All around varmint caliber .223, .243, 22-250?

I would be happy with either a 6mm remington in a bolt rifle or 243 wssm in an ar platform. Basically it comes down to a 6mm bullet as opposed to a 224 bullet.

What would be coming in that would be that big while Varmint hunting? My Brothers Wife?
grin.gif

Around here if you blow an cow elk call you can get a face full of black bear or a long tailed cat. And it's nothing for them to respond to a rabbit call as well.

Three 44s

Originally Posted By: Three 44sAround here if you blow an cow elk call you can get a face full of black bear or a long tailed cat. And it's nothing for them to respond to a rabbit call as well.

Three 44s

LOL, or here a Grizzly Bear. Or a pack of wolves. Predator hunting in Montana is changing. I try to be careful of where and how I call during different times of the year. The last thing I want to see is a grizz. A pack of wolves....well,

Good Gawd you guys pack alot of fricking heat for g-damned woodchucks and coyotes. I didnt know they were now classified as dangerous game.

but what if you call in something bigger.....
Sure glad I havnt lived my life just in case, I would have missed alot of fun. Good luck watching your hits on those chucks with a 243.

If your in an area where a bear encounter is likely you should be equally prepared with a large sidearm and pepper spray. I hear the bears like the taste of it with human flesh.

.243 bolt action.

Quote:Good luck watching your hits on those chucks with a 243.

I can see hits with my varmint weight rigs (10-12lbs) in .243 and .243AI.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterGood Gawd you guys pack alot of fricking heat for g-damned woodchucks and coyotes. I didnt know they were now classified as dangerous game.

but what if you call in something bigger.....
Sure glad I havnt lived my life just in case, I would have missed alot of fun. Good luck watching your hits on those chucks with a 243.

If your in an area where a bear encounter is likely you should be equally prepared with a large sidearm and pepper spray. I hear the bears like the taste of it with human flesh.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha I agree

Originally Posted By: wdchuckhuntr.243 bolt action.

BS... You cant see your hits like you can with a 17 FB or a 20VT. Not even as good as a 223. Seeing your hits, watching the bullet strike is different than catching just a glimpse of it when the scope comes back down. I have a 6mm and have shot 243's for years and know better, I even loose sight picture in a 16lb 6BR bench gun.

But still just in case I may switch to 375 H&H mag, those chucks are tough.

Ill remember all the crap next time a 204/223/22-250 thread comes up. I guess none of them are enough gun anymore.

I have to admit, I can not see hits with even a light weight .223 on an every time basis. On heavier guns in .223, no problem.

Don't get me wrong, I also use and love my .243's and made made some spectacular long range hits. But it is not my primary PD or ground hog gun.
John

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: wdchuckhuntr.243 bolt action.

BS... You cant see your hits like you can with a 17 FB or a 20VT. Not even as good as a 223. Seeing your hits, watching the bullet strike is different than catching just a glimpse of it when the scope comes back down. I have a 6mm and have shot 243's for years and know better, I even loose sight picture in a 16lb 6BR bench gun.

But still just in case I may switch to 375 H&H mag, those chucks are tough.

Ill remember all the crap next time a 204/223/22-250 thread comes up. I guess none of them are enough gun anymore.

Thank you,

I'd call Pearl Vision today but it's Easter. I'll be sure to call them tomorrow though and schedule an eye appointment. Evidently what I thought I've been witnessing was a product of poor vision, my bad.

I'm sorry, I thought I was on a forum where experience and opinions were welcomed. I guess next time if my experience differs from someone elses I should probably jump their sh!t on this forum. It seems to be a trend lately.

22-250 is really hard to beat. I have been looking at an AR in .243, I wish they offered a 250 in an AR platforn and problem solved but....

I'm not disagreeing with you over the fact that it's easier to see hits with the smaller calibers. I've killed a bunch of woodchucks with my .223 and I love it. I have killed substaincially more with my .243s over the years and know that in whatever way shape or form I've seen a good bit of splatter. Too much to be called BS.

It's not your arguement I have a problem with, it's the presentation. Their's a lot of senseless bickering and name calling going on in here lately. Most of us are grown men and women and perhaps we should act like it and show a little more civility and manners.

If you read these or other forums for more than a year or two it becomes clear that most people have a tendency to recommend a chambering thats.... well putting it lightly, OVERKILL! Way more than whats needed to decently do an adequate job for the task at hand. Some use the excuse "just in case" or "someday you can deer hunt in another state" to justify their personal choice or recommendation. Personally I feel a calling rifle is different from a varmint rifle and both are far from a big game rifle. They are all tools for specific jobs.

There are people who need to choose a single rifle and dont have the means to own more than that. Fine go for it. For the most part nearly everyone will at some point have more than a single rifle. Several in fact, as a 243 doesnt make a good varmint rifle, recoil is too high and its a horrible choice for volume shooting. Likewise a 223 doesnt make a good deer rifle, not even legal in many states anyways.

Those starting out shouldnt need to buy more than what the task at hand requires. I feel advise to the contrary isnt all that good. This poster said woodchucks and coyotes, nothing was mentioned by him about deer or calling in dangerous game, everyone else embellished on that. I would still bet to this day more coyotes are killed by a 223 than anything else. Because of their wide use and popularity maybe everything else combined, who knows.

There is a whole world of shooting enjoyment out there that most will never see because of their tendency to over gun. Its really too bad too, their missing out... big time.

Civil enough?

Northkid,

I'm assuming your a kid, from your handle, and may not have a lot of money. Heck, I'm an old man and still don't have a lot of money.

So, I'd recommend a good bolt action 22-250 to start with. You can get a nice rifle, a scope, and some ammo to shoot out of it for the price of a nice AR15. You might even have some money left over for gas, in your vehicle.

I agree with pretty much everthing you've said. I tend to lean towards the .243 due to the fact I prefer more "red mist" out of my kills and I just don't get that with the smaller calibers, even the 22-250. The heavier caliber with the higher BC helps on longer shots as well.

Depends on what you are using it for? Just plinking, target or hunting situation. If plinking, target and varmint hunting a 223 would suite you fine. If you are strickly coyote hunting a 22-250 or 243win. Now if you intend use for deer hunting a 243win would suite you best. Far as action of firearm it depends on what you want. Just my two cents worth.

Back