Glass quality

Originally Posted By: CZ527 They also have the illuminated models for about $1300. That’s the same one I paid $2200 for a while back.

the story of my life right there.

Vx3 and bushy 4200 are more than enough to easily shoot past legal hunting hrs. Not sure how much you gain by spending more, but when scopes have a lifetime no receipts warranty I feel something used is a solid bet.I got a 4200 NIB never mounted for 200 bucks. That was like a 500 dollar scope. You could probably find one of the higher end scopes for 500. Anyone paying 1,000 + for a scope is obviously fickle, and likely they will just sell one off for the smallest of reasons.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660Vx3 and bushy 4200 are more than enough to easily shoot past legal hunting hrs. Not sure how much you gain by spending more, but when scopes have a lifetime no receipts warranty I feel something used is a solid bet.I got a 4200 NIB never mounted for 200 bucks. That was like a 500 dollar scope. You could probably find one of the higher end scopes for 500. Anyone paying 1,000 + for a scope is obviously fickle, and likely they will just sell one off for the smallest of reasons.

Or obviously whooping a lot of [beeep] at contests because they’ve bought a lot of good equipment and worked hard at learning to kill coyotes... one of the two...

It’s been several years ago at this point since I was hunting some country in the trans pecos region in West Texas- 60,000 acres with only two gates- when I got my first lesson in the kind of scopes us obviously fickle folks own. We pulled in the gate, sat up on the first of about 30 stands that night,and immediately got eyes about 250 yards away. No more had I seen those eyes than a shot rang out- bang pop..

I told my friend that wasn’t cool, no telling what it was. I just knew we were about to pay for a cow...

He looked at me and laughed. He said that was a coyote, and he could see the head and both front legs when he shot.
Next stand, I got on his gun and it was like seeing for the first time. Great detail, sharper images and tremendously easier identification. I bought my first Zeiss the following week.

All that being said, you get what you pay for. Entry models are just that.

Some scopes work for you, some don't. When the March scopes hit the market, all the talk was how well they hold point of aim. So I bought one. It did not work with my eyes, no matter how I adjusted it, it strained my eyes. The one maker that has always been crystal clear to me is Nightforce. If you can, give them a test drive first, ask someone at the range to look through theirs.

I have a friend (westex91) that swears by those Nightforces. Me, I’m not such a fan. I’ve got one NXS. It’s tough as nails, but pretty poor in the glass department to my eyes. It does however have a very clear and crisp reticle.

I really think, now, my scope selection Maker/Model criteria is based on clarity and tune ability to my aged eyes. I think back 50 or more years ago when we were all much younger (and yes, the scopes were much different) we tended to make them work and could with young eyes. Not so much when the age thing creeps up on you.

The first thing I go for in glass quality is clarity in normal shooting situations and then how they look at the outside of normal shooting situations (dawn and dusk). The new larger objectives and tubes have helped but for some of us those scopes can be harder to get to suit our eyes.

Bottom line, I think, is for a buyer to get hands on a selection and take it outside the store and have a look around. I know that can be a problem related to the store, its inventory and where ya live.

Some of the scope sales mentioned above are on last years models of high end stuff... Zeiss, Lica etc. and as such are amazing deals. Now would be the time to jump on one if ya want one. I dont think scopes are like cars..... no need to trade off every two years or so. They last a lot longer than that especially if ya take care of them.

Although, as I have said before, I have always been a Leupold guy, I am going back for another Zeiss "Original Conquest" 6.5-20x50 with exposed turrets and duplex cross hair for the Ruger #1 22 PPC I have coming. I am now in love with them.

Just some thoughts.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootI will not buy optics with a 5 year warranty, must be lifetime.

I was wondering who has a 5 year warranty?

Tripod, several of the german scopes are five year warranties.

I didnt start this to be a scope snob or anything. Just getting and giving real world experience. My 300 wears a burris full field2 3x9x40. A decent and durable scope and holds zero on hot 180grn loads. The problem came up the other morning on a deer stand. I work too much so hunting is limited. 3 does came out about 125 yards down my lane. The grass is boot top to knee high. It was early but I could see the deer fine with naked eyes. But with the light fog I could not see those deer well enough to shoot.

The next morning I went back to the same stand with my 280ai that has the zeiss. I killed a big coyote in the same spot, in the same or worse fog as the previous orning with no problem. That is why I am changing scopes on some of my rifles.

Last edited:
I didn't know that, glad the HD5 is a limited lifetime transferable.
I don't see any snobbing.
What is very nice is the view through a Zeiss for a very good price currently.
My Zeiss currently costs about a 100+ bucks more than the Leupold on my .300.
I have been using the Zeiss throughout the year, early and late. Come deer season and pulling up the Leupold VX3 was a dark shock.
It's all about seeing and then about the great price these are available for. Secondly I have found the RZ reticles with the online program usable enough to hit a 12" 600 yds target by shooting out the window.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksTripod, several of the german scopes are five year warranties.

Schmidt Benders have two years.

All this talk about guarantees reminds me of Tommy Boy.

Why do they put a guarantee on the box?

“Because they know all the sold ya was a guaranteed piece of [beeep].”

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: sandy hicksTripod, several of the german scopes are five year warranties.

I wish we had a like button. Is that true or just joking?

Either way, I bet they have .5% return rate so it doesnt matter huh?

Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: sandy hicksTripod, several of the german scopes are five year warranties.

I wish we had a like button. Is that true or just joking?

Either way, I bet they have .5% return rate so it doesn’t matter huh?

Sad, but true!
Mine haven’t needed to go back yet. Hope they never do!!

http://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/service/warranty.html

“Within 2 years from the date of the purchase we grant a warranty with respect to the applicable statutory warranty claims of the buyer.”

I just picked up a Swarovski z5 3.5-18x44 for under $1000 this fall. It beats my VX5 and 6 hands down on early and late hunting.The clarity is incredible.

^^^ That was a deal. I think that some companies will give a lifetime warranty strictly on the law of averages. That is average joe doesnt shoot enough to break a scope. So the give a no fault warranty and joe is tickled pink. After all, you can run over it and still get a new one. So he says sign me up for some of those. As long as it holds zero throuhh the season he is ok. His rifle is shot maybe 10 times per year. How many of us know the guy who has 1 box of shells with 4 brands and three different bullet weights and he is ready for deer season?

Until just the other day, I was perfectly happy with a reliable scope. That was all that I needed. I can see well enough to shoot before legal light and after legal light on clear days with every scope that I own. But when I cant shoot a deer that I want to during legal light it is time for a change. I am going to make that change on the rifles that I hunt with warranty or not. If a product is well made it shouldnt need a warranty except for the rare defect in materials or workmanship. I dont want a replacement plan. I want it right the first time.

Example: I have never seen a high end rifle make any claim to a warranty in their add. A friend of mine sells boats for a living. Brand P has a five year hull warranty and sells for 8k more than brand B that has a lifetime warranty. He says that he can sell brand P without a warranty easier than brand B. If you dont need it you wont miss it.

I don't know what Trijicon's warranty is, never needed it. (KNOCKING ON WOOD)

I have been a warranty customer of Leupold, Nikon, and Steiner.

Minox scopes aren't bad. I know several American guys whjo bought them when I was in Germany. However I never saw a German with one on his rifle. Most Germans will only use swaro,Zeiss, Schmids or the occasional Leopold.

Last edited:
Back