Experiences with accurate AR barrels

Buster Hindend

A local range will be having some DMR matches in 2017 and I'd like to build an AR for this purpose.

The class I would like to shoot is .223 and shots range from 200-600 give or take. I have done some research on some barrels, but I'm open to other opinions of highly accurate AR barrels for my research. My only criteria is accuracy, not worried about contour or prices at this time.

Any brands that have shown true accuracy for you?

Thanks in advance

In my experience with AR's, I've owned or shot barrels from RRA, Bushmaster, S&W, Colt, Noveske, Daniel Defense, Rainier Arms, Bison Armory, and Black Hole Weaponry. The BHW is by far the most accurate in my experience group with the Bison and Noveske being next.

I also had a Shilen that shot lights out with 75gr Amax. But way pricey. Surplus Ammo had BHW barrels very reasonable and my buddy picked up a 6.8 BHW from themy for $200 a few weeks back

I run BHW bbls on all my ar15 builds (9) as well as my bolt action builds (11).
The ar15 builds w/bhw have been very accurate, no issues to 700 yards at the range, 20-22" bbls.
I have 2 Mossberg MMR Ar15s that shoot as accurate w/20" bbls both stock factory rigs.

I have 3 BHW AR builds and 2 Savage builds. Have had very good results with all of them. The machine work is very good and they are all more accurate than I am.

Last edited:
Not sure what length you want but the 18" Douglas SPR barrels have a reputation for great accuracy. I haven't put any rounds through mine yet as I'm still gathering parts for the build.

Originally Posted By: 10ring1White Oak Armament. Btw, what wt bullet u plan on shooting?

I'd like to shoot either the 69 or 77 TMK most likely the 69

I currently a Compass lake Douglas SPR (223 CLP chamber) and a BHW (6-6.8) and both are right at .5 or less out to 400. I also have a brand new X Caliber that I haven't shot but the machine work looks real nice.

I picked up a "16 La Rue Stealth barrel last summer and I'm really impressed with it. It was very easy to find a load that it likes (60 gr Vmax) and the accuracy has been incredible. I liked it so much I just bought another La Rue in the light weight PredatAR version.

Ive been shooting ARP barrels for a little while and love them. They are priced really good so i dont mind beating on them pretty hard.

Im working on a 600 yard FClass load in my 20" 8 twist right now. 73 grain ELDM and 77 Grain TMK are my top 2 choices so far. Just need to fine tune them some more and give them a go.

http://ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/38007/12239

I also have a few of his 6.8 SPC barrels and a few 223 barrels. No complaints out of any of them.

At 600 yards the 69 gives up some poof. Think the 75 HPBT if shooting from a mag or 75 A Max if single loading. I once had a gunsmith tell me that if your AR can't shoot 75gr HPBT by Hornady, it won't shoot anything well. I have found that to be almost true.

Brad, I am a firm believer in Black Hole Weaponry barrels. Accurate, typically faster than 'typical' and they clean very easy. I will be using them some more on future builds.

Back