and never rule out the 12 g. w/ #4 buck.....

I personally like the .243 in a bolt platform, but I also use mine for deer and antelope as well. Cant really go wrong with a 20in AR in . 223 for coyote and smaller.

If I could find a more pelt friendly round, my 22-250 would be it. Lookin hard at the 22 hornet. Love the 22-250 as far as killing though.

If I were reloading I would get a bolt gun. For p-dogs it would be a single shot preferably. If it was a walk-around gun it would be a sporter. If it were a p-dog gun mainly I'd get a 204 or 223. If there were no p-dogs in my area I would go with the 22-250. I live in Iowa so my favorite gun is a very accurate Remington LVSF in 22-250. I had an AR heavy barrel once that I traded back for a bolt gun. Nothing wrong with ARs but I had to mow the grass just to find my spent cases. When I did find them, they were dented and very dirty. Didn't make sense to invest a lot of time in brass and have my gun kick them in the teeth. That's me though.

Last edited:
I haven't tried any but would sure like to find out how the 60 grain Nosler Partition would work on Coyotes considering pelt damage. I have used the Nosler Partition on all game hunting for the past 30+ years. I have never had it do anything from 243 to 30-06 but have a caliber size hole going in and a quarter size hole going out. Even on hard side shoulder shots inside 30 yards with the 30-06.

I'm guessing the 22-250 with the 60 grain Nosler Partition would never do anything but 1/4" holes in and 1/2" holes out. But, not having had the chance to use it yet, that is just speculation on my part.

Bolt gun is what I would get but i'm just a bolt gun kinda guy. If someone gave me a AR I would probably sell it for a bolt.

All of those calibers are good.

.223 if you don't reload. Prarie dog is high volume if you do alot of that its the cheapest to shoot.

.243 if you want the ability to hunt big game or want to shoot at longer ranges.

22-250 if you want more smack down power and range then .223 but never want to shoot big game.

.223 or smaller if you are all about saving furs.

Last edited:
Im a favorite of the bolt guns and 22-250. I use them for calling and p-dog hunting - but always have a 12guage and #4 buck when calling in the thick stuff.

Are you grouping coyotes into the varmint category? When I think varmints, I think prairie dogs, marmots, jack rabbits, the occasional crow etc..

I have several varmint rifles, none of which burns more than 18 grains of powder. 17AH, 17FB, 20VT and the 221FB. Great choices for volume shooting and easy on powder. If your calling coyotes then a person may want to step up to the 223 but several of the fireball offerings will easily kill a coyote too.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterAre you grouping coyotes into the varmint category? When I think varmints, I think prairie dogs, marmots, jack rabbits, the occasional crow etc..

I have several varmint rifles, none of which burns more than 18 grains of powder. 17AH, 17FB, 20VT and the 221FB. Great choices for volume shooting and easy on powder. If your calling coyotes then a person may want to step up to the 223 but several of the fireball offerings will easily kill a coyote too. Mostly woodchucks and coyote hunting. I been reading many like the AR's (they have come a long way in the recent years) for varmint hunting.

Gotta go with the .243 in bolt action, so many bullet choices, when you picl up a bolt action rifle it just feels solid and good like an old freind.

Out of the three of them the 243 easily has the most knockdown at distance. If your not planning on using it for big game hunting the 223 will be much cheaper on ammo. (if your not a reloader).

I Kinda like those rifles Furhunter talks about. My lil .22 K Hornet spits out bullets at a rapid rate with only 13 grns of powder. Now for predators I go up a little. Good luck with your choices.

Back