input on dead coyote chokes, what say you ??

Originally Posted By: swampwalker... 70 yds ! man you guys are killing me

Not me brother, I have never seen one of those 70 - 100 yard shotguns I keep hearing about. Thus my question about what sort of pattern and load/choke combination. That is something special.

I called Indian Creek the other day and asked them what choke they had that I could get reasonable patterens at 70 yds (after swampwalker and I had a very large yote say some dirty words to us from about 80 or so yards out and wouldn't come any closer). They said they didn't have one but the one I was looking for was the new MADD calls "dog pounder". They make it for them but don't sell it. They said that madds testers were getting 100% patterns in a 30" circle at 80 yards with it useing the new dead coyote #4buck. So I'm going to give it a wirle and see how it does.

At those distances you guys are better off with rifles.
smirk.gif

I consistently put 5-10 pellets into a 10 inch circle at 70 yards. That is pretty good unlike the cost which is terrible lol. I put pellets in a 20 inch circle at 100 yards but nothing consistent. But something I am impressed by is that at 100 yards, it still has enough energy to pass straight through a new 3/4 inch sheet of chipboard. That is impressive as T shot isn't very big. I wish I could find it loose so I could reload it though. I have looked all over and can't find it

They are as good as it gets for a cheap choke. However, you wont see anything but Kicks or Patternmaster in my gun. I also have heard the Primos Dead Dog choke for the price is better then the Carlson DC choke.

Originally Posted By: dwilsonI consistently put 5-10 pellets into a 10 inch circle at 70 yards. That is pretty good unlike the cost which is terrible lol. I put pellets in a 20 inch circle at 100 yards but nothing consistent. But something I am impressed by is that at 100 yards, it still has enough energy to pass straight through a new 3/4 inch sheet of chipboard. That is impressive as T shot isn't very big. I wish I could find it loose so I could reload it though. I have looked all over and can't find it

Hummm... We certainly have different experiences regarding this. You better hang on to that rig and stock up on that lot number of shells. You have a gem!

I have patterned many shotguns in both 10 and 12 gauge. I spent a lot of money on various choke tubes and shotgun fodder. The absolute worst patterns came from a Carlson "Dead Coyote" tube. Second worst came from a Pattern Master tube. The Pattern Master shot about same pattern as a factory "modified" tube. I sent that tube back for a refund. I never bothered to send the Dead Coyote tube back. I may have thrown that thing in the trash. I see a lot of 70-100 yard coyote killing pattern claims, but I pass em off as "wishful thinking". I know that I will catch some flack over this post, but I am too old to read so much far fetched story telling and not call B.S. I never will figure out why people have such a hard time just speaking the honest truth.

Someone educate me. Whats the difference between a turkey choke and a coyote choke. Are they both just not Extra Full chokes??? Would it hurt to shot hevishot Size T thru a standard turkey choke?

KYR15,

The "Turkey" choke is usually an extended length tube marked X-full or XX-full. Most choke makers advise against shooting steel shot through them, and also advise against shooting even large lead shot through them. Hevi-shot being made from a tungsten mixture, is very hard, so most choke makers advise against shooting the Hevi-shot through their tubes that are tighter than "modified". I shoot Hevi-shot "T's" through a Kicks .680 tube that is actually only meant for lead shot, and have had no problems. I also shoot lead #4 BUCK through that tube with good results. I know that I am taking the chance of breaking the choke tube, but I am willing to take the chance. My advice is that if you want to shoot hevi-shot, or lead #4 BUCK, look for choke tubes designed for hevi-shot. I hope this helps you.

Swamp,
Environ-Metal, Inc. manufactures Hevi Shot which is tungsten based shot mixture of various densities. Under the Hevi Shot banner they offer a wide variety of waterfowl, turkey, and the predator load you know as “Dead Coyote.” Hevi Shot just announced the introduction of a new 00 Buck and No. Four Buck load. I have some of the 00 Buck stuff to test for duty use, though I think it will be loaded too hot. The 00 Buck probably has real application for defense against large predatory animals and hunting big game where a buckshot load is applicable. The No. Four Buck load might be a real coyote killer. I have used the Hevi 13 turkey load now for a couple of years and it smacks gobblers hard and out patterns anything else I have tried. There is a new higher velocity turkey load available this year with a mix of #5, #6, and #7 H13 pellets that should prove pure poison to gobblers. The biggest problem with Environ-Metal is that they can develop a super load, then they have the uncanny knack for screwing it up by changing components in mid-production, thus fouling up the patterns and pattern work the users have put into the load at home. That is very frustrating, but after years of receiving complaints maybe they will stop that nonsense. Remington, Winchester, and Federal also have great loads in this same “denser than lead” arena that perform very well. I really have great luck with the Remington Wingmaster HD-BB load on coyotes.

Here in Ky. buckshot of any size is illegal to use for coyotes. So would you recommend Hevi-shot T's thru a modified choke or would you prefer just some #3's or #4's thru a turkey choke??

Swampwalker,

Yes, I could kill a coyote now and then out to 70 yards, but it is best to not over state the ability of a shotgun. I post what I believe is maximum "sure kill" range of a particular choke/load combination in my shotgun. Coyotes are tough and sometimes really dim witted. I have seen coyotes run a mighty long ways before they realized that they were dead. Dim wit's.
grin.gif

WOW, I'm suprised this thread is still go'n, I havent tried any of the coytote chokes but it's hard for me to think a shotgun can hold a pattern out to 70+ yards, but some of the "heavier than lead" shot thats on the market these days it's entirly possible.

Depending on the post here as to what I wind up try'n, but thers more and more company's startin to manufacture these type of chokes, I guess the popularity of predator huntin is probably the reason ther jumpin on the band wagon, but it just gives us more to choose from and the compatition is a good thang, keeps these companys improvin ther products.

Originally Posted By: J_Schroederi have 2 one for a Mossberg 835 and one for my Remington both work great with large shot. Well worth the $35 or so. I feel very conformable at 50 and closer. jeff

J have you tried the Ulti Mag tube?Right now that's all I have.I've got these BB and #4 loads coming later this week-
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp;jsessionid=0BX4LACNKX1AFLAQBBISCO3MCAEFEIWE?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20841&id=0069661217163a&navCount=7&podId=0069661&parentId=cat20841&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true&_requestid=31345
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0066034216249a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=+buckshot&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=4&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=26

Back