Annual Groundhog tally for 2012

Thanks Tim. I'm going out at lunch today and investigate why my dope is running high at 500yds. Hope to shoot me a 5 shot at that distance to see how I group as well. Will be interesting. Might take a peek back into that field while I'm doing it and see if there are any more takers
wink.gif

3 more to the list but only two pictures. I'm not sure what happened on the 3rd picture? Great posts everyone and Happy Father's Day to all my itchy trigger finger brothers out there!

Eric

37 yards 223AI
IMG_1289.jpg

97 yards 223AI
IMG_1290.jpg

TOS prohibits my most recent a little bit ago. Was going into the field to shoot some paper and one popped up at 38yds. 87V-max was ugly to her and quite graphic. I was impressed I hit her using this Hubbel telescope that close. Ended up having a tractor working a field near my range direction, so I scrapped the range session. Dang Eric, beat you on that first long shot by 1yd
lol.gif
. How many cartwheels did that sucker do
ohmy.gif
?

Hahaha! Nice Corey. That one pic what just stoved into the ground about 3' back from point of impact. I normally don't like to shoot them that close but 3 popped up that close all at the same time. I couldn't help myself!
blushing.gif

Working alot of OT lately so not getting out much but went tonight saw 4 the first took me by surprise with the gun hanging on my shoulder and the next was just to far for the 22lr so I went and staked out a small bean field it only took about 2 minutes before one stuck his head up and gave me a shot, thats #10 with the rimfires the CZ 17M2 and 10/22 are tied 5 & 5 then missed a long off hand shot at another, all in all a decent hour groundhog hunting with one nice big hog

nice sized hog these Velocitors really do a job on them
2012-06-15_19-39-35_758.jpg

Started my morning with a few calling stands before checking the hay fields. Turned out to be a good move since nothing is cut still and the hay is near chest deep. Walked up on a coyote on the first stand in a blackberry patch with no shot, called a coyote on the first stand and missed him. Then called a bear cub on the second stand and had a hard time running him off
crazy.gif
. Finally got out to the car at the barn and see two chucks by the tractor. I switched the 17rem for the 17HMR and try to get position, but these barnyard chucks are too nervous for that and dive for the holes. I glassed another field for an hour while watching 3 chucks at their den less than 50yds away. Wrong side of the fence, no permission, so I have to watch them and stew about it
cursing.gif
. I do a quick walk with the 17HMR and spot a skunk. I try to get a shot, but he hits a rockpile and hides. I setup about 25yds from the rocks and wait. After glassing a nearby brushpile, I put the binos down and see Pepe charging me at less than 20yds with a hostile intent. It was a young skunk with a ragged appearance and a funny walk. I put the crosshairs on his nose and pull the trigger...click. I jumped, screamed some profanity and retreated while bolting a round. I shot him while running backwards and ended the dance. Finally I pack up and go back to the barn to get the drop on the other two. I park short and sneak in and chuck is sitting in front of a hay wagon tire. He busted me trying to get position. I check one last pasture that the cattle have beat down with some exposed rocks and brush piles. I spot a chuck on a fallen down log home. I setup with the 17rem on the sticks and took him through the shoulders at about 30yds shooting through the tall grass between thistles. Caliber sized entrance with no exit and he rolled around like jello and this was a young chuck. I'm amazed by this 17rem shooting the 25gr. Berger Target bullets. I never would've believed I would get no exits or hide damage with shots this close. I can't wait till fox season
wink.gif
. Afterwards I enjoyed a gourmet Tuna dinner and headed home.
Victim:
6-16-12.jpg

Log house remains, he was sunning on the highest point left center:
6-16-12loghouse.jpg

Gourmet dinner:
tunalunch.jpg

Nice story and that chuck has about the longest tail I ever saw on a groundhog.
I was out the other day after work and saw a hog dive into a culvert so I went to see if I could spot him, I looked in the culvert and all I saw was a skunk I was doing some back peddling down the ditch fast as I could while trying to shove a magazine in my 10/22 and keep my eyes on the skunk that was heading out of the culvert in my direction.
I had thought of just poking my head down that culvert and wacking the hog with my MKIII, I am so glad I changed my mind about that plan.

What an outdoor adventure, Corey! Lions, tigers and bears, oh my. Did that skunk release after you shot it? I had an afternoon/evening similar to you...

I picked up a buddy at 3:30 and headed to the fields. At our first field I peeked over a spur and saw a coyote approaching the same grove of trees I was going to glass for a groundhog!!!
cursing.gif
I needed to crawl to a decent shooting location but eventually had a perfect, clear 150 yard shot. Mr. Coyote turned broadside, I put the crosshairs right behind his shoulder and touched off the shot. It was a clean miss and the coyote hit high gear and was gone. Instantly I knew I had left 500+ yards of drop dialed into my scope from my previous outing and the shot went way high at 150.
blush.gif
Crap!

There was no further activity in this area so we moved to our primary objective - an alfalfa field where we can observe 1200 yards of brushy creek-edge. I've taken several in this area recently and missed a few as well so knew there would be opportunities. One situation was particularly enticing - a round haybale where a large sow likes to perch to survey her crops. And sure enough she came out and climbed up there soon after we arrived!
w00t.gif
My buddy had previously shot my 17FB and was loving it as he contemplates his own rifle purchase, so today I brought the heavier 243 so he could experience something different. We had to set him up in the bed of my truck to get a straight shot at this groundhog..we ranged it at 284...a little dope dialed in...BOOM! my buddy sends the 75 grain Vmax downrange. I'm watching with my binos and see a tremendous impact as both the groundhog and shreds of hay explode into the air. It looked like a good hit but I'm wondering if perhaps it went low into the bale and caused all that hay to fly about? We go find out and sure enough he nailed the 'hog and sent that sucker flying backwards into the undergrowth. It was a heck of a shot as the groundhog was laying flat and only presented about a 3" profile. We surmised the hay we saw came from his claws clutching the bale..?

P1000689.jpg

We spent the next hour playing cat-n-mouse with a 'hog out around 575 yards. I sent several shots his way but none connected and we couldn't tell what adjustments were needed. A little later I played the same game with one around 450, sent several his way but no hits. Probably not doping right for the wind.

We ended the evening watching another area, getting a hit on this hog at 180 with the Browning 22 Hornet, then missing another at 480 with the 243 again. Maybe time for a barrel cleaning and zero check at the rifle range.

P1000691.jpg

Nice very nice while i didnt set the world on fire . I did manage to get four nothing fancy 2 red mist 2 wanted to die stood up for at least 5 minutes for me to get my gear out .Did scout some open fields by the house looks like a few groundhogs there havent hunted it in 2 years . I'll be making the transaction from crop hunting to pasture type hunting in a week or so pushing low to mid 40's for the year .

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesUgly SOB. Do chucks get mange?
smile.gif

I don't think they get true mange, but many look like something is causing hair loss. This one has a normal belly - they don't have full hair on the belly.

doggin coyotes, I see some that get some type of mange or dermatitis. They are scabbed and have sores and splotchy hair. I try not to handle them if they look iffy. I use my Stony Point shooting sticks like a big set of chopsticks and move them that way. Most of the older chucks are pretty dry and gnarly and have cropped tails while the pups are dark and cleaner looking and have longer tails. Most of them have thin hair on the underside from scooting in and out of the dens on their belly.

Rich, that type in your face skunk action has happened to me too many times. One of these days I'm gonna get it I'm sure. I think I've taken about 15 in the last 2-3 years between hunting and trapping. I wish I'd had my Ruger, things probably would've ended sooner as my MKII only gets unloaded for cleaning where the rifles get unloaded everytime they get to the car. I had just left the vehicle and forgot to chamber a round in the HMR.

wahoowad, you are inching out there toward that 500yds mark. Keep taking shots like that and you have one. Your buddy is likely to be broke soon if you keep letting him shoot hogs with your toys.

I'm just asking these scares that I'm seeing I'm wondering if they are battle wounds possible for area ?? I do know they will fight for the area . Possible scares from other Predators fox coycote etc. I shot a red fox years ago over on some property i owned on the James River I was cutting grass or bushhogging and this Red Fox was following in broad daylight talking about be nervious . Will i got away when up to the house and got the 22/250 . I called animal control in Goochland county asked if they would send someone out . I went back to the field and the fox was laying there .I shot it .the game control came picked it up and asked if any animals had been bitten or people .I said i have no idea .I asked what are you going to do she said nothing this animal looked bad all over very little hair anywhere I had nightmare for weeks from the picture i saw in the scope. I'm just wondering if these hogs with the heads like this arent male groundhogs or if they are battle wounds from living in there enviroment ? Wish i knew .

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotes

"Ugly SOB. Do chucks get mange?
smile.gif
"

Ooooh yeaaaaah... and they can get it badd. Then you don't want them for pictures.
frown.gif

Jim, I've shot some with a stump for a front leg or mangles limbs and some that were missing ears or blind in one eye or had their tail chewed off. They get aggressive and those cutters can certainly do some damage. The ones I don't like handling are the older ones that when you grab the tail, it breaks off. Or the ones that have 4 different lengths of hairs and exposed scabs that are oozing. Mange is a mite (scabes) and is transferrable as far as I know and I don't take chances on something like a predator or groundhog. The last coyote I killed had open sores and scabs on his ribs and hips. I never laid a hand on him. Used a stick to drag him to position for a photo and left him lay afterwards. I trapped a red fox this year that froze to death in my trap. He had almost no hair and had open sores. I wouldn't even touch the trap, I used a stick to open the jaws and carried it by the chain until I boiled it. Mange and dermatitis are nasty and slow killers that I want no part of.

What i'm seeing is the scares on the heads and the rest of the fur looks fine .I agree 100 % not to touch .I remember the game control person telling me this animal has either distempter or was rabied 1 of the 2 now it was almost bald over its whole body thats why i questioned when i see these groundhogs with just scares on their heads no scabs if not battle wounds when the rest of the fur looks normal ??? I also remember the game official telling me that rabies was wide spread in VA at that time . I was told its a lot more rabied animals than lead to believe. Now this was about 15 years ago around the State Farm in Goochland .Crozier Area

Back