Finally finished the 243

I think you ought to sell me your rifle and go build another!
laugh.gif
Beautiful rifle!

Thanks guys. I can see where this rifle building can be addictive. It is like having an idea, drawing a blue print in your mind, buying parts, put it together and see if it works. Having it shoot so well and being done is almost anti-climactic, yet rewarding. I'm quite proud that I haven't had to change much once I decided on it. I think having a working rifle and replacing a piece at a time as it bugs you is key to that. This has been more of an evolution than build in my opinion. With the extra meat I had left on the chamber end, this should last me a good while. After another cut and chamber once I toast it, It'll still be at a standard Varmint contour and length at 26". I might be able to do it twice before needing another new barrel
wink.gif

Eric, not sure I could part with this one. I've watched her grow up for too long now
wub.gif

Cory, Rome wasnt built in a day .Is the saying I have always said. Take your time with your build it looks nice . Go do some door knocking over in the valley i'm sure you will find some places to hunt .I need to start looking for pasture land . I'm a big 6 mm fan here my first true groundhog gun was a 243 Sako it was a very nice gun what twist are you shooting with the gun? Do you know freebore size?

Jim

Thanks Jim, I believe she is complete now, I just don't see anything I want to change right now. I took a chuck with it this week at 502yds on the second shot. My dope is a little off to the high side by about .25MOA, I think it's the temps. Going to re-verify 100yd zero and 500yd dope today and hope they have cut hay for tomorrows hunt. I went with a 1-9" twist to shoot bullets between 70 and 95gr with emphasis on the 87's. I got the 87 Berger VLD's to shoot good, but like the pop I get from the 87 V-max and they are soooo much cheaper than the Berger with almost identical accuracy. Not sure on the freebore. Bartlein did the smith work and made the barrel. They only offered a standard 243Win chamber in their shop and I was cool with that. I wasn't looking to get into neck turning or any fancy fireforming when I had it re-barreled. I also didn't have it throated specific to anything. I may change my mind the next time around after this one is toast. I have plenty of metal to work with on this pig of a rifle if I want to set it back. The though of running this as a switch barrel keeps popping into my head, but my funds keep dragging it back out
sneaky2.gif

That is one sweet rifle. I hope it shoots as well as it looks.

I just picked up my custom .243 last Wednesday.
thumbup.gif

DAB

Back