input on dead coyote chokes, what say you ??

Originally Posted By: 4paws US ARMYMy stoeger 2000 with standard turkey choke & number 2s shoot a really tight pattern. I wouldn't hesitate pulling the trigger at 65 yds.

A few questions if you don't mind... How tight? I mean "really tight" isn't a very accurate description of pellet counts in the 10" at point of aim so if you don't mind a bit more detail? How many have you killed at 65 yards? What kind of penetration did your #2's get at such ranges? Are those lead or tungsten or steel? Just curious…

My coyote gun is a Mossberg HS12 with a Burris fast fire II. I normally run the bottom barrel with a mod or full choke then the top barrel with dead coyote. I run 3in dead coyote shot. I went on a Sika deer hunt in VA last year, it was a shotgun only with buck shot hunt. I took the same setup with a Full in bottom barrel and Dead coyote in the top barrel (selected to shoot bottom then top) shooting 3in Winchester OO Buck.

We had a situation where a sika deer was shot and wounded (DISCLAMER, I would never take this shot if it wasn't wounded), It ran out to just over 100 yards and stopped broadside, I switched the selector the to top barrel (Dead Coyote choke), threw the gun up and put the red dot on the top of its back and let it fly. It dropped dead cold in its tracks. I had 3 witness to this shot. Sika deer are small, this deer dressed at 31 lbs. So they are not bigger than yotes. We pulled 5 pellets out of the side that I shot it on.

Thanks,
Boswell

Not impressed with its performance out of my mossberd 500. I do like it running 3" no. 5 & 6 for crows though. I'll stick with my primos tightwad until I get the cash for another choke to try.

Originally Posted By: KYR15Here in Ky. buckshot of any size is illegal to use for coyotes. So would you recommend Hevi-shot T's thru a modified choke or would you prefer just some #3's or #4's thru a turkey choke??

You need to look at the Kentucky hunting guide,because you can use any size buckshot to take coyotes.

Back