Colorado Wildlife Commission to ban Varmint hunting

Quote:
I think the issue that should be stressed the most is the fact that ranchers will curb poisoning if there are shooters actively shooting the town. I have heard this from more than 1 rancher. Truth is i believe they really don't want to poison, they just need to once the towns get too big.

If we bring up the point that this is really the perfect management tool in the above respect then maybe that will have an impact.

Exactly what I put in one of my email responses regarding the draft letter to the commissioners. I've yet to meet a rancher that wanted all his pdogs dead. They're usually happy if you can "contain" a town.

OTOH, I've had 3 large towns poisoned on me, simply because I couldn't shoot enough fast enough to keep it from spreading. There are zero dogs left in those three towns.

Mike

That the same thing I have found. This year the rancher want us to start sooner this year and come out more times. I have been to a ranch that wanted people to come and shoot, but no one did so they posioned now there in no PDs anymore. I was still was living in western CO at the time.

The draft letter to the Commissioners needs to be short and sweet. Just enough to let them know which side of the fence you're on. Lots of those letters in their email will let them know that there are a lot more of us opposing this than just those appearing before them at the hearing. I'm still working on the draft. Trying to scrub the emotion out of it.

We get one shot at talking directly to the Commission. That is where we will present the majority of the good points you folks have brought up. But even all the facts and data we are accumulating will have to be pared down to just three minutes speaking time. We may have to consider selecting two speakers in order to present our case.

I am in the process of compiling the text of what our speaker(s) will say to the Commission. We will review this in a coming Newsletter.

Did the forest guardians get only 3 minutes? to propose that bag of crap they gave them?

That petition was found in the Grand Junction area, not FT. Collins.

Forest Guardians, based in Santa Fe, has an interesting website. If you have not been there I would suggest a visit.

http://www.fguardians.org/guardians/about.asp

What I found quite amazing is the size of their staff. Look at it as well when you are visiting.

I was able to find a record of political contributions for their Executive Director, John Horning:

http://www.newsmeat.com/fec/bystate_detail.php?zip=87501&last=Horning&first=John

As a favor to all of us, I am asking that we, collectively, be very careful what we post on this forum, until such time as a resolution is reached. I am confident we are being watched. Use NASA's newsletter to vent, blow-off or otherwise express your inner feelings.

THX! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
That petition was found in the Grand Junction area, not FT. Collins.

Thanks for pointing that out Furhunter. I can't find anyone living in that area willing to check out that Craig address, so I guess I'll make the drive this weekend.

Quote:
"... What I found quite amazing is the size of their staff. Look at it as well when you are visiting.
THX! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

It has been my experence, that many of these groups are money machines for the "true believers", and they stretch the truth to get the followers upset and dig into their wallets.

they show inflammatory pictures and videos to the followers, and the checks roll in... "Those poor widdle aminals"... Kerchung!

I get e-mails from Sarah Brady's group, and a month ago they were campaigning against the right to carry concealed in national parks.

One of their "talking points" was we needed to ban concealed carry in national parks to stop "poaching" (Duh)...

(... I always poach elk with my 2.5" barreled 45 Colts Office's pistol. (Double Duh!!)

But Sarah got hundreds of thousands of $$$$$ in checks from animal lovers that also hate guns

These people may be crazy, but they are also crazy about what they do - they get money for it, and the more successful they are, the more money they get (money is a marvelous incentive) - and they have the time to do it (while we are at work and raising out kidlets).

NEVER, EVER, underestimate these people, or you will loose.

OK, the form letter to the Commissioners has been sent out to everyone on the "team".
(If you're not on the team, why not? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

I forgot to mention, on the “subject” line of your email, put “Petition to Ban Prairie Dog Hunting”.

Also, you may have to drag the margins in a bit to center the message. Print one out and you'll see what I mean.

Now, let's choke their email with letters! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I already sent mine.

Since I had a head start, mine are on the way!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Mine's off also, sept I used a different subject line, which isnt bad because they will open it to see the same thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I got the feeling there is going to be a bunch of people put on spam lists over this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One more thing that would help is some photos of PD's. NOT dead PD's, but live PD's. Ideally I'd love to see photos of once lush alfalfa fields now destroyed by rats. Or once nice pasture land, etc.

PM me if you can help. THX!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Sorry NASA, a photo of a Boulder city park does NOT count!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now to get busy composing the signature petition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif This is a lot of work, and we're just getting started.

Anybody else want to join us in Grand Junction? Not to bribe you, but free beer and BBQ on May 1st. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Best of luck of guys. I hope things go well for you. I would hate to have you all heading to South Dakota to get your fix. Seriously remember that the squeaky well gets the oil. The SD gfp commission just rejected the idea of extending the Pheasant season even though all the science agreed with doing it. The reason, a few land owners and sportsmans clubs (code name for "pay to hunt our preserve clubs") raised a fuss about it. They were the vocal ones and they got their way. Hang in there and be the vocal ones.

Hey Colorado guys, "keep those cards and letters coming".

If you haven't already done so, get off your duff and get those letters out to the Commissioners.

We are all depending on you!

This battle takes a whole company not just a platoon!

Get your non-PM buddies involved. Earlier this evening I sent emails to four buddies that are not PM members soliciting their help.

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their fellow hunters".

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Dun it.....plus forwarded it to 6 more folks, and will send it to some more tomorrow.....I'm "making a list"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mike

I just got off the phone with Tom Bodett, hes going to leave the light on for ya!

Motel 6 is a 5 minute walk to the meeting # 243-2628

Super 8 # 248-8080
La Quinta # 241-2929
Quality Inn # 245-7200

Now if those are too much money, we got a few places on North Ave, old motels where ya gotta knock the [beeep] roaches off the pillows. Ever lay in bed listening to them try to get out of a bath tub?, please dont ask!

All of these are on Horizon Dr, where the meeting is taking place.

Last edited:
Quote:
I hope things go well for you.

You can do more than just wish us well. You can join the fight! This is not just about Colorado. We already have about 20 non-resident hunters submitting the form letter. But this is not enough! We need more. PM me or Claimbuster for a copy. Then pass it around to all your friends and ask them to email it to the Commissioners, too. Help Save Our Sport.

Back