Finally finished the 243

Just got back from the range. All I can say is wow. This rifle feels great and shoots pretty decent too
thumbup.gif
. I'm loving this scope and the rifle feels great with almost no jump when I load up the bipod. I did several 3 shot load development groups with the 87 Berger VLD's and IMR 4064 with Lapua Brass and CCI 250 primers. These are all at 100yds from prone with bipod front and bag under rear. Winds were left to right 8-10mph and 50°. No signs of pressure at 37.5gr, I may run another 1.5gr. and watch it. Some of the groups I blew by punching the trigger, but otherwise very nice considering this is the first bullet powder combo I've tried. The setup.
PICT0324.JPG

Loads 2 & 3 after initial sight in using cheaper Noslers. Sorry for blurry pics. These are rounds 7-9 on the new barrel.
loads%202and3%201-29-12a.jpg

Loads 4&5.
loads%204and5%201-29-12a.jpg

Loads 6&7.
loads%206and7%201-29-12a.jpg

Loads 8&9.
loads%208and9%201-29-12a.jpg

I honestly don't think the rifle would've shot more than .75" if I'd done my part. I still have seating depth, powder charge, and powder type to play with. I'm very pleased with my investment. I can't wait for a nice day to shoot again without wind and maybe borrow a chrono to see where I'm at. I think this can be a .2's gun easily as this only takes me to 30rnds down the barrel. Thanks for watching guys.

That is awesome Corey, looks like a sweet rig. I am sure you will be breakin her in proper on the hogs soon. Do you have a link for that eagle pack. I like it.

Semi, my time behind the PST is limited, but it is far better than the Burris Signature I was running on it. I love this reticle and so far the clicks were dead on at 100yds. I reset the knobs last night, but got too busy to see how much elevation MOA I have left in the scope. I also need to contact Vortex about additional shims for the zero stop, I used them all up and came up short. Clarity was very good and eye relief wasn't a problem for me. I have no experience with the Sightron scopes, so can't offer a comparison.

Thanks Tim. I can't wait for good weather and some good field data. I also want to do some shooting at 300yds+ to see how these Bergers do once I settle on a load. It's good to know this has not been a waste of time and money. The out of the box rifle was printing 5" groups on occasion with handloads at this distance. I'll take 1/2" any day over that
crazy.gif

I was wondering the same thing where the groups lets see some 5 shot groups on out there nice looking gun . Remember lifes to short to tote an ugly gun .

Last edited:
Not exactly on paper, but you can get the just of it. Distance is 485yds. The steel is closer to 500yds and the group is about fist sized just monkeying around. This rifle is just hateful. I need to put 5 on paper at 500yds, just need to catch good weather and get a place to do it. I went with IMR 4064 and 87gr. V-maxes for cost and performance. So far, no regrets.

Thanks guys. Tim, I use to love my 70NBT's, but I think the 87 V-max has replaced them for good on chucks. The stability at longer distance and the pop you get when they arrive is phenominal. If I was shooting something with fur that I wanted to keep, I'd reconsider the 70NBT's. I'm loving this rifle. Cold bore it is right where it needs to be. My dope seems good on it right now. So far it has been, range, dial, shoot, hit. Only misses so far are from my lack of long range experience shooting inclines. I put a new rail mounted bubble level on it last week on a recommendation from Catshooter. So far it is working out well. I hope to stretch it out again soon. This is stuff is addictive when it works well
thumbup.gif

Mr.Cory
Dude stop poor mouthing your rifle. That is a stick anyone should be proud to own. Afterall you dont need all the latest greatest stuff to build an accurate rifle.
I think you did an excellent job and paying attention to your wifes feelings will pay much better in the end than a more expensive scope.
Good job

Originally Posted By: WareagleMr.Cory
Dude stop poor mouthing your rifle. That is a stick anyone should be proud to own. Afterall you dont need all the latest greatest stuff to build an accurate rifle.
I think you did an excellent job and paying attention to your wifes feelings will pay much better in the end than a more expensive scope.
Good job

Gotta second this one... Good optics on a quality rifle in the hands of a skilled marksman is what matters, not the pricetag of all of the bells and whistles. My wife and I spend a lot of time sending lead way downtown while laying on custom rigs that cost more than I'd ever want to admit out loud, but I take great pride in what I'm able to do with bone stock factory rifles as well. Connecting at 400yrds with a $6000 rig shouldn't surprise anyone, but being able to connect at 400+ with a factory rig, that's saying something.

Great looking (and shooting!) rifle, and fantastic story behind the development. It's always fun getting to see one of your babies grow up!

I guess my posts weren't worded all that well
blush.gif
. I absolutely love this rifle and don't mean it to sound like bad mouthing it
tt1.gif
. I guess the point I was trying to get across was that you can build a nice rifle without all the big names. I named off some of the "dream" parts that I had in my head when I started. After shopping around, I bought the necessity parts due within my budget and still got an awesome rifle. Lessons learned, the biggest names aren't always necessary for good function
wink.gif
. Like tt35 said, so much of what we put into our rifles is for us and not the target. I don't see where cutting costs where I have has hurt me in accuracy so far. I use to get discouraged seeing all the high $$$ customs out there thinking I would never be able to have one. That is simply not the case. Hopefully I'll have a pile of these to show this summer for my efforts as I have only had 1 miss since I started using it so far.
PICT0001.JPG

Man O Man... that makes me want to follow your plan as well.... Beautiful Rifle...

entertaining video as well... too bad there wasn't a camera near the targets...

groundhogs have no chance now... too bad for them...

Back